Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2015, 01:48   #16

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40
Re: Anchor Riding Sail - thoughts, experiences and designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
Just a thought, having never tried this, but I think a riding sail on the boom will be a lot less effective than a riding sail hanked on to a backstay.
The back stay gets the sail as far aft as possible.
Nigel,

I concur the backstay would be preferable and that this would place the sail as far aft as possible. However with the bimini in the way it's extremely difficult to reach the backstay in order to hank anything on, then there is the complication of rigging the "downhaul" and having to disconnect the topping lift from the boom to hoist the sail up the backstay.

So in the eternal search for the simple life this is why I wondered about just hoisting from the back of the boom as I have to kick it out to the side to access the topping lift anyway and it's easier to rig. If I were to rig the sail forward to a midships cleat on the same side it would only be about 75cm further forward than off the backstay. It would also remove the problem of sail/bimini interactions.

Of course I could "make" my sail with hank on clips so that both options were possible.

And I will look into a bridle set up but not sure how it would work with my Shockles Anchor Snubber and my very forward bow cleats.

Cheers to all

Keiron
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:20   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Keiron,

Regarding the bridle, I think the suggestion is a line from the midships, or even an aft cleat, and then made fast to the anchor chain. By adjusting the length of the line and the chain, you can turn the boat off the wind.

It's very useful when you have a swell coming from a different direction to the wind, it will enable you to turn the boat so that the bow is to the swell.

However, probably not a good idea in strong wind as you'll be lying across the wind and putting a lot of force on the anchor.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 13:08   #18

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Anyone ever try a riding sail on a cat?

When wind an current set up 180d opposed, some cats walk around like crazy. I wound up 180 opposed to a Catana (dagger boards) recently in light air and slow current opposed.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 13:17   #19

With a short fin keel you may need a riding sail. Just another tradeoff.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2020, 17:14   #20

What about the material? some use sailcloth 6-7oz, sailrite uses TOP-GUN on their kit? what do you think?
B_Hunter45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, enc, sail