Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2011, 03:05   #1

Tilt-Tolerant Danfoss Compressor for Portable Refrigerator

Considering adding this

ARB Fridge Freezers for 4x4 Adventures

instead of an Alder Barbour cold machine and leaving my ice box an ice box. I have a small monohull.

This unit (the ARB) apparently uses the Danfoss compressor, and is rated for 30 degrees of tilt.

This material discusses the parameters of the Danfoss

Catalogue - Direct Current Compressors - Danfoss Compressors - (Version JPG)

I am assuming the Danfoss compressors in the Adler and ARB are the same, as I cannot find a more tilt tolerant compressor than the 30 degree one on the Danfoss site. Anyone believe otherwise? And by extension is it reasonable to assume the ARB portable is as robust from a tilt standpoint as the Adler Barbour and would be therefore be acceptable in a monohull.

Other portable refrigerators (Engel, Whynter/Edgestar) don't seem to have the danfoss compressor. Does anyone think these are inferior? They seem a little less expensive than the ARB. Edgestar, for example, if you read the pdf of the manual, says the unit must be level... I'm guessing a cheaper compressor?

Does the Adler Barbour have something these portable units don't in terms of marine suitability beyond the heel issue? And obviously the installation piece.

The portables are appealing to me as they cost less and the install is less involved. They have large capacities and don't seem too power hungry. I found some ARB reviews on a 4 wheeling website where people had them in their vehicles in texas with 130 degree fahrenheit conditions and were very happy with the performance. Even cruising near the equator would not be that hot (I am figuring ambient temp would effect cycle time and amp use as well as longevity).

By the way, I looked at the very long Stirling thread on this forum (well some of it). I saw the coleman on amazon... it is little. The ARB comes in an 82 quart (2.7 cubic feet) version.
cmzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 04:31   #2

Boat: Bavaria 47
Re: danfoss compressor portable refrigerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmzs View Post
I am assuming the Danfoss compressors in the Adler and ARB are the same, as I cannot find a more tilt tolerant compressor than the 30 degree one on the Danfoss site...
I'm currently installing a new refrigerator in my boat. The old one had a Danfoss 35F, the new one (made by Waeco) uses the more powerful 50F. Within the 35/50 ranges the compressors are all the same, but the condensers are different. In the UK, most marine refrigerators use a Danfoss, and even some in the US (Adler Barbour, Waeco USA), so I think you can assume they are reliable.
Old 31-07-2011, 04:50   #3

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Re: danfoss compressor portable refrigerator

We purchased a 64 quart edgestar, very similar to a dometic, it does quick freeze funtction, regular freezing or any temp above. Draws just over 2 amps. Ran it off its own deep cycle for 3 days, while heeled around 15-18 degrees on our last trip and she worked great! Cost was just over 400. The colemans are JUNK. They draw 10 amps plus, and dont cool more then 20-30 degrees below outside temp. They are also very very noisey. Fine for a car but not in a cabin. The colemans power chill also does work very well as a cooler and persihables go bad very quick.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 18:39   #4

Re: Tilt-Tolerant Danfoss Compressor for Portable Refrigerator

thanks for the input!
cmzs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor, refrigerator