Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2018, 21:01   #1

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA
Sea Water in LPG Locker

On the Pearson 323 I’ve noticed when motoring that the LPG drains are so low on the transom that they cause about 2 inches of water to enter the LPG lockers because of how much the stern lowers into the water.

When sailing or anchored it’s not a problem.

Part of the problem is that I’m carrying a lot of fuel and weight aft, I do plan to shift some of the weight forward, but wonder about how well this was designed.

Are other boats similar?
Should I have a on/off valve somewhere?

Thanks,
austin

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4470.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	179031
theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 21:03   #2

Boat: Herreshoff 36
Re: Sea Water in LPG Locker

Same to me, on my Hurley 22. I just plugged it in with a cork...
Old 15-10-2018, 21:10   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahun View Post
Same to me, on my Hurley 22. I just plugged it in with a cork...

That’s a brilliant idea! And the size of the drains seems like it would be a perfect fit. I guess I’ll open a bottle of wine tonight and find out... Thanks

austin
Old 15-10-2018, 21:26   #4
txg

Boat: Dufour 35

You do realize that these drains are not only for draining water but also for draining gas? They shouldn't be plugged due to safety reasons. But they also shouldn't be below the waterline when motoring as this essentially results in plugging the hole as well. Maybe there is a possibility to relocate?
Old 15-10-2018, 21:38   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by txg View Post
You do realize that these drains are not only for draining water but also for draining gas? They shouldn't be plugged due to safety reasons. But they also shouldn't be below the waterline when motoring as this essentially results in plugging the hole as well. Maybe there is a possibility to relocate?

Definitely realize that. I only have one tank on the port side, the other side will be plugged because it’s become storage.

And yes, being blocked by water is no good either. I usually only use the LPG at anchor when it can drain and have it turned off at the tank when not in use.

A relocate of the drain would probably be a relocate of the tank too, the two lockers are pretty specifically located and not many options on a 32’ hull. But I’m open to ideas that aren’t too much work.

Old 15-10-2018, 22:57   #6

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

My old pearson 36-2 also had the drain holes low but the locker was up high and water never got that high....... I would never plug hole regardless and would consider relocation vent hose.

Greg
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 00:32   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Our stern also drops 6" under power. Thank fully the gas locker drains are probably level were your cockpit drains are so we don't have that problem. Is there enough room to put a false bottom in the locker? Even a teak grate, doesn't have to be water tight unless you like playing with fiberglass, just enough lift the cylinders up a bit.

Also definitely not just move but get rid of any excess weight, it really makes a difference on a 32ft boat. I am going to remove the storm jib this winter and bring it home. Just don't need it for coastal cruising and the only time it is flown is in harbour once a year to check it out. I am also going to reduce the length of chain on the spare Fortress anchor, again less weight up forward. Just a case of constantly looking at stuff a deciding is it really needed, if not get rid of it.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 06:08   #8

Boat: Valiant 40

The only downside to your issue (assuming you plug the unused locker and are only concerned with the actively used propane locker) is corrosion of the propane tank. I think the easiest solution is just to buy a fiberglass tank. You can’t reroute the hose in any way that would prevent water entering (eg vented loop) that would not also prevent propane from draining. And don’t put a valve in it. That’s just asking for trouble (forgetting to open it, leaking at the valve join etc).
Old 16-10-2018, 11:37   #9

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theway View Post
On the Pearson 323 I’ve noticed when motoring that the LPG drains are so low on the transom that they cause about 2 inches of water to enter the LPG lockers because of how much the stern lowers into the water.

When sailing or anchored it’s not a problem.

Part of the problem is that I’m carrying a lot of fuel and weight aft, I do plan to shift some of the weight forward, but wonder about how well this was designed.

Are other boats similar?
Should I have a on/off valve somewhere?

Thanks,
austin

Attachment 179031
Is it possible you are digging a hole in the water under power and gaining nothing? Once over hull speed.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 13:58   #10

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

This is something you should take very seriously. I know of at least one case with a British army training boat exploded with loss of life due to plugged gas locker drains. Whether plugged by derbies or intermittently by water it increases the risk of gas seeping below. Rather than modifying the gas locker I have seen a number of people carry the gas supply in aluminum tanks on a stern platform with a mechanism to ditch them in the event of a fire (roped on so they can be recovered). I don't have gas on board for safety reasons but if I did that would be my solution.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 16:19   #11
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

sounds like the lockers are the problem being too close to the waterline .. not the drains. get an aluminum or fiberglass tank. also try to lighten up the stern of the boat.
Old 16-10-2018, 16:32   #12

float ball type of check valve in the hose maybe?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 18:10   #13

My last boat had this same issue. I solve it by using the swappable propane tanks they sell at every gas station/hardware store. That way corrosion never became an issue.

This probably doesn't work if you leave the US, but for domestic cruising it is no issue.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 23:27   #14

Boat: Nicholson 26
Send a message via Skype™ to nic26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Our stern also drops 6" under power. Thank fully the gas locker drains are probably level were your cockpit drains are so we don't have that problem. Is there enough room to put a false bottom in the locker? Even a teak grate, doesn't have to be water tight unless you like playing with fiberglass, just enough lift the cylinders up a bit.

Also definitely not just move but get rid of any excess weight, it really makes a difference on a 32ft boat. I am going to remove the storm jib this winter and bring it home. Just don't need it for coastal cruising and the only time it is flown is in harbour once a year to check it out. I am also going to reduce the length of chain on the spare Fortress anchor, again less weight up forward. Just a case of constantly looking at stuff a deciding is it really needed, if not get rid of it.

Pete
Well, Pete, retireing the storm jib to your shed will make a big difference on a 32 footer
nic26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 01:40   #15

Boat: Island Packet 40

If you have the room putting in a longer hose with an upward loop in it might keep the water out but it would form a slight well at the bottom of the locker for heavier than air gas to accumulate. Better than a plug or a valve though.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water