Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2018, 13:49   #16

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite
Re: Marine AC Sizing, Pump, Seacock Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutslayer View Post
Many thanks to everyone. Good to hear from someone with a Seawind also. I was afraid of oversizing as well as I have seen the effects of short cycling in homes with humidity problems. I am going to with a smaller unit and seacocks.
Mine is a Seawind cat though. Hull volume wise each side much less than an Allied Seawind monohull.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 14:29   #17

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Another approach- and the one executed by the previous owners of our boat- is to install more than one A/C unit. You can run one, two, etc. depending upon cooling [and heating] demands. [Our 3 A/C-heater units are independently operated and located in the 3 main zones of the boat: forward, midship/pilot house, and the aft (master) cabin.]

The two forward units share one March pump as they are the two run most of the time when needed.

The idea being if- in your case- say you need 16k BTU, would you benefit from installing 2- 8K BTU units [keeping the arithmetic simplistic for this example...] You gain redundancy [albeit half capacity], reduced electrical demand when peak capacity is not required [e.g., only run one unit], somewhat lower start-up current requirements when starting independently, etc.

This concept undoubtedly does not fit all circumstances or needs, but works very well for ours.

Just another proven approach to be aware of.

Cheers! Bill
Old 12-05-2018, 15:51   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Marine AC Sizing, Pump, Seacock Questions

A reason I went with a 6K in our Stateroom is that a Honda will easily start in in eco mode, meaning its lots quieter and runs longer on a tank of gas.
Plus I can pretty easily run it when we are motoring off of the alternator and inverter.
Plus of course if one breaks you at least have some cooling it’s not all or nothing. For that reason I chose to have separate water pumps.

Here you go $1060.00 scratch and dent special.
https://www.defender.com/product.jsp...083&id=4304077
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 17:41   #19

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
Mine is a Seawind cat though. Hull volume wise each side much less than an Allied Seawind monohull.

I think the OP was referring to me. We have an Allied Seawind II, the next generation, slightly bloated version of the original.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 05:24   #20

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I think the OP was referring to me. We have an Allied Seawind II, the next generation, slightly bloated version of the original.
Oops, I missed that. Thanks
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 15:39   #21

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Troutslayer
Hello from Biloxi. I know the hot and humid you speak of .

I am doing a refit and installed a Wabasto 16000 btu in a 36' boat with fair insulation. I made my decision based on the great advice given on this forum, as you are receiving now.

I would add that the Wabasto has, as a64pilot pointed out, the low setting that does dial back the cycling, but it also has a dehumidify mode that will quickly lower the humidity. I expect this would be a nice feature while away from the boat. I already had a 1" supply seacock that I will share with the water maker and A/C. I put in an oversized Graco bronze strainer.

as to your question about the through hulls, I did as you have suggested and installed all new Graco bronze BV seacocks. I like bronze the 655 grade in this case it will out last me.

I also did as you suggested and made my on hull flanges out of 1/2" G10 and drilled and tapped them for 3/8 silicone bronze studs. This worked great and I set them in thickened epoxy over existing thruogh holes then using a drimel tool cleaned up the hole after the epoxy set.

And it didn't happen unless I can provide pictures, right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3723.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	422.8 KB
ID:	169855   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3563.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	432.1 KB
ID:	169858  

jhulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2018, 16:58   #22

Boat: Scout 30

Got this from Defender today. Could be a great deal!

https://www.defender.com/defender1st...al+Of+The+Week!
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine