Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2012, 09:22   #1

Boat: 46' Bestway Marque
Shore Water Pressure Question

Sorry all - I am a new boat owner and hopefully this will not be a stupid queston for you veterans.

I am trying to figure out how to have constant water pressure through the boat when plugged into the shore line. Right now, the pressure is fine for about 20 seconds. Then drops down at least 50% after that without going back to normal until I turn the water (from faucet) off - then back on again a few minutes later. When I run water from the holding tank through the fresh water pump, there is a nice, constant pressure. I did my best at following all the water lines and it seems that my shore line goes through my fresh water pump along with my tank line (a T connection). Then passes into a blue 1 gallon cannister. My assumption is that the cannister regulates the pressure through the lines so nothing busts.

Someone told me that I should not run the fresh water pump when plugged into the shore as it will destroy my pump. But I did test that one time for a few minutes and when I have the boat plugged into the shore and turn on the fresh water pump - there is constant pressure.

So my question is - do I need to get a larger cannister? Or re-run my lines? Thanks for the help.
Wjpetersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 09:30   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
You need a new pressure regulator. But the shpre water should not run through the pump at all, it should be downstream of the pump.

I am opposed to shore water in any form, it's one of the tidiest ways to sink a boat at the slip.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 09:36   #3

Boat: Newport 30
Re: Shore Water Pressure Question

Just forget it..many new boat owners think hooking-up shore water & pressurizing the system is a great idea..until they wake up in the middle of the night with 6" of water over the cabin sole (ask me how I know).

There is no downside to running your pressure water pump when plugged-into shore power. The pump is 12V & is not connected to your shore power.
jerrymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 10:47   #4

A very good reason for filling your water tank manually, then using your own 12V pump for distribution, flooding and sinking due to the unlimited supply of water from that spigot. Another benefit is the sound the 12V pump makes when it is working. If no fawcets are on and you hear the growl of the pump, it might be trying to tell you something (possibly a leak). Being homeless (live-aboards) we never hook directly up, but we do fill-er up via deck fills. Just something to consider.
Old 29-10-2012, 11:00   #5
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Bypass the tank and pump and run the pressurized line straight to the heater and tap lines. Put a pressure regulator and a quick turn off at the shore source and turn it off when you leave the boat. Turn it on when you return. Make sure your bilge pump system is reliable in case of a leak.

We had this for years with no issues.
Just take some reasonable precautions.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 11:09   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Your pressure regulator that's built into your water connection on the boat (where you attach the dock hose) is not working right. Replace the whole assembly with a new one. Another issue could be your accumulator is water logged. When the water heater heats water the water expands and causes a pressure rise.

You should not need to run the 12V pump with dock water connected.

Like others, I'm not a fan of dock water connections to boat. Too many stories of boats sinking from broken water lines caused by excess city pressure. I just fill the tank one a week or so. As a bonus, my water tanks stay fresh that way...
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 11:12   #7
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

There is clearly a good argument for not having pressurized water aboard, but since we have a foot pump on our water system I am really looking forward to having the pressure while at dock. I suppose if we had a water pump I might reconsider...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 11:13   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

In the spring of '72 I came home to my boat with water above the bilge ceiling. It's an envolved story to explain how a Capuchin monkey failed to finish washing the dishes and left the faucet running, but the end of the story is that I never kept shore water pressurized to my boat since.
Old 29-10-2012, 11:13   #9

I would never hook-up dockside pressure water into my boat for all the reasons listed above. It's as dangerous as leaving a hot unattended charcoal barbeque on board. Where did you get this idea any?
saben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 11:27   #10

Boat: 41' Sail

Another good reason for filling the tank instead of constant shore pressure, you cycle the water in the tanks and that's a good thingy. If you have more than one tank, alternate between them as well. At sea and at dock I am in the habit of using only one of 3 tanks at a time and cycling through them. If there is a leak, only one tank drains
Old 29-10-2012, 11:42   #11
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjpetersen View Post
When I run water from the holding tank through the fresh water pump, there is a nice, constant pressure.
YIKES! First, a vocabulary lesson. The holding tank is not where potable water is stored--it's where waste water is held until it can be discharged.

Add me to the group who think it inadvisable to attach the boat to pressurized shore water. Too many boats sink this way, for no good reason. Even with a pressure regulator, lines burst. And they usually do so either when you're asleep or away from the boat. Picture yourself saying, "Well, I usually turn it off, but since I was just running to the store..." while your boat is only floating from the spreaders up.
Old 29-10-2012, 12:27   #12
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjpetersen View Post
Then drops down at least 50% after that without going back to normal until I turn the water (from faucet) off - then back on again a few minutes later. When I run water from the holding tank through the fresh water pump, there is a nice, constant pressure.

Must be using that fast dissolve marine TP.

Add me to the don't hook up your system to the shore connection. Heck I plugged my shore connection so it can not be done anymore.
Old 29-10-2012, 13:02   #13

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Where ever you are I am sure that the city has more water than you have boat. Fill your tanks and use your onboard pumps. One blown fitting and you are sunk!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 10:02   #14

Boat: 46' Bestway Marque

All,

Thank you very much for your advice and input. I am using the water tank for everyday operation now after reading this thread. The pressure is perfect and constant. I will just learn to fill the tank once a week (if that). It may be a pain at first to fill up 300 gallons - but I will still have a boat to come back to (not flooded).

I am still curious about a couple of things however. First, is the shore water inlet (I have two of them) the same assy as the regulator? Second, what is the 1 gallon blue cannister that is linked to the water pump? If I do ever want to switch back to shore water - I would like to know which items I have to replace in order to have a safe, constant flow from the dock. See links if these are the two things I need to replace. Thanks again.

Water Pressure Regulators

Groco 1 Gal Pressure Storage Tank | Seabound Supply
Wjpetersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 10:40   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Not directly related to your questions, but I have seen a number of boats sink over the years because the owner left the boat with the shore water supply left on and connected to the boat. A hose somewhere in the boat leaked or burst, the bilge pump(s) could not keep up and the boat flooded and sank.

The on board pressure reservoir is for two things, one is to reduce the nuisance factor of having to listen to a pump turn on and off frequently. The other reason is to reduce wear on the water pumps solenoid. The fewer times the solenoid cycles, the longer it should last.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water