Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2016, 15:25   #31
Marine Service Provider

Re: Is a Holding tank sending unit a good idea?

The average adult uses the toilet 5x in 24 hours...each flush from most manual or electric toilets is approx .6 gallons. That's an average of 3 gal/day/person going into the tank.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 15:38   #32
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mottseng View Post
Not have any sensors or sending units on my tank I was wondering how many head visits would it take to fill a 30gal holding tank using a standard Jabsco pump head?
Fwiw, USCG regs require that all waste tanks have a means of determining when the tank is at least 3/4 full. The Sealand Tankwatch I which has only one short internal probe was designed specifically to meet this requirement. However, the proble is so short that in most tanks it's definition of 3/4 full is actually only about 1 flush away from FULL. If the tank is readily accessible for visible inspection, it's not necessary to install a gauge. However, if its not, you need one.

But whether you do or not, it's a wise investment that prevents overflows out the vent that inevitably result in a blocked vent.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 05:20   #33

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
The average adult uses the toilet 5x in 24 hours...each flush from most manual or electric toilets is approx .6 gallons. That's an average of 3 gal/day/person going into the tank.
I placed an order for the SCAD and will relay my experience with it. Without getting graphic I don't want to go through the mess and problems I had with the 5 people on board for a weekend and will certainly lay down some ground rules for future guests.

Thanks
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 20:34   #34

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Ditto TankTender. Found one at a swap meet for 25$. Works great, easy installation.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 09:13   #35

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mottseng View Post
I placed an order for the SCAD and will relay my experience with it. Without getting graphic I don't want to go through the mess and problems I had with the 5 people on board for a weekend and will certainly lay down some ground rules for future guests.

Thanks
Installed the SCAD tank level sensor and after calibration it works great. No mess, easy installation, not complicated. Great investment other than it cost me $95 broker fees on top of the sensor and shipping. But still well worth the peace of mind.
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holding tank