Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2016, 18:39   #46

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Blind rivets for mast - stainless steel or monel?

Perhaps the final blind rivet to mention is the exploding rivet... So I have this old 1940 Stinson Model 10 airplane. Stinson was owned by Consolidated Vultee Aircraft. Consolidated Vultee invented the exploding rivet for field repairs during WWII. The rivet has a small charge inside that blows up when you heat it.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 01:11   #47

Thumbs up Re: Blind rivets for mast - stainless steel or monel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisanmach View Post
Wow ! Thanks for that .
It's pretty clear that stainless is the better bet .
bustermaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:31   #48
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Real answer is the insulate dissimilar metals with Tef- Gel. Russ
If Tefgel is recommended for electrical connections, it can't insulate. Sounds like urban legend or puffing. I'm not sayin' it can't reduce corrosion--it can--it's just that the "insulation" angle is silly. I have seen no evidence that any product can actually do that under bolting and thread pressures.

From the Tefgel web site:

Tef-Gel does not electrically insulate hardware. The PTFE (40%) is ultra fine powder that will extrude out of the contact area and into the voids of the surrounding areas.
Tef-Gel applied between electrical contacts and connectors does not increase the resistance of the connections even at hundreds of amps, maintaining the integrity of EMI shielding.
Old 04-09-2016, 16:00   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
If Tefgel is recommended for electrical connections, it can't insulate. Sounds like urban legend or puffing. I'm not sayin' it can't reduce corrosion--it can--it's just that the "insulation" angle is silly. I have seen no evidence that any product can actually do that under bolting and thread pressures.

From the Tefgel web site:

Tef-Gel does not electrically insulate hardware. The PTFE (40%) is ultra fine powder that will extrude out of the contact area and into the voids of the surrounding areas.
Tef-Gel applied between electrical contacts and connectors does not increase the resistance of the connections even at hundreds of amps, maintaining the integrity of EMI shielding.
Just to add to that:

"The function of Tef-Gel in eliminating dissimilar metal corrosion is the elimination of electrolytes from entering the interface of the metallic surfaces. Tef-Gel paste contains 40% PTFE powder and 0% volatile solvents, no silicones or petroleum solvents to evaporate, which would leave voids for electrolytes to be drawn into creating a galvanic cell. When both surfaces are coated and mated with Tef-Gel there are no voids for electrolytes (saltwater) to be drawn in by capillary action over extended periods of time."
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 11:33   #50

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32

OK so ready this thread from start to finish and there is a lot of contradicting information. My mast was broken in Abaco Bahamas last year during Dorian. I am now getting ready to repair the mast that broke about half way up. my plan is to use countersunk Stainless Rivets with Stainless Mandrels. 'I'll be assembling them wet using Tefgel. I'll be making a sleeve out of a similar mast section or what ever I can find locally. The mast is about 45' and I was planning to use these rivets (maybe slightly longer). I was planning to drill, ream and countersink the hole before assembling. There are several things I need to research before finishing this project but this is the biggest hurdle I have in my way.

I'm looking for constructive criticism...

Regards Steven
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 12:21   #51

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Hi. I think it would keep the responses more on point if you could possibly post more information. Photos and specifications of your mast. What section. Can you construct a sleeve...photos would help immensely.
Do you seek a permanent repair or not.
More information will provide you with a more accurate solution.
Kindest regards, Mark the manatee
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, steel