Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2023, 18:28   #1

Boat: Viksund Goldfish 31 feet
Diesel heater fuel pump placement

Hi!

It's my first time installing a diesel heater and I struggle a little bit with the placement of the fuel pump.

Here's two pictures.

The first one is the setup with a mikuni that was already broken when I bought the boat.

The second picture is what I assume is a better install for a new one?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0058.jpg
Views:	963
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	274628   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0057.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	274629  

SailorJoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2023, 19:12   #2

Re: Diesel heater fuel pump placement

I got a Planar heater for my boat and the pump is very fussy about how its installed, also, its a metering pump so only clicks every now and then.... not continuously like an engine fuel pump. The fuel line is usually transparent which allows you to see bubbles in the flow[ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5261.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	274630  
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2023, 19:33   #3

Boat: 1999 Hunter 410

2nd photo is the way to go.
Windpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2023, 19:53   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windpilot View Post
2nd photo is the way to go.

Thanks!
Old 26-04-2023, 20:19   #5

Boat: Hullmaster 27

definitely the second ... you do not want a high spot in the line after the pump where air bubbles can accumulate.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2023, 20:57   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
definitely the second ... you do not want a high spot in the line after the pump where air bubbles can accumulate.
Yeah..

I tried to troubleshoot the old Mikuni system that was set up as in the first pic, but I quickly found out the pump was toasted. What you're saying probably explains why.

Hopefully it's gonna work out setting up the new heater with the pump below the diesel tank so the siphon effect helps out.
Old 27-04-2023, 07:42   #7

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
I got a Planar heater for my boat and the pump is very fussy about how its installed, also, its a metering pump so only clicks every now and then.... not continuously like an engine fuel pump. The fuel line is usually transparent which allows you to see bubbles in the flow[ATTACH]

I’ve installed a Webasto and a Espar and in both installations the instructions stressed that it was important to use a solid fuel line so the pulses of fuel are transmitted to the heater rather than being partially absorbed by the elasticity of soft sided hoses. I agree it would be useful to see any bubbles in the line to assist in troubleshooting problems but I think I’d limit the use of clear hose to something like an inch to avoid diminishing the intensity of the pulses of fuel that the unit depends on to work correctly. There’s presumably a reason why all these units use a pulse pump rather than a pump that applies a steady pressure such as those found in most other applications.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2023, 08:46   #8

Boat: Hullmaster 27

my chinese heater came with a rigid hose that was translucent enough to see bubbles ...

This guy does a good job explaining how to set them up and why:
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2023, 09:31   #9

Boat: 40 foot Schucker motorsailer and 46 foot Ted Brewer custom

My Dickinson heater wants the fuel pump installed higher than the heater. Fuel pumps are good at pulling and not good at pushing. Better get it right.
freshalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2023, 10:02   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade 36

I installed an Espar hydronic furnace where the fuel dosing pump is built into the furnace housing.

I found it useful to include a small ball valve in the fuel supply line from the tank pick-up. The valve is closed when the furnace is not in use or when the furnace must be disconnected from the fuel line for service. This helps to maintain a prime in the fuel supply and reduce the need to bleed air from the line.
Tugwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2023, 13:20   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorJoJo View Post
Hi!

It's my first time installing a diesel heater and I struggle a little bit with the placement of the fuel pump.

Here's two pictures.

The first one is the setup with a mikuni that was already broken when I bought the boat.

The second picture is what I assume is a better install for a new one?
Second option is the best , I have the same unit things to watch out for: keep fuel line away from hot exhaust also I had the hotair outlets come loose at least 2 times used copper top sillicone hi heat gasket material To fix that excellent unit
air flow can be very hot if outlet is close to the unit
Still treating a burn on side of my right foot
c.K. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2023, 16:58   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.K. View Post
Second option is the best , I have the same unit things to watch out for: keep fuel line away from hot exhaust also I had the hotair outlets come loose at least 2 times used copper top sillicone hi heat gasket material To fix that excellent unit
air flow can be very hot if outlet is close to the unit
Still treating a burn on side of my right foot
Yikes, that sounds pretty bad. I’m Norwegian so I struggle a little bit with the lack of punctuations, but I think I understand what you’re saying.

On my new heater I’m surprised how close the fuel intake is to the exaust outlet, but it’s the same china brand that everyone use.

My biggest issue now is that the older exhaust exit is slightly bigger in dimensions than my new one. I just need to figure out some solution/adapter.
Old 28-04-2023, 19:51   #13

Quote:
Yikes, that sounds pretty bad. I’m Norwegian so I struggle a little bit with the lack of punctuations, but I think I understand what you’re saying.

On my new heater I’m surprised how close the fuel intake is to the exaust outlet, but it’s the same china brand that everyone use.

My biggest issue now is that the older exhaust exit is slightly bigger in dimensions than my new one. I just need to figure out some solution/adapter.
You could cut 1inch piece of bigger exhaust and shimm it with the help of some Hi heat gasket material
you may have to flatten it and then wrap it around your smaller exhaust
Myself : since you are not allowed to have the exhaust longer than 3 feet or so ,l I drilled a bigger hole into my bathroom wall fed the flex exhaust through and angled it up in to an 1.3/4 316 tube going up 6 feet and then out through the roof
The bigger wall holes I filled with fibre glass cord soaked in hi heat resistant bedding material
At the start up there is a puff of smoke in my well vented bathroom but once running no problem what so ever
As a chimney cap I used an old propane exhaust cap
Old 29-04-2023, 16:48   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.K. View Post
You could cut 1inch piece of bigger exhaust and shimm it with the help of some Hi heat gasket material
you may have to flatten it and then wrap it around your smaller exhaust
Myself : since you are not allowed to have the exhaust longer than 3 feet or so ,l I drilled a bigger hole into my bathroom wall fed the flex exhaust through and angled it up in to an 1.3/4 316 tube going up 6 feet and then out through the roof
The bigger wall holes I filled with fibre glass cord soaked in hi heat resistant bedding material
At the start up there is a puff of smoke in my well vented bathroom but once running no problem what so ever
As a chimney cap I used an old propane exhaust cap

I thought of doing that, cutting a ring from a bigger exhaust and fill the rest with the high heat gasket stuff.

But the exhaust not being longer than a meter/3 feet? Mine is at least 1,5 meters. I've never heard of that.
Old 30-04-2023, 07:10   #15

Quote:
I thought of doing that, cutting a ring from a bigger exhaust and fill the rest with the high heat gasket stuff.

But the exhaust not being longer than a meter/3 feet? Mine is at least 1,5 meters. I've never heard of that.
In case you have the orange china planar heater, that is what is says in the, instructions, any ways there is an issue with condensation in the exhaust , like I said before mine goes into a much bigger diameter pipe strait up 6feet
Isn't there a muffler with yours?
the small exhaust pipe that came with the unit did not fit this muffler but the flex exhaust you can buy will, so here I used a piece of the bigger pipe and wisted it on the smaller with some effort, in this way you can use that muffler as connection once again use hi heat sillicone gasket mat .

Tags
diesel, fuel, fuel pump, heater, men, pump