Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2007, 09:02   #1

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Sanitation Hose Cuffs?

Going to replace the san hose from a Raritan Crown Head II, 1.5" hose. Existing hose is white san hose and has a cuff on the end that attaches to the head discharge fitting.

What purpose does the cuff serve? Do I need it or can I just clamp to the discharge fitting?

Thanks in advance for replies.

Old 21-04-2007, 10:23   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I don't think I've ever seen a "cuff" on the end of a san hose. And how does is attach to the head??? Is the cuff fitting under the flange #1222 http://www.raritaneng.com/pdf_files/...eadIIv0702.pdf

But if the fitting on the head is barbed (#1222- B or AW) just a standard SS clamp should do it................._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2007, 10:42   #3
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
I prefer fur lined cuffs anyway ...
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2007, 07:42   #4

Not the best picture, but this shows the cuff connecting to the discharge fitting 1222. Defender sell sthe cuffs for less than $3 each - just wondering if they make life simpler or something... Looks like the cuff eliminates the hose clamp... Not aboard right now else I'd verify. I may have answered my own question...

[IMG]file:///c:/temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG]

Thank God for the plastic cover that normally conceals this mess eh?
Old 22-04-2007, 09:31   #5

The view is not real good but that must be an older version. There isn't a cuff in the drawing. I think I would just buy a new barbed adaptor (1222B) and use a hose clamp. The cuff does't look like it's replaceable, don't know?

Was this installed at the boat manufacturer?? It may be a shrink-on thingie for cosmetic purposes covering up a Band-It® strap. It may already have the barbed fitting.

You do know that the hose is the lid to a can of worms????
If your going to remove that hose you might as well rebuild that whole thing so you don't have to pull the hose again in the near future. I see some other parts that need replacing.

Enjoy...................................._/)
Old 22-04-2007, 09:51   #6

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Mark, This is an older version of the sanitation hose. The cuff was because the hose ID is too small and stiff and would not go over the nipples and not sure why they made them that way. You had to glue them on once the hose was cut to size. The new hoses no longer have the cuffs. You will probably find that you will need a heat gun or pretty powerful hair dryer to heat the end of the white sanitation hose to go over the nipples.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2007, 08:29   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey
Understatement alert!! I've already had this thing apart once to clear the huge wad of TP left by a female guest..... even after the head use lecture. Another reason not to have women aboard... bad luck & all that

Quote:
If your going to remove that hose you might as well rebuild that whole thing so you don't have to pull the hose again in the near future. I see some other parts that need replacing...
What - you mean the green stuff is not factory original?? And that crack in the access plate and silicon sealant on the screws is an issue?

I'm replacing the entire lower assy with a factory refurb unit. This one has a temperment and doesn't always respond when I throw the switch.

Chuck - thanks for the info. Since I'm replacing all hoses anyway I'll hope I don't need the cuffs. Thanks for the heat gun tip!

Now if I can just move enough air through the boat when I crack the fittings.... where did I put that Hurricane fan? And that 55-gallon drum of bleach? And my full-body latex suit?

Old 23-04-2007, 15:09   #8

Boat: Irwin 37 CC ketch 'Ta-Keel-Ah'
Got me a pair of these from the local industrial safety supply shop for cleaning a deep oily bilge and tomorrow - replacing all the head hoses - looks like you could use a pair - I highly recommend them and a mask with vapor rated filters. They have other uses I'mm sure which I will leave to evderyones imagination - lets just say that when I put them on and surprized my wife when I went to bed - there was a look of horror on her face before she laughed and suggested i go get a job as a veternarian.

Old 23-04-2007, 19:58   #9

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
I hate that cheap white sani hose, I just ripped our aft crapper out, holding tank and put in a electro scan system, the PO used that white hose and it was installed less then a year ago, threw a hot wash cloth on it and it stunk... in under a year. I use the 5 year hose form lawrence or the Trident premium.
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2007, 08:03   #10

Boat: Beneteau First 42
For hose see:

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|51|106370|315129&id=106931

and for cuff's see:

http://www.defender.com/product2.jsp?path=-1|51|106370|315129&id=166409

Unfortunately, these fitting invariable seem to leak and are not something I would use.

Good Luck!
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:35   #11

Mystery Solved!!

I should move this one to the "PO Thread".... what appears to be a cuffed hose is actually a hose slid over the discharge fitting sans hose clamps!!

At least the motor is now blowing fuses and will be sent back to the manufacturer under their base assembly refurb exchange program.

MAN I love boats.....
Old 07-05-2007, 09:48   #12

Quote:
Was this installed at the boat manufacturer?? It may be a shrink-on thingie for cosmetic purposes covering up a Band-It® strap. It may already have the barbed fitting.

Enjoy...................................._/)
That's what I thought! You never know what you'll find on boats.