Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2010, 09:55   #1

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43
Adding Luff Padding to a Roller Furler - DIY

Greetings,

I have a Sabre 34 with roller furling. The jib is still functional, but old enough that significant cash modifications are probably not warranted. When reefed, even a little, the jib rapidly becomes bellied out -- typical of roller reefing.

I'd like to consider adding a luff pad, either foam or rope. Has anyone undertaken this task? Any pointers? I've seen the foam type, and understand it. Sailrite sells 12" wide foam for this for $2.75/ft, which would run me just over $100 -- although I assume that would have to be top-coated with sailcloth. I have never seen the rope type pad in use, or even pictures, although the concept sounds pretty good. How is the rope stuff attached, and is it a DIY project? I've done heavy sewing work before, so if these projects are straightforward machine and hand sewing, I'm on it.

Any comments would be appreciated!

Harry
1979 Sabre 34
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:04   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
If the sail is as old and stretched as you said, then even adding a Luff pad is not going to make much difference. It is easy to install if you have a sail sewing machine. But it is a variable width addition to the sail with the widest portion up the luff nearest the middle of the sail and then it gets narrow at the top and bottom of the sail.
- - I would just suggest a new foresail with the luff padding built into the design by the sailmaker.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:18   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 42
We have a 155 with foam padding in the luff that came with the boat when we bought her. I have to say that I don't think much of the sail and I certainly wouldn't spend the money to have one made. If the fabric in your sail is still any good, have it recut. If not, the foam might extend the usedful life a bit but is it really worth the effort?

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:18   #4

Boat: a sailing boat
The need for more foam at the center can also be solved by adding two stripes along the luff - one longer along about 75% of the luff and one shorter along only the area where the sail is deepest (perhaps 50% of luff's length). Space them well for perfect rolling.

Works very well on our sail.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:10   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
I had a rope type installed by a sail loft on a previous boat, and didn't think much of it in terms of how it pointed when partially furled. In my mind, the only good way to have a good range is to have at least two sails, a jib and a genoa, and swap them out as conditions warrant.
Old 11-09-2010, 20:34   #6

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43
As an avid racer (on OPB's), I have to agree with Bash that the only really good way to perform in heavy air is to shift down to a #2 or #3. However, my boat is a 34 footer that I sail with my girlfriend, a good-spirited but very inexperienced lady. I can't see doing a headsail change on a pitching foredeck with her -- and then I REALLY can't see stuffing that big wet 150% down below! Yes, on the Olson 30 I race on, we'd do that half way through a weather leg without a second thought. Roller reefing brings cruising to the boat sailed by a couple.

And I have to agree that my headsail probably needs replacing. It certainly would be an improvement, even if it doesn't "need" it. But a used sail that is better than mine is over $1000, and a new one runs north of $3K -- and neither of those numbers are in the budget for this year or next. Better alternator, upgraded wiring, leaky ports, propane conversion (CNG vanished overnight here in Annapolis), and other more urgent tasks have my budget pegged.

I was contemplating an affordable way to "improve" the performance of a sail that is going to last 2-3 more years, minimum. I have more time than money, and a willing attitude. But I also sometimes beat dead horses. And from these responses, it sounds like I'm better off living with the huge belly (and the associated hit on point and heel) when the wind demands a reef (or rolling it all up and motoring), than wasting time on this project.

Which was probably the point of my question! I appreciate the reality check. I could well have found myself this winter spending $100 and a few hours on the task, which sounds to be the proverbial dead horse.

Thanks again for the input,

Harry
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:34   #7

Boat: Jeanneau 419
Free fix - tighten the backstay, as in really tight
Jimbo2010 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:31   #8

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
If you want to see if the sail really does have any life left in it, or at least use it until the end of the season, why not get some thin foam, of reasonable density, cut it to the taper, spot tack it with contact cement on some sail-repair tape squares, and seal the edges with sail repair tape.
Not the prettiest, but an inexpensive test.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:05   #9

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
If you want to see if the sail really does have any life left in it, or at least use it until the end of the season, why not get some thin foam, of reasonable density, cut it to the taper, spot tack it with contact cement on some sail-repair tape squares, and seal the edges with sail repair tape.
Not the prettiest, but an inexpensive test.
I think that is a very good idea - you can get some of the thin foam padding/sheets used to pack stuff for mailing. It is about an eighth to quarter inch thick. Then use duck tape or fabric tape (available in better hardware stores and Home Depot - type stores) to attach it to the luff of the foresail. It should hold up for a couple/three days while you try out the system to see if it really makes any difference in the sail when partially furled.
- - Before spending hundreds or more dollars and lots of time getting a real foam luff tape installed, it would be nice to know if it will make any difference - or - it is just time to get a new foresail.
- - If the sailcloth is not frayed or has a lot of patched tears in it, you can get it cleaned and re-resined by an outfit like "Sailcare" in Pennsylvania and then have a sailmaker re-cut the sail to take out the stretch.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:55   #10

Boat: a sailing boat
I have seen many new furling sails done very, very well and still efficient when partly furled. The problem is, with many cruising boats, the sail to be furled is a relatively biggish genoa and, furled, it will move the SA way fore - perhaps not what you want when going upwind in heavy air.

Thus, if there is an inner forestay, hoisting a smaller, flatter jib will nearly always be the way to go.

A good sailmaker can make a well furling jib that will be usable half-furled. Successful retrofitting may be much more difficult and often not worth the buck.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 13:06   #11
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
As an avid racer (on OPB's), I have to agree with Bash that the only really good way to perform in heavy air is to shift down to a #2 or #3. However, my boat is a 34 footer that I sail with my girlfriend, a good-spirited but very inexperienced lady. I can't see doing a headsail change on a pitching foredeck with her -- and then I REALLY can't see stuffing that big wet 150% down below!
Actually, I was suggesting making the switch at the dock. Here in SF Bay, where summer winds are reliably heavy and winter winds are reliably light, we switch to the yankee in mid-spring, and then back to the lapper in mid-fall. As a consequence, even though we may sometimes be overpowered in the winter and underpowered in the summer, we can always point high enough to tack through 70 degrees or less. (And if we're reaching and need a bit more power, there's always the gennaker.)
Old 10-10-2015, 16:42   #12

Boat: 1986 Mainship 40
Re: Adding Luff Padding to a Roller Furler - DIY

For whatever it's worth, we just bought a used 8.5oz, 110% with a 44' luff
from Second Wind Sails in Fort Lauderdale for $600.00. For another $200 they cleaned it. It's in great shape and nice and clean. We found John Malloy, who owns the company, to be very helpful. He gave us great advice on the fabric weight we need for where we plan to sail; and he had the best prices the of any of the sites we checked; and we've been shopping online since May. You can reach him at: info@secondwindsails.com; and the web address is secondwindsails.com.
Old 20-10-2015, 11:13   #13

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Harry,
We installed a luff rope on our 135% genoa last Winter. The sail sets much cleaner than before and can reef to 100% without bellying. Good luck and good sailing.
Old 20-10-2015, 22:46   #14

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

"Harry,
We installed a luff rope on our 135% genoa last Winter. The sail sets much cleaner than before and can reef to 100% without bellying. Good luck and good sailing."

rog, that thread was five years old... that sail is probably in the dumpster by now!

Jim
Old 21-10-2015, 08:18   #15

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
"Harry,
We installed a luff rope on our 135% genoa last Winter. The sail sets much cleaner than before and can reef to 100% without bellying. Good luck and good sailing."

rog, that thread was five years old... that sail is probably in the dumpster by now!

Jim

Thanks, Jim,
I guess we all will have a good laugh with this one! Best, Rognvald

Tags
roller furler