Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2010, 20:09   #1

Boat: 38' 1983 Pearson 385 - "Zydeco"
Flexible Sanitation Hose

We had to replace some 1 1/2 inch sanitation hose. We used Shields 148 but it's too stiff to make a tight 90 degree bend where we need one. I tried to use a plastic 1 1/2 inch elbow but it leaks even double clamped.

Can anybody suggest a more flexible marine sanitation hose? It would be nice if it was a bit easier to work with than the Shields 148. That stuff is hard to get on fittings, except for that 90 degree elbow (which is probably why it leaks).
Zydeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 20:18   #2

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo
Almost any sanitation hose will require being "softened" by heating. I usually boil water and dip the end of the hose in until it becomes very pliable. Then it will push onto the barbs of the fitting, and when it cools, will almost not require any clamps.(It is wise to use clamps anyway, LOL) When the hose cools it will conform to the fitting. Down side is that if you ever have to disassemble the joint, you will have to slit the hose where it covers the fitting.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 20:21   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Have you checked out Trident? I don't know if it is any more flexible than what you have but it is kind of the Gold Standard of sanitation hose.

Trident Marine: Sanitation Hose
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 17:31   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Have you checked out Trident? I don't know if it is any more flexible than what you have but it is kind of the Gold Standard of sanitation hose.

Trident Marine: Sanitation Hose
Thanks DeepFrz, great suggestion. I found some Trident "Green Stripe" locally and it's a little more flexible and easier to work with than the Shields. Unfortunately, it will not fit throught a tight spot that I need it to. It is a little bit bigger than the Shields - just enough to make a difference. I may end up re-routing the plumbing in which case I'll use the Trident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain465 View Post
Almost any sanitation hose will require being "softened" by heating. I usually boil water and dip the end of the hose in until it becomes very pliable. Then it will push onto the barbs of the fitting, and when it cools, will almost not require any clamps.(It is wise to use clamps anyway, LOL) When the hose cools it will conform to the fitting. Down side is that if you ever have to disassemble the joint, you will have to slit the hose where it covers the fitting.
Thanks, Cap - very helpful. Some of the hose is in place so I can't dip it in water, but I used a hair dryer to warm it up and it went together easier. The rest I used the hot water thing and it worked great.
Old 22-12-2010, 17:36   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Something isn't right with your elbow.

I have made similar connections with Trident 101 sanitation hose and have zero leakage. I'm not familiar with the shields, is it really 1.5" hose? Or is the elbow you used really a good hose barb 1.5" elbow?
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 18:00   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
That's a thought. Is is it possible either the hose or the elbow is a metric size?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2010, 07:45   #7

Hose Barb

Yeah, I think the elbow is a little too small. I have another one on order from a different supplier and I anticipate it will be a better fit.

I installed a new vented loop and the Shields hose fit tight with no leaks using the hairdryer to soften it up a bit.
Old 23-12-2010, 08:12   #8

Boat: Taswell 49
I use a heat gun to warm this stuff up. My technique is to use a small diameter peice of flexible hose, cheap corrugated stuff works well, to get the length right. Then I mark it with masking tape and sharpie where bends need to be. Next cut the shields or whomever to the right length. Next I try to make the bends using the heat gun before installing the hose. Sometimes it goes; make a bend, partially install, make another bend install some more. I do the ends last. Heating with heat gun evenly until nice and pliable but not scorched. I also will use a little dish detergent on the end fittings.
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2010, 19:22   #9

Success!

Got a new elbow that was a bit tighter fit than the old one. Put it all together using hot water or a hair dryer to soften the hose and a little dishsoap. No leaks so for. Thanks all!