Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2015, 11:24   #46
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21
Re: Best knot to attach single line to jib clew?

Will the Figure 8 hitch in the bight slip? Remember the tension will be applied on only one end at a time. It the twist cannot lock the unloaded side the hitch will siip
Old 08-11-2015, 11:47   #47

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony View Post
Will the Figure 8 hitch in the bight slip? Remember the tension will be applied on only one end at a time. It the twist cannot lock the unloaded side the hitch will siip
Not sure if this question was directed at me but this figure 8 appears to be same or similar to hamburkings double 8.
No experience with either but appears that knot will hold regardless of which way it's pulled. My opinion only.

Figure 8 Follow Through | How to tie the Figure 8 Follow Through | Climbing Knots
Old 08-11-2015, 12:00   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Figure 8 knot will hold regardless of what end is pulled. Its the go to knot for technical mountaineering.
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:49   #49

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

use a mid-line bowline with a shackle. you can slide the shackle on to the mid point and using it on the middle loop of three loops go over the right hand loop down in side it and come up betwixt the left and right loops go over the left hand loop and back through pall the loops towards the right pull the shackle and the two working ends gently till the knot is set. It will get tight and when you want to untie it you'll need a marlin spike. but it will come undone without cutting and won't slip in any direction. used them for years, in sailing, logging, climbing and cargo. Very useful knot. i find it very hard to cut a line ;-)
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:53   #50
Marine Service Provider

If I understand correctly you want a single piece of line attached at its center to the jib clew. No problem. I've done this for years with my roller genoa as a permanent attachment. Simply double a line which is at least twice as long as what would be needed for a single sheet, stick the loop at the center of the line (the bight) through the D-ring on the sail and pass the tails through the loop, tighten and run each half back to winches on both sides of the boat. This may be a "Cow" knot, don't know. Periodically I inspect this attachment for wear and move it 6-8 inches to one side or the other each time to even out any wear. It is easy to remove and has never slipped once. The jacket on my sheet has a slightly fuzzy surface which probably improves the grip. A smooth Dacron one may slip, I don't know.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:57   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
If I understand correctly you want a single piece of line attached at its center to the jib clew. No problem. I've done this for years with my roller genoa as a permanent attachment. Simply double a line which is at least twice as long as what would be needed for a single sheet, stick the loop at the center of the line (the bight) through the D-ring on the sail and pass the tails through the loop, tighten and run each half back to winches on both sides of the boat. This may be a "Cow" knot, don't know. Periodically I inspect this attachment for wear and move it 6-8 inches to one side or the other each time to even out any wear. It is easy to remove and has never slipped once. The jacket on my sheet has a slightly fuzzy surface which probably improves the grip. A smooth Dacron one may slip, I don't know.
That is a cow knot and a little slippage isn't a bad thing a couple inches a year helps stop chafe
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 13:02   #52
Marine Service Provider

Oh I get it, Cow hitch, like through the ring in the nose. Thanks, been a long time since I was on the farm.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 13:34   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

You could use a Brummell splice. It's a low bulk solution so will not hang up on shrouds. It does require opening two holes in the line and passing the tails through in a semi permanent set up. To undo, you have to pull the line back through to get to a single piece of line. Seem you are talking more or less permanent storm jib sheet, which is a good idea, and emergency use as jib sheet. After much frustration with bowlines on the Genoa hanging up on anything they could, went to a single piece sheet with a Brummell splice. Halelujah, no more hangups. Was a little concerned that the splice might slip but no problems even with 15 day sail to Hawaii with the sail up 24/7.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 13:39   #54

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Well, may be flogging a dead horse here, but I'm with Ann, cut it and use bowlines. The strain on a storm jib can be great and that is a sail you don't want to have to mess with. Of course you can always cut the sheet in an emergency, but at least with the bowline you have the option of untying it at the clew and freeing it. I am curious about the Brummel splice for this though, is it up to the loads on a storm jib? Hmmm....
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 13:58   #55

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Well, may be flogging a dead horse here, but I'm with Ann, cut it and use bowlines. The strain on a storm jib can be great and that is a sail you don't want to have to mess with. Of course you can always cut the sheet in an emergency, but at least with the bowline you have the option of untying it at the clew and freeing it. I am curious about the Brummel splice for this though, is it up to the loads on a storm jib? Hmmm....
After thinking, I don't see why not. With a soft shackle, the most slippery and detachable of the bunch?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 15:39   #56

Boat: Grampian 26

Clove hitch - I used one for years on a 135% genoa, never slipped, doesn't snag like one or two bowlines or a hard clevis. If our sailmaker hadn't cut the new sheets for the newer boat I'd still be using that hitch.

Cheers, Don

If we waited to be ready to start the journey we would never go.
donregan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 15:47   #57
Marine Service Provider

Cow hitch with a few stitches with sail twine. You can just cut them off when you want it off. Take 5 minutes to sew with a palm.
svJasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 16:11   #58

Boat: Northshore 33 ft sloop

I have just attached a sheet in the same situation using a reef knot.
it is working so far and has an interesting habit of forming a modified bow line when pulled on one end and reversing its shape when pulled on the other end. It also passes the mast without much fuss when tacking and is easy to undo.
mawtty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 16:37   #59

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
CAELESTIS beat me to it: eyesplices.

If you want a continuous sheet I would go with a bowline on the bight (coupled with a soft shackle). The load can be taken from either side with a loop like this.

I have seen an Alpine Butterfly loop used with a soft shackle, but after seeing how the Alpine Butterfly jams when the tension it applied to the loop and one end (it needs to be cut off if sufficient tension is applied), I don't favour this option.the AB loop is best if load is applied to the two ends.

Knot enough room generally.
You love that alpine butterfly eh SWL? I agree bowline on the bight.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 16:46   #60

Boat: Mariner36

I've used a cow hitch and have no problems with slipping
bkrizmanic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jib, knot, single