Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2014, 16:57   #61
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: How Hard is it to Install a Water Maker?

We do 12v low output to 120v high output conversions all the time, here's a few photos of one on our blog.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 17:50   #62

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I don't see how you are considering converting a 30gph DC system to a 30gph AC system as a low output to high output conversion.

I do understand that AC may fill a persons needs better than DC, as well as the point that it isn't rocket science to use existing components in doing a conversion.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 19:19   #63
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You are right in this example Mark, I should have just said 12v to 120v.
Usually the conversions are on the lower output 6-7GPH units, so I get the "low to high" twitchyness on the brain.
Old 11-07-2014, 20:26   #64

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
We sell engine driven water makers...at least that is when I can't talk the client out of it and into an AC power unit!

The "Make Free Water Myth" of an engine driven water maker negates the increased cost of installation and frankly pain in the A$$ of having to run your main engine at anchor to make water. I've had both (engine and AC) and the day I booted my engine driven unit was a very happy day! With a 20 or 30GPH water maker powered by a 1.0Hp motor, you have a few options of powering it. A ships diesel generator, Honda 2000 generator or through a 2000W inverter when underway with the alternator running as a back up to a dead generator or when you are motoring.

If you already have a Honda 2000......Hmmm....someone I know designed their water maker around that very generator....but in fairness being the owner maybe I'm a little biased...

It's really not fair to try and compare our 20GPH or 30GPH water maker to the 40E 1.5GPH water maker. They may both be called "water makers", but ours definitely takes more power and has a larger footprint, but the amount we under rate our water maker production is larger than the over rated actual production of the 40E. Apple to Orange or BB to Beach Ball.
Does your price include the generator?
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 20:55   #65
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Does your price include the generator?
I really need to increase the font size of the words "Honda Generator Not Included" because you are not the first person to miss that. You can buy the Honda 2000 for $949 with free shipping from Welcome to Mayberrys.com, which is the best price I know of on the web.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:03   #66
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

With all due respect Rich, and you know I love you, and please take this as only information for others to digest and for you to consider for the future, I looked at the pics of your Spectra NewPort 700 to Cruise RO conversion. All you've done is used the Spectra filter housings and the two Spectra membrane vessels. You've salvaged about $800 worth of parts and removed the other $15,000 parts of the Spectra. Secondly, the NewPort 700 mentioned in your example is a 30-32gph watermaker and can either be a DC driven system or an AC driven system. It was also able to be run in a "LOW" power mode or the "HIGH" power mode which is the conversion I believe belizesailor was originally looking for in his system. Unless this system was totally trashed from neglect, abuse, or corrosion from a bad install exposed to constant salt water spraying, I'm afraid you may have thrown out the baby with the bath water on this one. If a customer who wants to "convert" from an older Spectra 700 to one of your systems that's fine. But the customer would be better served having his NewPort 700 checked over by a certified Spectra tech. The resale value would more than likely buy one of your complete units with money left over. To quote someone I know "That's crazy".
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:18   #67
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

No problems Tellie...the more info the better.

What I left out of the blog post and forum posts was that the client had already rebuild the spectra pump several times and had to replace other electronic parts in his words "over and over again all around the world", so he was looking to go in another direction. I have no idea how the unit was maintained or serviced, so I can't say if that was part of his problem or not.

I have shared the anchorages with lots of happy spectra customers. The point of the blog post wasn't to slam the spectra unit, but to illustrate how all water makers work on the same principal of getting sea water up to pressure and driving it through the membrane. Some do it with energy recovery pumps and electronic controls at cost X, while some do it with off the shelf energy hog pumps at cost X-Y = extra cruising kitty and beer money.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:23   #68

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
I really need to increase the font size of the words "Honda Generator Not Included" because you are not the first person to miss that. You can buy the Honda 2000 for $949 with free shipping from Welcome to Mayberrys.com, which is the best price I know of on the web.
Or just take it out of the picture !
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:30   #69
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It's in the photo to illustrate that a 30GPH water maker can be powered by a Honda 2000....which is a huge deal for a lot of cruisers without a diesel genset....I'll get that font size bigger!
Old 12-07-2014, 11:00   #70
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
CruiseRO from Rich Boren.

Mark
still brain picking here, since you've already covered the ground I'm just entering....which inverter are you using?
Old 12-07-2014, 11:16   #71

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Victron Multiplus 12/3000. However, I rarely use it for the watermaker since we have a diesel genset.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 12:21   #72

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
You must have an older CAT300 without the MPC controls and VSD. The newer ones do have that feature. Though it can be done I'm not sure the conversion for an older Cat300 would be worth the cost for the occasional savings you'd realize.
Yes older CAT300 (installed 2004), but installed a new MPC 5000 control board last year.

What is VSD?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 21:17   #73
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Yes older CAT300 (installed 2004), but installed a new MPC 5000 control board last year.

What is VSD?

When your system is running in "auto" mode try pushing the "Stop" button on your MPC control panel and hold it down for 5 seconds.
Old 12-07-2014, 23:04   #74

Boat: Beneteau 473
How Hard is it to Install a Water Maker?

Not hard at all, once you get over the shock of how big/heavy the box is, all of the parts, and the thickness of the install manual!!

See our blog post, http://www.sailblogs.com/member/smar...xjMsgID=250271.

Of course, I can only speak of our experience installing a Spectra Watermaker. I do have to say though, that this is the only thing we have installed that worked perfectly from the start. Maybe we are idiots as far as other boat projects go, but we never had to back track on this one and it worked when we started it up! I will admit that it took us 4-5 months to finally start it up because we were afraid there would be a problem, lol.

BTW, the tech support is awesome! We haven't had to use it much, but we had a surprise when three (alive) fish showed up in the pre-filter -- I was informed it was the 'seldom mentioned sushi option' lol. Honestly, it is pretty straight forward.

Robyn

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2014, 12:50   #75
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMove View Post
Not hard at all, once you get over the shock of how big/heavy the box is, all of the parts, and the thickness of the install manual!!

See our blog post, And Then There Was The Watermaker! | The Adventures of Smart Move.

Of course, I can only speak of our experience installing a Spectra Watermaker. I do have to say though, that this is the only thing we have installed that worked perfectly from the start. Maybe we are idiots as far as other boat projects go, but we never had to back track on this one and it worked when we started it up! I will admit that it took us 4-5 months to finally start it up because we were afraid there would be a problem, lol.

BTW, the tech support is awesome! We haven't had to use it much, but we had a surprise when three (alive) fish showed up in the pre-filter -- I was informed it was the 'seldom mentioned sushi option' lol. Honestly, it is pretty straight forward.

Robyn

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Nice install for your first time. I peaked at your blog. If you ever need any help or advice with your CHE330 don't hesitate to get a hold of me. With customers all over the world E-mail is checked every day and my phone is always on 24/7/365, has been this way for years. (954) 515-7077

Tags
water