Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2016, 11:00   #16

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer
Re: Mar-Gas Safety Cylinder system

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
So the obvious weak point seems to be that you have a gas connection on top of the assembly. What happens if it leaks there? The whole point of a vented propane locker is that all the connections are inside, so if there is a leak the gas is harmlessly vented outside the boat.

In this system, it is vented to the breaker just behind the bottle, and to the batteries below.

NB : The hose clamp on the vent hose is the wrong size. The vent hose is not a suitable material.
eventually a propane hose has to come out of the locker to get to the stove, etc. it is really no different than if the propane hose sprung a leak outside a traditional propane locker.

There IS a solenoid on top of the tank, under the cover, that you control by the switch. If the switch is off, and the hose springs a leak, only any residual propane in the hose may leak out, no different than a traditional system.

You could have a sniffer (we don't yet) and have it shut off the solenoid if it detects a leak, and shut it off at the tank. Again no different than a regular system.
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 11:07   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomracer View Post
eventually a propane hose has to come out of the locker to get to the stove, etc. it is really no different than if the propane hose sprung a leak outside a traditional propane locker.

There IS a solenoid on top of the tank, under the cover, that you control by the switch. If the switch is off, and the hose springs a leak, only any residual propane in the hose may leak out, no different than a traditional system.

You could have a sniffer (we don't yet) and have it shut off the solenoid if it detects a leak, and shut it off at the tank. Again no different than a regular system.
It is different, as you have added an extra point of failure, and it's in the worst possible location.

Does the hose screw onto the fitting on top of the tank, or is there a hose clamp?
Old 24-05-2016, 11:17   #18

Quote:
It is different, as you have added an extra point of failure, and it's in the worst possible location.

Does the hose screw onto the fitting on top of the tank, or is there a hose clamp?
I dont see how, as it is just really a tiny locker. everything in a locker is in that cover. As long as the top stays on, any leak in the cover goes overboard.

The top is held on by a band clamp that puts pressure and squeezes the top to the tank, with a rubber seal.
Old 24-05-2016, 11:20   #19

Quote:
everything in a locker is in that cover
Not true. The hose connection is normally in a locker, here it is not. Connections are the most likely failure point, especially when done with a hose clamp - hence my question : does the hose screw onto the fitting, or is there a clamp?
Old 24-05-2016, 11:26   #20

Quote:
Not true. The hose connection is normally in a locker, here it is not. Connections are the most likely failure point, especially when done with a hose clamp - hence my question : does the hose screw onto the fitting, or is there a clamp?
The propane hose goes from the tank to the device. It goes through the cover, through a grommet.

Looking at the pics again, the OP's tank cover is different than mine. I have no fittings on the top of the tank. Looks like his was modified or was an earlier design.

On my tank cover, everything is continuous and passes through the cover, not TO the cover, like the OPs

Paul
Old 24-05-2016, 11:27   #21

Boat: Sea Ray,SundancerDA,30

Hi, just answering your last to me. seems i couldn't get back to that one. I didn't know that there was two company's that deal in this. thanks for the heads up.
CC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 11:54   #22

Boat: Allied Princess

Yeah my biggest concern is safety. Would BoatUs approve it?
Jm2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 12:00   #23

So what if they did? Your setup, with the connections on top, is a deathtrap.
Old 24-05-2016, 12:02   #24

Quote:
The propane hose goes from the tank to the device. It goes through the cover, through a grommet.

Looking at the pics again, the OP's tank cover is different than mine. I have no fittings on the top of the tank. Looks like his was modified or was an earlier design.

On my tank cover, everything is continuous and passes through the cover, not TO the cover, like the OPs

Paul
I see! So your setup sounds fine. I have serious doubts about the one with connections on top, though, especially when you can see in the pic that the connections are badly done.
Old 24-05-2016, 12:04   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jm2fly View Post
BoatUS usually relies on ABYC. I don't believe the OP's version would meet those standards unless it's a crappy photo. This article shows how to meet ABYC Standards.
Old 24-05-2016, 12:05   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jm2fly View Post
i doubt it would pass any standard nowadays..then again the design is 3 decades old, and no longer available. Not really fair to think something so old would pass current standards. It must have passed the standards at the time (or one would think)
Old 24-05-2016, 12:17   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
It must have passed the standards at the time (or one would think)
"or one would think" is the key. Builders are still doing stuff that don't meet standards even tho' they claim they do.
Old 24-05-2016, 12:58   #28

Quote:
i doubt it would pass any standard nowadays..then again the design is 3 decades old, and no longer available. Not really fair to think something so old would pass current standards. It must have passed the standards at the time (or one would think)
My Bristol is 30 years old, and has a propane locker that meets current standards. All I have done is to add a sniffer to turn off the solenoid.

There's no excuse for the hack job that the OP posted.
Old 24-05-2016, 14:21   #29

Boat: Allied Princess

We just got the boat last Saturday and I found this. I thought it seemed dangerous myself. I will look at other options.
Anyone have suggestions on converting this system?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Jm2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016, 14:38   #30

Boat: York Harbor 36

If you send me a message to emmakaeding at gmail.com, I will send you an original manual with the instructions. You take off the V-band that holds the top on by unscrewing the big black knob. The V-band will come off. That will allow you to separate the top from the propane bottle. Before taking the propane bottle (the bottom part) anywhere, you are supposed to wrap the V-band around the joint on the bottle by putting the long screw in and putting the screw on and screwing it down and closed.

Then you take the bottle to a propane dealer to have it refilled just like any other propane bottle. It's a delightfully simple system. Bring the tank back, remove the V-band that you had re-mounted, but the top on, mount the V-band in the place that it was before . but the V-band to hold the top and bottle in the right place, and screw it all back down.

If you ever need to replace the propane solenoid, they are sold by Bass Products, Inc. in Bristol CT or Salem MA.
Sorgenfri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety