Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2012, 15:10   #16

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Does anyone know how to "unpickle" a Seafari 179 watermaker?

Just a question as I have never had a watermaker. Would you run the watermaker in St.Marys, GA.?? AFAIK most try to run it in good, clean sea water.
Old 28-10-2012, 15:16   #17

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Just a question as I have never had a watermaker. Would you run the watermaker in St.Marys, GA.?? AFAIK most try to run it in good, clean sea water.
As a general rule, no. Try not to run mine in most harbors (very clean tropical anchorages where I can see the bottom 60 feet down is another matter). However, if trying to make sure it works before setting out on a voyage, yes. Run (probably leave the old filters in place). When unpickled and determined that it is doing its job make ~5 gallons and use that to rinse the entire system. Then change the filters, then turn it off until underway. Don't leave it off too long without use.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2012, 15:22   #18

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
As a general rule, no. Try not to run mine in most harbors (very clean tropical anchorages where I can see the bottom 60 feet down is another matter). However, if trying to make sure it works before setting out on a voyage, yes. Run (probably leave the old filters in place). When unpickled and determined that it is doing its job make ~5 gallons and use that to rinse the entire system. Then change the filters, then turn it off until underway. Don't leave it off too long without use.
The waters there (St. Marys, GA.) are more mud than water.
Old 28-10-2012, 15:25   #19

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

To test it before going out, I'd run it long enough to make sure it is able to desalinate water, then use the water that was just made to flush it and pickle it.

I'd rather know it works with dirty water, than not test it at all.

edit......having just looked up the location on google earth....I'd head offshore to check the boat and the watermaker in a sort of mini shakedown cruise.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2012, 15:35   #20

We are a husband and wife team and this is our recent acquisition. We have chartered many times but have never had a watermaker. My husband does not know how to use one either so he has given me the task of finding out.

Thank you all for your replies. Between us, it is becoming clearer.

Do I need to change any filters? Which spares will we need to take with us?
Kaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2012, 15:42   #21

Boat: Outremer 50S

Kaja,

BTW, welcome. Since you don't know their state I would change the filters (after testing/unpickling, no need to put in new filters and then run them in dirty water).

As to the spares, how far are you going, and for how long? At a minimum some spare filters and cleaning supplies, but if you are going far enough you may even want to carry a spare membrane. All depends on your plans and how critical the watermaker will be. For instance, did the PO take out (or never have) fresh water tanks after installing the watermaker? How much tankage do you have? Could you complete your longest passage on the tankage you have? If you could not complete the longest passage on tankage then you are relying on the watermaker to the extent that you should probably be able to do a pretty complete rebuild (membranes, seals, filters) underway. OTOH, if it is a convenience to keep you from having to fill tanks then you could get by with fewer spares and order them when needed. That's somewhat a personal choice.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 16:42   #22

Hi

We have found some of the things in the diagram. We had to take up most of the floorboards and seats. They are all over the place. Phil says that he has found the seawater intake including filters. We are going to the Bahamas and possibly onwards to Trinidad - it depends on whether we get our visas. We will not be reliant on the watermaker and have three water tanks but do not want to spend a lot of money paying for water when we are able to make our own. We have to do some more investigation.
Kaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 17:34   #23

Boat: 2002 Wildcat 350

Greetings Kaja,
Great question. Thanks for asking, We are getting ready to unpickle our watermaker for the first time also and are clueless. Where in St. Marys are you? We are on the hill at the Rocky's boat yard finishing up repairs from damage from Beryl and then leaving for the Bahamas.
Want to sail
Want to sail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
watermaker