Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2022, 11:16   #1

Water system spitting air on all faucets

Hi - thanks in advance for any help. I’ve searched other threads but they don’t sound like my issue.

I’ve got a 35’ Regal SC and recently the water stopped coming out of the head or faucets. Just air and a dribble of water. The level meter always shows 1/4 so I think it isn’t working (I added what I think is plenty of water but can’t be sure because of this). While adding water I tried turning on faucets and turned out they worked great while I was adding water to the tank. Just the pressure of adding water seems to work. But then I closed up the hose port and turned the water system on and after a couple of seconds it was all air again. I cleaned out the strainer but otherwise don’t know where to begin.
lsdillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2022, 11:19   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Water system spitting air on all faucets

Do you have more than one tank?

You said you closed the hose port…..are you hooked to a shore water connection on the boat? Or are you filling a tank fill directly on the deck?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2022, 11:25   #3

I have one tank under the mid cabin berth with a connection on the stern that I was filling from a shore line.
Old 22-07-2022, 12:55   #4

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

You have air infiltration into your system somewhere. Could be in the pump or fittings to same?
Old 22-07-2022, 13:02   #5

That makes sense. I’m just not sure where to start on troubleshooting. Should I disconnect the pump and just inspect it for bad gaskets and such or should I try to see if a hose has a crack or bad connection? I have a company scheduled to look but it will be 1.5 months and I’d rather not wait that long.
Old 22-07-2022, 13:03   #6

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Can't hurt to inspect the pump and fittings. I have heard of the actually barbs cracking sometimes. Not sure what you are using but barbs, hoses and gaskets are all suspects.
Old 22-07-2022, 13:25   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsdillard View Post
I have one tank under the mid cabin berth with a connection on the stern that I was filling from a shore line.

Is this connection the type you connect the hose to, or is this a deck fill, something you put the hose in.

From your description, you don’t really know if there’s any water in your tank…..and it sort of sounds like you’re connected to the shore water connection.

I’m just trying to eliminate the east stuff first.

Otherwise you’ll need to check all of the suction side hose and fittings.
Old 22-07-2022, 14:40   #8

Appreciate it. It is the type you connect the hose to. I had it fully open from the spigot for at least 10 minutes, so it may not be full but it should have plenty of water. It’s a 50 gallon tank.
I think I will take off the level meter so I can look inside (it’s metal so can’t tell how full it is visually). Then I’ll take a good look at the pump and spritz some places to see if I can see any air bubbles on hoses or connections. Hopefully that’s a decent next step.
Really appreciate the responses btw!
Old 22-07-2022, 15:06   #9

Quote:
Appreciate it. It is the type you connect the hose to. I had it fully open from the spigot for at least 10 minutes, so it may not be full but it should have plenty of water. It’s a 50 gallon tank.
I think I will take off the level meter so I can look inside (it’s metal so can’t tell how full it is visually). Then I’ll take a good look at the pump and spritz some places to see if I can see any air bubbles on hoses or connections. Hopefully that’s a decent next step.
Really appreciate the responses btw!

A suction side leak won’t make any bubbles……it’s on the suction side.

What your looking for is a loose or cracked fitting or damaged hose between the pump and the tank. You may even have an inlet strainer on the pump that could be loose.
Old 22-07-2022, 15:42   #10

Open all faucets especially the highest one while pumping to remove air. If your pump is high in the boat you may need to prime if you ran out of water .

However, it's possible your tank vent fitting outside the hull is clogged with insects. This creates a vacuum and the pump wont pump well.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2022, 08:35   #11

Fill the tank and look for leaks along the pipes. That could be where you are drawing air from. Check any one way valves. Keep it simple.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2022, 08:35   #12

I agree with Cheechako. If you’re getting water while adding water, but the flow stops after you close up the supply line to the tank, you may have a blockage in the tank vent. This happened to me; I went out and bought a new pump before figuring it out. Find the vent and stick a length of flexible wire into it — not more than one foot should do. This should clear any blockage caused by bugs (“daubers,” most likely) and allow air into the tank, and the water should start flowing as soon as the pump can grab it.
arthur.watson.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2022, 08:42   #13

The water connection is used when using dock water and does not fill the tank, there should be a deck fill somewhere.
Escapaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2022, 08:51   #14

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40

Two things come to mind.
1. your vent is blocked so when you draw water you pull a vacuum in the tank
2. your line from the tank to the pump is pulling air

My boat had a bunch of Legris type fittings, where you just push the tube into the fitting. They were watertight but they leaked air in when drawing from the tank, causing spitting.
vpbarkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2022, 09:18   #15

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Air is going to come from three places, an air leak into your pickup in the tank, leaks along the inlet line, or internal pump leakage.
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water