Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2007, 06:20   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Hunter Legend 37.5 1993
Send a message via Skype™ to Inkwell
Sealand's VacuFlush

Since I may need to replace the head. I am thinking of going with a fresh water flush. I have a 75 gallon water tank">fresh water tank and do local sailing, so fresh water is not a problem. I am loking at the Sealand vacuflush with the " cassette style" holding tank. What is a cassette style holding tank? Any input/advise will be helpful.
Inkwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2007, 09:07   #2

Boat: Stevens 47
I have some experience with Vacuflush; though only since June, with a unit already installed on Totem when we bought her.
The pros:
-no stink
-no mess
-no pumping (especially good with small kids)

The cons:
-questionable quality of some elements: in particular, the linkage arms between pump and diaphragm are fastened by sheet metal screws. I investigated excess pump noise to find 3 of 4 screw had backed out and fallen onto the rubber diaphragm (prior to my owning the boat). Consequently the plastic linkage arms showed a lot of wear and the fallen screws had chafed the rubber diaphragm. I reattached the linkage with bolts, though the arms are badly worn and in need of replacement.
-occasional clogs: perhaps the result of small kids, but it seems very sensitive to the amount of paper/material being flushed.

The pros are really really great. The cons may be manageable for “local sailing”. We are leaving in June to cruise for some years and I don’t think Vacuflush rates for that.
svTOTEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2007, 17:18   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
You might also want to consider a Tecma. Different idea, but has gotten rave reviews. I'm not connected with them in any way.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2007, 17:34   #4

Boat: Trismus 37
LAVAC! Not fresh water flush, though you could plumb it up that way if you wanted to, I have O/S discharge, holding tank, and pump out available. You could substitute a cassette for the holding tank. fool proof toilet.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 07:16   #5

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
I highly recommend fresh water flush if you can swing it. I've had it on my last two boats (VacuFlush and Jabsco electric) and it makes a huge difference in being able to keep the head smelling nice and the toilet clean.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:43   #6

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
I have a Sealand Vacuflush with a holding tank or bypass when we are out far enough. I have had various other types over the years. This is the one I like the best so far. Just be sure paper doesn't get caught in the ball seal. The pump will just keep on pumping as you lose the vacuum. It is easily remedied and you can set up an alarm if you can't hear the pump.
Old 26-08-2008, 18:47   #7

Boat: Beneteau 473
I found this old thread on the Vacuflush. I want to install this system or something similar.

Based on what I have read I assume you can direct the discharge overboard when appropriate.

Any new comments on Sealands Vacuflush? I looked at the website for Tecma and the home page photo alone nearly swayed me.
SilentOption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 10:04   #8

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
The diverter valve allows to direct the discharge to holding tank or overboard. It uses very little fresh water and as a result the holding tank does not require emptying as often. As a liveaboard this is important. I would not want anything else.
Old 27-08-2008, 11:15   #9

Boat: PETERSON 44
I have both a sealand and lavac. For me the sealad has worked flawlessly. I did some repairs before cruising this summer. Replaced the main pump motor and footvalve. cruised a family of 5 and no issues no clogging. Had to use the shower head to add an extra rinse. Capacity by reducing water consumption makes the fresh water used a non issue. The lavac works great as well the kids have clogged it a few times but it has been easy to clear. Could be a hard choice between the 2. I think the lavac is more bulletproof less parts easier to maintain.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 12:00   #10
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Our VacuFlush has worked pretty well for us for over six years now. It does get clogged every now and then. Always when used by someone not familiar with it. It seems to like it better when less TP is used. For the infrequent clogs, a standard rubber toilet plunger works well, and was recommended to me by the manufacturer. The fresh water feature is great for avoiding that nasty "head" smell that you get with saltwater.
Old 27-08-2008, 13:40   #11

Boat: Beneteau 473
6 years of even pretty good operation isn't bad for anything on a boat in my opinion.
To avoid those troublesome clogs I could always remove the TP and just keep plenty of antibacterial soap onboard.

After some research including cost comparison I have decided to go with Sealands Vacuum flush in the aft cabin for a trial period and if it works well I'll replace the forward head with the same thing. Fresh water use is a non issue on my boat and the power draw seems miniscule.

Thanks for the input.
SilentOption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 12:10   #12
Marine Service Provider

If the head is OK functionally, and you want to switch to fresh water to minimize/eliminate raw water flush odors, you might want to look at www.fresshflush.net
KSMD112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 16:18   #13
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Don't serve corn in quantity to the crew and owners.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2009, 16:16   #14

Doesn't the VacuFlush require a big and electrical hungry vacuum generator ?

Quote:
VacuFlush Toilet Requirements
VacuFlush toilet must be connected to VacuFlush vacuum generator.
© Dometic Sanitation
VacuFlush® Vacuum Generation
vacendak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2009, 16:35   #15

Boat: PETERSON 44
yes it needs a complete install which includes a motor that creates the vacuum. runs about 30 seconds after a flush maybe 4 amps but not sure.
So not a lot of draw.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote