Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2016, 07:21   #31

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B
Re: I'm afraid of my head!

Question about composting heads. The more I read the more I like the idea of using these.

My question is where do most people run the vent hose from the head? How much smell comes from this vent? If it is vented into the bilge or engine compartment do those smells linger at all?

Thanks
Foster
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 07:30   #32
SFS

Lots of threads on composting toilets, so search is your friend. I'm going to make the switch as soon as possible, so that's my bias.

In my research, I have found that the folks that have composters will never go back to traditional marine heads. I've also found that the naysayers are often folks who have no direct experience with them.

Do you own research and reading. If you are squeamish about dealing with a gallon of urine in a container, they may not be for you.

Where to run the vent would depend on your boat, but it is usually through the cabin roof. These toilets typically have no odor, when set up correctly. I repeat, no sewage odor. They smell like dry dirt. The venting is more for airflow than odor control.
SFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 09:01   #33

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey DS43

Conduct usual annuel maintenance including the replacement of the exit pipe. No paper what so ever! 20 mm of cheep canola oil in the bol to lubricate all moving components every other week and way to go!
Chalifour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 09:01   #34

Boat: O'Day 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFS View Post
Lots of threads on composting toilets, so search is your friend. I'm going to make the switch as soon as possible, so that's my bias.

In my research, I have found that the folks that have composters will never go back to traditional marine heads. I've also found that the naysayers are often folks who have no direct experience with them.

Do you own research and reading. If you are squeamish about dealing with a gallon of urine in a container, they may not be for you.

Where to run the vent would depend on your boat, but it is usually through the cabin roof. These toilets typically have no odor, when set up correctly. I repeat, no sewage odor. They smell like dry dirt. The venting is more for airflow than odor control.
We would never go back to a conventional head.
Ours has no vent and no smell from the toilet. I am going to install a vent to speed up the drying time and reduce moisture in the heads.

No more "funky" smell. (The Admiral can smell that on at least 75% of the boats we visit with conventional heads)
Old 30-11-2016, 09:07   #35

Boat: 1974 Cal Cruising 35

Think it's something you have to come to grips with... so to speak. If you sail, cruise, live aboard long enough you may have to take one apart and unclog it. It won't kill you. Look up Mike Rowe "Dirty Jobs" guy. You'll see people deal with dirty stuff and survive. 40+ years of sailing I've had to do it once. Made me keenly aware what went in thereafter. The bucket is an alternative but not so much in a crowded marina. Keep a box of latex gloves handy.
Cheers
Mike

https://www.sailblogs.com/member/eleanormay/
msrcal36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 09:40   #36

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B

Thanks.

I understand that there is no sewage smell associated with the composting toilets. I don't have any issues in dealing with the urine or the compost. I love the idea of not having any potential head issues and no sewage smell problems/plumbing issues. All seems like a great way to simplify boat life some and possible be able to use the black water space for something more useful.

What I have not been able to find is how long does a poo smell linger. With some stinky poo I would think that for some time during or after the act that some smell would have to come out of the vent exit.
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 09:49   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
If you're afraid of your head, you might as well sell the boat right now because there are far more complex things you're going to have to learn to deal with on a boat.
I don't think it's the complexity that worries him. It sounds like a personal aversion to dealing with biological waste.

He did mention that he replaced the pump assembly, presumably himself (or he would have said "I had the pump assembly replaced"), so I doubt complexity of a relatively simple system is the issue.
Old 30-11-2016, 10:00   #38

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

You are right to be afraid. Be very afraid. It is only a matter of time before someone clogs that puppy up and then pumps up the internal pressure to around two thousand psi before slinking away to ensnare the next hapless pooper. You'll get a 10th degree turn on that hose clamp when the hose will blow off the antisiphon valve and pin both of your ears back with a blast of raw caw-caw to the face on its way to coating the entire interior of your head enclosure.

A snake actually can be a great thing to have aboard if the clog is at or near the through hull. My favorite is when the interior pressure is so great that the flapper valve inverts and your head turns into a brown version of Old Faithful.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 10:03   #39

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by flee27 View Post
What I have not been able to find is how long does a poo smell linger. With some stinky poo I would think that for some time during or after the act that some smell would have to come out of the vent exit.
Just scanned this thread and came across your questions Flee. The simple answer is the immediate odour doesn’t linger long — minutes perhaps.

There are a number of knowledgable compost head owners here on CF. I don’t want to hijack this thread, so I encourage you to use the search and pull up one of the many composting head threads. Or perhaps start an new one.
Old 30-11-2016, 10:50   #40

Boat: 1973 Gulfstar 43 trawler, 1979 Endeavour 37 A plan

Number 1 or should I say number 2 rule is always listen to Peggy Hall! That being said, the first thing I do on all of my boats is install a jabsco electric macerating toilet. I want to be able to poo on my boats without the littlest concern that it's not going down. Not a huge current draw because of small/little use and I'm a big guy at 6'4", 250lbs and have been know to mess up many a land based toilet Sorry for all y'all weak stomach type, but this is a fact of life and I live aboard
Fair winds
John
Boatingmadeez.com
GoneIsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 10:57   #41

If you've already been able to service your pump and joker valve, you already are capable of dealing with any clogged head. Look at the diameter of your poop. If it goes down the toilet when you pump, it isn't likely to get stuck in the sanitary hose to the tank unless you have serious buildup.

Just be liberal with the pump, pump until the waste is in the tank and not sitting in the hoses.
Old 30-11-2016, 11:43   #42

Boat: Elan Impression 434

Had to clear a TP clog in the pipe once... I bought a length of smaller pipe, and having disconnected off the back of the joker used the smaller pipe much like the toilet snake thing. Much more fun was the corroded tank gauge which after 10 years fell apart. Rank smells in the saloon until replaced!
Charliemciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 11:48   #43

Compost is a great option if you can responsibly dispose of urine and dirt. I don't ask what people do with urine in harbour if they don't have a holding tank.

Definitely great if you're cruising south pacific.
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 11:55   #44

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

In 50 years I have never had a head clog. I flush it 15 times when using. Take shower when using so need little tp. Use head onshore when possible for solid.

Have fixed quite a few heads on charter boats. No huge deal. Rebuild your head for drill and the fear will most likely go away once you are familiar with what you is required and carry the parts needed.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 13:01   #45

Much ado about nothing :-0)!

Shoreside plumbers live by three rules: a) Poop won't run uphill. b) Payday is Friday. c) Don't eat the corner of the sandwich.

If you bear c) in mind when the fit hits the shan, comme on dit, just roll up your sleeves, grab the appropriate screwdriver and pull apart the joint at the base of the pump where the so-called "joker" valve lives. All described in your user's manual. As if anybody would need such a thing for something as simple as a manual Jabsco.

Clear the joker valve with an appropriate tool, preferably a soft one that won't damage the valve. A rigid digit will do. Then reassemble and pump.

But don't eat the corner of the sandwich! At least not till after appropriate ablutions.

As a matter of routine, impress two things on ANYBODY who steps aboard 1) "Whoever bungs the commode unbungs it!" 2) "Whatever you intend to put in the commode, eat it first!"

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head