Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2017, 12:40   #46

Boat: 39' Custom built junk rigged cat ketch
Re: Troubleshooting Vacuflush

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
Btw...I've saved the V/Flush troubleshooting guide--which includes the probable causes and cures for just about any symptom it can develop as a freestanding PDF and have also written a piece I call "VacuFlush 101" that explains how it works (it's amazing how many people don't actually know) and how to keep it trouble-free. I'll be glad to send both to anyone who wants 'em...just send me a PM that includes your email address.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
http://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-Bo...dp/1892399784/
Hi Peggie, my daughter just bought a boat with two older manual vacu-flush toilets. We'd love to have the trouble shooting guide, thanks , I'll pm my email.
fourlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 14:50   #47
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlyons View Post
Hi Peggie, my daughter just bought a boat with two older manual vacu-flush toilets. We'd love to have the trouble shooting guide, thanks , I'll pm my email.
Already sent. However...there is no such thing as a manual VacuFlush. If it is a "vacuum" toilet I suspect what she actually has is a Lavac Lavac Marine Toilets. Or, depending on the type of boat, it's possible that she has direct drop RV toilets with bowls that look exactly like VacuFlush.

You have my email address...have her contact me...I'll be glad to help her sort out what she has.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
--------
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 18:35   #48

Hi Peggie, I'd love to get the PDF's that you mentioned. I just received your book from Amazon, but I'll take all the tools I can get. I'm determined to beat these things! Thanks!
richivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 18:50   #49
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by richivey View Post
Hi Peggie, I'd love to get the PDF's that you mentioned. I just received your book from Amazon, but I'll take all the tools I can get. I'm determined to beat these things! Thanks!
I'll be glad to send to you if you'll send me a private message that includes your email address. I can't attach anything to a PM.

Thanks for buying the book...I think you'll find it useful!

Peggie
Old 26-11-2017, 23:50   #50

Hi everyone,

I have a problem with vacuum.

The pump runs for about 2 mins, than stops and I can hear zzzzzzz sound right above the bellows.

Than after about 3 mins it starts pumping again.

Is it bellows or could it be any O ring below it?

I understand that if duckbills were bad than I wouldnt be able to hear the zzzzz sound right above the bellows, correct?
g550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 06:46   #51
Marine Service Provider

I'm guessing that by "zzzzz" you mean there's the sound of hissing air, in which case you're on the right track: it's either a leak in the bellows or a worn out o-ring in the pump. That it takes up to 3 minutes for the pump to run again indicates just a very small pinhole leak. However, unless the vacuum pump (or vacuum generator) is way too far from the bowl, it shouldn't have to run longer than about 45 seconds to re-establish vacuum after a flush.

How old is the system?

Peggie
Old 27-11-2017, 07:26   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
Yup... However, flushing with sea water is gonna open up a whole new can of worms--intake odor (be sure to install strainer to keep sea life out), calcium carbonate buildup etc... And then there's the matter of making sure there can't be any cross contamination of your fresh water system--which will require permanent removal of that toilet from the fresh water plumbing.

IMO, you'd be better off just using a bucket or keep some gallon milk jugs full of sea water handy for toilet flushing if you need to conserve your fresh water.
I'll second Peg's comment here! Changing to salt water WILL add a lot to your maintenance of this otherwise very robust system.

I had a Vacuflush system in daily liveaboard service for 15 years. Other than replacing the duckbills every 6 months, and (I think) the bowl seal once, it was totally maintenance free. It just worked. Not at all your typical boat part!

If you use salt water to flush you WILL need to clean out hoses, and the pump. Even daily use of vinegar (no matter what you hear) will not stop the inevitable clogging.

It really uses very little water on a daily basis. We did ocean crossings with 2 people and 80 gallons of water total and a Vacuflush with fresh water only flush.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 07:39   #53

Thanks Peghall,

the pump is at least 10ft away from the bowl and the system is quite old. It reads Sealand 12VG.

I will post the pic after I visit the boat.
g550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 08:12   #54
Marine Service Provider

Everything has a lifespan...and except for duckbill valves, replacement parts are expensive! It may be time to consider replacing it with a macerating electric toilet. A Raritan Marine Elegance (top rated macerating electric toilet) wouldn't cost you a lot more than a replacement vacuum pump--which you're gonna need sooner or later. The bellows alone for yours is almost $100.
Old 30-06-2018, 09:45   #55

Hi Peggie,

I'm not a trusted member yet so I can't email you.
So far I replaced the duckbills and then still had a vacuum leak after a min or less. I bought a tester and isolated it to the toilet. With the tester down the bowl, it holds the vacuum. I then replace the toilet 2 part gasket. I still have a leak. What else on the bowl side could leak?
jfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2018, 11:10   #56
Marine Service Provider

Does the bowl hold water? If not, the "dome" isn't sealing. That's not always caused by a worn seal...it's also the result of easing the pedal back up instead of just letting it go. Many owners don't realize that it's spring loaded for a reason: to let the dome snap back into place with enough force to seal the opening. Over time, the dome no longer seals completely.

Replacing the flush pedal kit (it used to be called the "ball, shaft and cartridge" kit, but I think it's been renamed...the tech support people at Dometic in Ohio will know what it is) is most likely the only cure. Give 'em a call at 800-321-9886.

--Peggie
Old 30-06-2018, 18:24   #57

Toilet holds water. I ordered the ball and shaft kit. I hope it works this toilet is driving me crazy.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:03   #58

one more thing should I out silicone or grease on the shaft and cartridge as I reassemble?
Old 01-07-2018, 06:06   #59
Marine Service Provider

Only if the installation instructions call for it.

--Peggie
Old 15-07-2018, 05:13   #60

I just wanted to update the thread and let everyone know the ball/shaft/spring kit fixed my issue. It holds a vacuum now.