Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: What Head Do You Have And Are You Satisfied With It Poll
<$200 Manual Pump Head ~Satisfied 41 20.10%
<$200 Manual Pump Head ~Unsatisfied 2 0.98%
>$200 Manual Pump Head ~Satisfied 41 20.10%
>$200 Manual Pump Head ~Unsatisfied 2 0.98%
Vacuum Head ~Satisfied 20 9.80%
Vacuum Head ~Unsatisfied 0 0%
Electric Head ~Satisfied 41 20.10%
Electric Head ~Unsatisfied 6 2.94%
Composting Style Head ~Satisfied 34 16.67%
Composting Style Head ~Unsatisfied 1 0.49%
Bucket And Chuck It ~Satisfied 4 1.96%
Bucket And Chuck It ~Unsatisfied 0 0%
Other...? 6 2.94%
Porti Potties! Duh! ~Satisfied 4 1.96%
Porti Potties! Duh! ~Unsatisfied 2 0.98%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 17:24   #46

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Head Poll -What Do You Have, satisfied?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronrelyea View Post
I've got a composter (Nature's Head) and wouldn't go back. I've done a 10 day "cruise" with two aboard for the last two years and add weekends to that. TP goes in a plastic bag in a coffee can ... each guest
gets his/her own coffee can. The compost from the last two years is still composting (well actually right now it's probably frozen) as I haven't had to empty it yet, but by this time, having had the boat on the hard since mid-October, I'm pretty sure it's composted and not just dessicated. I don't hesitate to use it even when docked at my yacht club - no worrying about making a trip to the pump-out and all it entails.
Each guest getting their own disposal container is a great idea. Thanks.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 17:30   #47

Boat: csy 37
Re: Head Poll -What Do You Have, satisfied?

ocean girl, i think you left this one off the list...

commode from Northern Tool + Equipment
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 17:49   #48

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
It would be great if the electric head voters would say why they are unsatisfied, i know rw58ph in post #4 said he liked his electric but not the Raritan. Rivercruise in #35 said he was satisfied with his electric head, but it was a bit noisy(great feedback).
I am dissatisfied because it is WICKED* noisy and I am a middle aged woman who uses it a couple of times during the night. I feel like I'm waking up the entire marina! It works well, but is noisy and uses up the fresh water. So I am planning to swap it out for a Nature's Head. I'd prefer to reduce the unnecessarily electrified functions on my boat for the day when we head south.

(*this is a regionalism, from Rhode Island, USA, although my Massachusetts cousins have been known to use it, too)
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 17:52   #49

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Onestepcsy37, I don't see it but I bet you are talking about a incinerator style head? Yes, I forgot that too. I also forgot porta potties but the mods are kind enough to add it for me. I sure would hate to bother them again about this poll. Though, only the really big boats have em, they are out there...hmmm.
Old 06-12-2013, 18:09   #50
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I'm not a sanitation expert, but I'm pretty sure there is major health issue with disposing raw sewage in the garbage.

I think this is why there are waste water treatment plants in first world countries and lots of disease in those places with lots of humans waste piled up places.

Obviously, there are many issues to consider but dumping in a local parks garbage can seems like a very irresponsible solution.
Old 06-12-2013, 18:32   #51

I should also mention that for a boat that is usually daysailed, with occasional overnights, and a fishing boat with a porta pottie, I use "wag bags" placed in the toilet. These are tough plastic bags with "poo powder" in them that gels up and treats the waste immediately, making it suitable for disposal in regular trash. It's much easier than making a trip to the pump out dock. Having an easy option for taking a leak makes this woman's boating much more enjoyable.
Old 06-12-2013, 18:38   #52

Boatguy30, here is a earlier post, you bring up some good concerns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Guy, there are some great threads about composting/desiccating here that address just what you are asking. But the short of it from my perspective: I'm desiccating poo, starting the composting process as best I can. If I dump it in the trash before completely composting is not illegal or even wrong. Consider the diaper, not illegal or wrong to dispose in trash. I dispose after one to two months in a compostable bag. It is a remarkably small amount, looks and smells like dirt. What I would love is a compost bin at the pump out stations, I think that would help the folks who are not using the toilet correctly.

Peat goes a long way. You can buy cocotek, a renewable peat, in small bricks. You reconstitute one brick to make about a gallon of peat, which is perfect to start the batch, you may have to add another gallon before the head needs emptying. So the storage of peat can be very easy. I add some cedar shavings for a natural bug repellent.

For more info and debate, feel free to check out these threads.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ead-85662.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ers-96246.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rds-74706.html

Hope that helps.
Some links below about our sewage treatment here in the US.

About composting toilets | Greywater Action

http://css.snre.umich.edu/css_doc/CSS04-14.pdf
Old 06-12-2013, 18:46   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethflkys View Post
I should also mention that for a boat that is usually daysailed, with occasional overnights, and a fishing boat with a porta pottie, I use "wag bags" placed in the toilet. These are tough plastic bags with "poo powder" in them that gels up and treats the waste immediately, making it suitable for disposal in regular trash. It's much easier than making a trip to the pump out dock. Having an easy option for taking a leak makes this woman's boating much more enjoyable.
I thought wag bags would apply to the bucket and chuck it vote. I've used those wag bags, pretty nifty.
Article about how different countries handle their poo.
Toilet Talk | Acumen | Ozymandias
Old 06-12-2013, 18:58   #54

The big Bertram '54 is comfortable so it obviously has electric heads but it took a while to get it all right. Hiking the old Galley Maid heads and massive stinky pumps off the boat was liberating. I also reduced the number of heads on my boat from a ridiculous 3 to a more realistic 2.

Heads are now Raritan Atlantes Elongated Bowl 32V … Vented Loop with the electronic controls. They don't clog. They are seawater toilets which seem fine to me although turning them into freshwater would be an option.

I have a Purasan system hooked to the holding tank. It's complicated but good.

Also have a bilge fan pulling all the odors down and out:-)
Bayside Bert28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 19:33   #55

Bayside Bert, that will be our next head system if this composting thing goes south on us. Very nice and good job!
Old 06-12-2013, 19:44   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayside Bert28 View Post
The big Bertram '54 is comfortable so it obviously has electric heads but it took a while to get it all right. Hiking the old Galley Maid heads and massive stinky pumps off the boat was liberating. I also reduced the number of heads on my boat from a ridiculous 3 to a more realistic 2. Heads are now Raritan Atlantes Elongated Bowl 32V &hellip; Vented Loop with the electronic controls. They don't clog. They are seawater toilets which seem fine to me although turning them into freshwater would be an option. I have a Purasan system hooked to the holding tank. It's complicated but good. Also have a bilge fan pulling all the odors down and out:-)
Isn't the Purasan (as opposed to Lectrasan) meant for fresh water? Maybe you will have to convert to freshwater...
Old 06-12-2013, 20:13   #57

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

We have an electric head and are very satisfied. The best part is that it has never blocked, we stuff lots of paper down there and all the landlubbers seem to have no problems. Am I doing something wrong?
Old 06-12-2013, 20:25   #58

Raritan manual head. The pumping helps build muscle! LOL. It's simple & easy to maintain.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 22:41   #59

Boat: 9mtr motorboat
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethflkys View Post
I would be interested in the poo powder. Have you got link to the wag bags? Over here all the commercial bags are just colored garbage bags with absorbent paper inside. Cheaper for us to use garbage bags and paper towel. But if the helps treat ? the waste then I'm in.
troppo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:32   #60

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabbatical II View Post
We have an electric head and are very satisfied. The best part is that it has never blocked, we stuff lots of paper down there and all the landlubbers seem to have no problems. Am I doing something wrong?

What brand kind oh electric head do you have?

We have a Jabsco. The throat is vertical so #2 does not go down and often plugs before the maserator. Looking for a toilet that the throat is slanted so it slides into the masorator. It noisy but we do not mind. Its fresh water so no odor.

We have a 50 gallon holding tank, pumped weekly, for the marina and a Micophor when away from the dock. Its sort of like a septic tank, just use it, no electricty or chemicals. Mostly used on larger commercial boats trawlers. Not many pleasure know have them.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Air Head, C Head, composting Head, Deccicating head, Electric head, head, Jabsco Head, lavac, Manual Head, Natures Head, poll, raritan, toilet