Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2014, 19:40   #166

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45
Re: The Best Marine Toilet

What is TP?
Cherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 19:49   #167

Boat: 1981 51' Formosa

Terrible Poop
Formosa Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:06   #168

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

I have a perfectly good LAVAC Zenith model toilet, without the Henderson pump, that I would like to pass on to someone who will appreciate its value. I am readying for a cruise and installing a second toilet, so I have decided to make all my toilets the same model, choosing the Popular for the refit. I replaced the seat and lid seals a couple years ago, and have had no problems whatsoever with the unit. Anyone interested? I don't have any closeup pics, but I can send them if you need confirmation. You will, of course, have to pick it up or have it shipped from San Diego.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2008-6-9.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	396.5 KB
ID:	89121  
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:36   #169
h20

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
best manual toilet i ever found was a baby blake. for the money, it better be.
these days any toilet that reliably functions is the best. but i will not have a composting head as they are not what i want in my boat.
Dear Zeehag, seems like you have been around the block! WHY? is a compost bad?
It does not look like a factory made compost will fit in my
Smelly O’Day 35. So whats in a composter?
A vent, dump tray, pee holder, stir mechanism for peat moss or other.
Seems like for a thousand dollars I should be able to make a perfect fitting box for the bathroom. Ply wood, fiberglass paint and a vent motor. If it was just me, I would just use a bucket. My wife won’t go for that. Anyway maybe the top can come off my box and I can have a trash bag liner. After she poops maybe she can throw a cup of peat on it and in a couple days use a kitty litter stir with some more. Has anyone here made a composter?
It just seems like If i cahnge all the hoses on the convetional
head and maybe the holding tank it's gona smell bad no matter what. I have been on expensive fancy boats that smell bad. The boats that I can't smell have compost heads.
h20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:42   #170
h20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formosa Scott View Post
We have lived aboard for 11 years. I helped people work on their boats and worked on my own as well. Three or fours years ago I got to the point where I refuse to work on anymore marine heads. We owned some of the best. I helped install "the best" systems in other boats. All of these failed and were a headache in one aspect or another.
I now have a composting toilet, that's not for everybody so I will let you know my last electric setup which was the best one. I satared with this manual head, the hose arrangement is important Thetford ComfortMate Manual Toilet I ditched the manual pump and added this (or similar) macerator pump in it's place Johnson Macerator Pump
The water supply was a thru-hull and a pump like this Jabsco Water Puppy Bronze Pump

The beauty of this setup, the pumps are no joke and get the job done. The pumps can be replaced individually and multiple brands will interchange meaning if you do have an issue you can fix it instead of waiting days for a part to come in. Also the pumps can be placed where they are easy to get to.
Sorry Formosa Scott if this post repeats, I sent one to Zee Hag to ask why compost are good or bad. Any ideas to build a custom composter? It does not look like a factory made compost will fit in my
Smelly O’Day 35. So whats in a composter?
A vent, dump tray, pee holder, stir mechanism for peat moss or other.
Seems like for a thousand dollars I should be able to make a perfect fitting box for the bathroom. Ply wood, fiberglass paint and a vent motor. If it was just me, I would just use a bucket. My wife won’t go for that. Anyway maybe the top can come off my box and I can have a trash bag liner. After she poops maybe she can throw a cup of peat on it and in a couple days use a kitty litter stir with some more. Has anyone here made a composter?
It just seems like If i cahnge all the hoses on the convetional
head and maybe the holding tank it's gona smell bad no matter what. I have been on expensive fancy boats that smell bad. The boats that I can't smell have compost heads.
h20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 22:34   #171

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherp View Post
What is TP?
A commodity that, in certain economies such as Japan, is subject to wild fluctations in the marketplace, to the point that the current government of Premier Abe recommends households stockpile one month's supply or more.

See: Why is the government urging residents to stock up on toilet paper? - 毎日新èž

Cynics suggest that Abe's hike in April 2014 of the value added tax has killed the Japanese economy stone dead. So now Abe is hoping that a scare tactic will lead to a TP-led consumer revival.

Note the cruiser-related slogan: 15 rolls on a dead man's chest.

Al
Alan Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 02:49   #172

Boat: Wibo 1100 36 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherp View Post
What is TP?
Draikhyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 16:11   #173

Boat: Freya double ender 40 ft

Lavac. what we are really deciding here is which is the second best
Old 19-02-2015, 21:54   #174

Boat: Seawind 1160

I have Johnson Aquat Marine Silent Electric Premium Toilets in a 4 year old cat.
I was a Johnson Dealer years back and never had hardly a return, shame I have not had the same luck.
Both heads failed in their seals which failed motors within 24 months Johnson supplied complete new toilets. Nice. They failed also within 12 months Johnson supplied new motors this week one of the replaced motors failed same problem seal failed letting water into pump? Anyone else suffered same faults or am I just lucky? Have to see how I go trying to get another warranty claim on a warranty motor???
poppyduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 23:51   #175

Boat: Allegro 33

Blake Victory, That's Blake Babys big sister.
I just bought one in bad shape and have now renewed it to as good as new.

The price of a new one is mind boggling
Buy Superyacht Blakes Lavac Victory Right Hand Toilet Manual Toilet at Marine Megastore Chandlery 15% off orders over £300!*
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGP0337.JPG
Views:	416
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	97481  
hasse_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 01:16   #176
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

If you have power and have room for a vent line, Incinolet seems to be reliable. I have them to avoid a holding tank. They run on 120/240 and are an incinerating toilet. It has a regular seat and uses a bowl liner. When "flushing" the liner and it cargo is dropped into a ceramic bowl and incinerated and vented thru plastic pipe. I haven't had any failures in several years. Excess paper or womens' products are not a problem. The marine version is all stainless and no issues with no discharge zones. No pump to replace or pipes to unplug. The burn gases do not have a sewage smell.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	incinolet.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	97482  
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 17:54   #177

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
If you have power and have room for a vent line, Incinolet seems to be reliable. I have them to avoid a holding tank. They run on 120/240 and are an incinerating toilet. It has a regular seat and uses a bowl liner. When "flushing" the liner and it cargo is dropped into a ceramic bowl and incinerated and vented thru plastic pipe. I haven't had any failures in several years. Excess paper or womens' products are not a problem. The marine version is all stainless and no issues with no discharge zones. No pump to replace or pipes to unplug. The burn gases do not have a sewage smell.

Incinerates sounds like lots of contained energy in a small space. ( caution )
Fueled by electricity or propane?
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 19:03   #178
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasse_A View Post
Blake Victory, That's Blake Babys big sister.
I just bought one in bad shape and have now renewed it to as good as new.

The price of a new one is mind boggling
Buy Superyacht Blakes Lavac Victory Right Hand Toilet Manual Toilet at Marine Megastore Chandlery 15% off orders over £300!*
Well, at least there's that 15% discount! Lol.
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 19:27   #179

Boat: 1978 Rafiki 35
Re: The best marine toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
Remind me, "where is it that you anchor"?

LAVAC because I can't afford a BLAKE..
Ancient Wilcox-Crittenden Winner after rebuild because I can't afford a LAVAC or BLAKE.
JerseyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 12:52   #180

Another vote for Lavac. Ours were very dependable over two years of heavy use (3 adults 4 kids / two heads). Only problems were the seat cover, which our our model was not terrible strong and developed cracks after being used for a seat for awhile (taking showers) and had to be replaced. The new "Popular" model has a strong seat cover so it looks like this issue has been addressed.

Also had an issue the push button, which was supposed to be self timed, after a while would not last long enough. I eventually just replaced it with a push button you had to hold for 30 secs.

I plumbed mine up with an electric and manual pump in series. That way U had a backup if the electric motor went bad (which it never did). The electric option scores many points with the female crew, which is important for crew moral.

Another advantage of the Lavac is that you can easily do a fresh water flush if you want to leave fresh water in the system. Just leave the lid open and pour fresh water in as you pump. Since there is no suction drawing in salt water, you are left with only fresh water in the system. Also good for periodic cleaning with white vinegar.

I've also had the Raritan Sea Era. It works well enough, but it leaks water into the bowl through the inbound water hose, which fills the bowl up to the waterline, which is just at the very brim on my boat. I called Raritan and they said there was nothing to do about it. I've also had a motor go bad I had to replace. The thing with the Sea Era I would hesitate to use long term cruising is that there doesn't seem to be a manual flush alternative option for emergencies.
Iriemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine