Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2008, 22:37   #16

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Well...I finally threw in the towel on the DIY unit. After pricing coolant, guages, soldering equipment, it ran way over the cost of a AB Cold machine which I have read work quite well with good customer service. I even purchased a Nova Kool off E-bay and still dealing with trying to get my money back after 3 months from damage during shipping. When will I ever learn?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:21   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Our boat came with inoperative engine driven refrigeration. Since I don't have time to mess with it this, our first season with the boat, I went another direction.

Coleman makes, or at least made, a small Stirling Engine cooler, that originally retailed for over $600. We picked one up for $350 shipped, and it works well. Fridge or freezer. The box is only .9cuFt, but draws less than an amp in steady state usage, 4 amps max, according to accounts I have read. It is well built, makes a bit of noise, and the price was right.

It will not freeze four gallons of water, as the the insulation is good for this sort of thing, but not enough. I imagine it would keep that 4 gallons frozen, if you put it in that way. Perfect for weekend sailing, bring the stuff cold in the 2.5 hour ride to the boat, and bring back when you don't eat/drink, still cold. It came with an AC brick, so you can pre-cool it at home.

I'll report back at the end of the season on the unit.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigeration