Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2011, 11:33   #1

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Jabsco Elecric toilet

Ive got a brand new Jabsco 12v electric flush toilet which is mounted @12'' below the water tank">fresh water tank.

Only got it hooked up yesterday and christened it but im concerned that after flushing, the bowl gradually continues to fill to a few inches of the top.

Its obviously fresh clean water, not waste coming back down the pipe and through the joker valve. Im guessing the water supply is gravity filling through the pump.

Could it be that due to having been stored for ages, one or more of the rubber impeller vanes have compressed slightly and are causing the problem?

If so, will it cure its self or do i need to put a lever valve in the line to shut it off after flushing?
Old 28-03-2011, 12:49   #2

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
Re: Jabsco Elecric toilet

They come with the choice of two valves, one that will pump water up to the toilet and one that controls the water flow if the supply is gravity feed as is mine. In my experience they both leak and I put in a ball valve that needs to be open to fill or flush the toilet. On my setup I installed a kitchen type spay nozzle to use as a bidet and use that to fill the water in the bowl and that also has a ball valve to insure no drips when not in use. All that takes a bit of explaining to new customers but works fine once you get the hang of it. Love the bidet feature, once you use it awhile you will scorn TP.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 12:55   #3

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser

I installed a bidet in my last house and most places have them in Thailand so know what you mean, but if its unheated water, forget it !!!

I think I will put in a ball valve to be on the safe side. I dont fancy flooding the bathroom with 50 gallons.
Old 28-03-2011, 13:05   #4

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell

The water is always just right in the tropics, and why would you be anywhere else?
Just got a water heater, gas tankless Rheem, and I have a feeling it's going to live in it's box for a long time.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 15:37   #5
Marine Service Provider

You didn't connect a toilet designed to pull in sea water to your fresh water system I hope...that's a major no-no and every toilet mfr specifically warns against it in their installation instructions because it can't be done without risk of contaminating the fresh water supply, damage to the toilet pump or both. Only toilets that are designed by the mfr to use pressurized flush water should ever be connected to any fresh water plumbing.

As to your problem...you're experiencing one of the reasons why it's a bad idea to connect a toilet that's designed to PULL water in to a water source that PUSHES water to it. It will not cure itself.

The right solution would be connect the toilet to a thru-hull as it's designed be installed. But since I'd bet real money that you aren't about to do that, the fix is the same vented loop with an electric solenoid valve that would be necessary if it were connected to a thru-hull. You'll find the instructions for doing that in the installation instructions for you toilet model--which I'm guessing is prob'ly a 37245--that you can download from here: Jabsco > ITT Flow Control - Engineered for life.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jabsco