Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2014, 03:30   #1

Boat: Tashing Baba 40
Sinks and Shower Discharge Overboard?

My wife and I were planning to spend our first over-night on the new boat (1985 Baba 40) now that all the major systems are in place. As I was at the store to buy dish soap, bath soap, etc. for the boat, it occurred to me that our sinks and shower drain directly overboard. As near as I can tell, that is the way she was built.

That leads me to two questions. Where do I stand legally as far as direct discharge from shower and dishes, and where do I stand from an ethical / sharing an anchorage perspective?

Half of me says "you are probably grandfathered, so use bio-degradable camping soaps and move along" and half of me says "don't even think of using the sinks / shower until you retrofit a grey water system".

I guess this should have dawned on me sooner, but we've been busy with other things like fuel tanks and a mast.

Thanks,
Dave.

www.sv-agnesrose.org
dstrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:54   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Sinks and shower discharge overboard?

Check the local discharge rules, but I've never heard of gray water discharge restrictions for pleasure vessels anywhere except Turkey (and even there I don't think they are implemented yet), and some small areas in nature reserves. I have only ever seen one pleasure boat with a gray water holding tank in my entire life. In Maryland, there seems to be no restriction on gray water discharge even in No Discharge Zones: Maryland Department of Natural Resources - Boating

In my opinion, gray water is pretty harmless. If you are concerned about it, just use a really biodegradable shampoo and soap.

Requiring gray water to be held and pumped out would be awfully burdensome for pleasure boats, as you would need a holding tank more or less the same size as your fresh water tank. The only way to implement that on most boats, even very large ones, would be to halve the fresh water tankage.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:07   #3

Boat: Tashing Baba 40

Huh! I just assumed in the modern "environmentally conscious" age, dishwater overboard would get you protesters outside the marina. Once again, that is what happens when you assume. Good to know.

Thanks!

www.sv-agnesrose.org
dstrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:25   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

What Dockhead said.

Still useful to choose environmentally friendly products, and before you wash cookware, capture as much cooking oil as you can with paper towels first... and so forth... but you'll find all pleasure boats around here discharge grey water directly.

-Chris
Old 05-06-2014, 05:21   #5
cruiser

Re: Sinks and Shower Discharge Overboard?

Baba 40 a beautiful boat; I came very close to buying one 25 years ago.

Pump the grey water overboard and feel no environmental shame... nothing harmed. The next time you pass a freighter or tanker and see them flushing out their bilge, you will then understand just how insignificant an impact your grey water has on... anything.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:23   #6

Same here in Florida. Even in the "no discharge" zone of the Keys/Everglades that only applies to black water discharge, and draining sinks and showers overboard is fine.

I would, however, echo Chris's comment that choosing environmentally friendly soaps--while not legally required--is, in my opinion, the right thing to do.
denverd0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:47   #7

The whole overboard discharge is silly except in a very small number of specific situations (ie: black water in enclosed marina basins).

Relax it will cause no harm. If it makes you feel better get the eco tree hugger brands of soap.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:18   #8

Boat: Skookum 53'

Have you hugged your tree today?
Old 05-06-2014, 09:06   #9

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Good to be conscious about it but you're ok. Don't listen to the tree hugging comments, you're the kind of guy we want to be sharing an anchorage with!

The bilges of a tanker are interesting but careful not to justify anything based on what they do. People can easily extend that to black water when it is inconvenient to go to the tank, because of the practices of big ships, local septics, dogs on the banks, or other runoff from development

Happy sailing, nice boat.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:13   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Have you hugged your tree today?
I tried but dang it hurts.

valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:55   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheoah View Post
. . . People can easily extend that to black water when it is inconvenient to go to the tank, because of the practices of big ships, local septics, dogs on the banks, or other runoff from development
Bit of thread drift, and I suppose this ground has been covered before, but I really think that black water discharge into the sea is mostly ok, too. I wouldn't discharge it in an anchorage where people are swimming; in a locked basin; in a non-tidal marina; near a beach. But otherwise I really don't think it does any harm. This is the position of the UK government, which did a very extensive study of black water discharge from pleasure boats and concluded that no regulation is necessary. So in the UK you can discharge black water wherever you like, other than in marinas and locked ports.

The volume is really important -- the tiny volume of discharges from pleasure boats is quickly diluted to nothing (unlike the situation with discharges from ships) -- remember the old adage "the solution to pollution is dilution". And it's quickly broken down in the sea -- human waste is nothing if not "biodegradable". Even quicker if your black water is macerated, as it is on my vessel.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:05   #12

Boat: Skookum 53'

Wow that is a really unfriendly tree. I thought kiave trees had some mean thorns.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:16   #13

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
So in the UK you can discharge black water wherever you like, other than in marinas and locked ports.

Black water discharge is a healt/hygiene problem. Not an environmental one. It is indeed biodegradable. The e-coli bacteria in human waste are the issue. You don't want to many of them in water where children swim in...
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:28   #14
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
Black water discharge is a healt/hygiene problem. Not an environmental one. It is indeed biodegradable. The e-coli bacteria in human waste are the issue. You don't want to many of them in water where children swim in...
There's always someone who thinks their poop is special.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:31   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
Well, again, IMHO, the solution to pollution is dilution. I wouldn't discharge black water where children swim. But a couple of miles offshore -- or a couple of miles up the coast -- I don't see the problem.

Tags
overboard, shower