Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2019, 00:40   #1

Replacing large stainless water tank with flexible?

My water tank takes up too much space and its capacity is never really used. Besides, started leaking!

I decided I want to replace it. It is in the front cabin, the available space is triangular, while all rigid tanks I found are rectangular. To make good use of the space, I am thinking on a flexible tank. Any recommendations, which one to use? Any issues to be aware of?
Old 12-07-2019, 05:12   #2

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36
Re: Replacing large stainless water tank with flexible?

Don’t buy the plastimo flexible tanks. My experience with them has been appalling. I gave up trying to find pre-fabricated tanks in the end and made my own out of plywood and fibreglass. The one kind of flexible tank I might consider would be the ones that are made for fuel, not water. But they are considerably more expensive. Good luck!
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 05:55   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Ronco Plastics has roto-molded linear polyethylene water tanks in various shapes, sizes, and capacities; with fittings/accessories installed to customer specification.
https://ronco-plastics.com/product/w...-holding-tank/

https://ronco-plastics.com/wp-conten...Marine2018.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 06:16   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Are you still in the UK? if so the expensive option is something from Tek Tanks.

https://www.tek-tanks.com/

Third of the price are these folks and I know of one yacht which changed are very happy. Oblong tank was £215 custom made.

E.M.P.F - Boat Tanks

Final thought is S/Steel or Aluminium replacement off ebay, can't quite remember the name, JFox or something.

If you keep the tank the same size you don't have to fill it, but if you do a long trip or plan to anchor out for a week you can then top of off.

We have just added a gauge after guessing for over a decade. Add this to the requirements, money well spent, even if a triangular tank won't be linear on the gauge.

I have fitted a Plastimo tank to a previous boat, but only because I was selling it to a dealer.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:03   #5

Boat: 30 feet sailboat, 1991

I just replaced a Plastimo tank, had a leak I couldn't find. Replaced it with a Vetus 100litre wastewater tank, which are pretty robust. Can't see anything wrong with filling the tank with fresh water. Did cost nearly $700 Can, but I guess what you pay for. Fittings are much better than the Plastimo as well and it come with a pressure testing certificate
peter loveridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 17:03   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Are you still in the UK? if so the expensive option is something from Tek Tanks.

https://www.tek-tanks.com/

Third of the price are these folks and I know of one yacht which changed are very happy. Oblong tank was £215 custom made.

E.M.P.F - Boat Tanks

Final thought is S/Steel or Aluminium replacement off ebay, can't quite remember the name, JFox or something.

If you keep the tank the same size you don't have to fill it, but if you do a long trip or plan to anchor out for a week you can then top of off.

We have just added a gauge after guessing for over a decade. Add this to the requirements, money well spent, even if a triangular tank won't be linear on the gauge.

I have fitted a Plastimo tank to a previous boat, but only because I was selling it to a dealer.
Still UK, I knew tektanks, thx for the EMPF link, seems interesting!

I will avoid Plastimo, this is not the first place I am warned about them. Thinking on a Nouva Rade water tank or a flex fuel tank.
Old 12-07-2019, 19:52   #7

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

The Nauta tanks are very high quality - I recommend them. I have been using two for more than 30 years continuously with no problems. By comparison one of my steel tanks is now leaking, and I expect to replace it with a Nauta flexible tank as well.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 22:14   #8

Boat: Jeanneau Melody 34
Send a message via Skype™ to beirutsailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter loveridge View Post
I just replaced a Plastimo tank, had a leak I couldn't find. Replaced it with a Vetus 100litre wastewater tank, which are pretty robust. Can't see anything wrong with filling the tank with fresh water. Did cost nearly $700 Can, but I guess what you pay for. Fittings are much better than the Plastimo as well and it come with a pressure testing certificate

The only advantage of Plastimo tanks that is you can replace the inner bag very cheaply every 1-2 years. So no cleaning issues. But the fittings are a scandal. Even after years of experience with these, and general DIY skillls of a live abaord. it takes me sometimes and hour to screw two simple pieces of plastic together - and even then there is sometimes a leak..
beirutsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 01:46   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

The boat next to us in Israel replaced his forward tank with a flexible tank and after a couple of years began to have issues. We were in the process of replacing ours - it leaked - with a new smaller tank that came from Jeanneau and we discussed that with the guy next door. He is trying to find a non flexible tank as he was having to many problems with his. Not sure of all the issues but he said it had to go.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 13:59   #10

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

All flexible tanks are not the same, and all installations are not the same. As I posted earlier my very heavy duty Nauta flexible tanks are 30 years old and still going strong. No doubt it helps that they are secured by the corner grommets in lockers that fit snugly and are lined with outdoor carpet to reduce abrasion. You can pay less for a flexible tank but you will also get less...

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 15:16   #11

Any experience here with Nouva Rade tanks?
Old 15-07-2019, 15:41   #12

I would replace with a rigid plastic tank. You said it's too big, just put the biggest rectangle you can in there. Build a flat platform under if you need to. Secure it with straps.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 15:49   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I would replace with a rigid plastic tank. You said it's too big, just put the biggest rectangle you can in there. Build a flat platform under if you need to. Secure it with straps.
Valid point, unless I buy a 200L flexible tank, waste much of its capacity, risk wear and leakage where it folds, i wouldn't save much space.
Old 15-07-2019, 16:08   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

If you want a high quality flexible tank, talk to Aero Tec Laboratory’s. They have a location in England as well as the US. I sold a lot of their fuel tanks to drug smugglers back in the eighties. They never killed me so I guess the tanks were ok.
Seriously, these guys are good.
http://www.atlinc.com/contactus.html

Tags
water