Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2018, 05:40   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 52.2, Merit 25
Dessalator d60 alarm light

Trying to get my dessalator duo d60 watermaker going on my new to me boat. I installed new membranes and was able to get it producing fresh water momentarily until the whole unit stopped and I had an “alarm” light illuminate on the control panel (see picture). Now, it will not restart, all I have is the alarm light with no response.

Planning to jump off for the Bahamas in the next couple days and would like to troubleshoot while in the US if possible. Any help/suggestions is tremendously appreciated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8715.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	180150
Swift Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:03   #2

Boat: Amel 50
Re: Dessalator d60 alarm light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift Drift View Post
Trying to get my dessalator duo d60 watermaker going on my new to me boat. I installed new membranes and was able to get it producing fresh water momentarily until the whole unit stopped and I had an “alarm” light illuminate on the control panel (see picture). Now, it will not restart, all I have is the alarm light with no response.

Planning to jump off for the Bahamas in the next couple days and would like to troubleshoot while in the US if possible. Any help/suggestions is tremendously appreciated.

Attachment 180150
I don't have the same watermaker but I'll have it on my next boat.

Here's their website: https://www.dessalator.fr/en/products/serie-ac-dc-duo/

You can find the manual with this search: "dessalator duo watermaker manual pdf"

It is my understanding that they reply to email.

Good luck.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:17   #3

Thanks for the suggestion. The manual doesn’t appear to address my problem. The only thing it indicates is a possible over pressure situation.
I’ve released pressure via pressure knob and tried restarting the unit without success.
I’m becoming worried that my brand new membranes could be damaged since today marks the 5th day since it stopped running and without the pump running, I have no way to pickle the membranes.

Anyone have any ideas on how to at least save my brand new membranes??
Old 06-11-2018, 10:57   #4

Here is a way:

You can get some PVC tubes with inside diameter larger than the membranes. Cut them so that the membranes fit inside. Get few PVC end caps for them. They are available at hardware stores that sell plumbing stuff.

Then, it is just a matter of placing the membranes in the tubes and filling them with preservative.

You can also remove the complete membrane assembly (tube and membrane) and fill it with preservative.

Whatever you do, do not let the membranes dry out.
Old 18-11-2018, 07:24   #5

Ok, so I was able to backflow fresh water from my tank to keep the membranes fresh. I’m doing this every 7-10 days to ensure they don’t go bad. I’m also making sure this water is run through a charcoal filter first to remove any chlorine.

Still no dice on getting my water maker to engage. Considering trying to “Hotwire” either my 12volt dc or my 120volt ac motors to run my pump. I have power to both motors so it must be a blocked signal from my control panel that isn’t being passed through to start system.

Any thoughts? I’m running out of ideas for things to try.
Old 18-11-2018, 11:21   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift Drift View Post
Ok, so I was able to backflow fresh water from my tank to keep the membranes fresh. I’m doing this every 7-10 days to ensure they don’t go bad. I’m also making sure this water is run through a charcoal filter first to remove any chlorine.

Still no dice on getting my water maker to engage. Considering trying to “Hotwire” either my 12volt dc or my 120volt ac motors to run my pump. I have power to both motors so it must be a blocked signal from my control panel that isn’t being passed through to start system.

Any thoughts? I’m running out of ideas for things to try.
I don't know if you did already, but I would contact the company. I've heard they respond.
Old 19-11-2018, 07:31   #7

I emailed the company about a week ago and haven’t had a response yet.

However, I was able to figure out a work around:

I used a jumper wire to activate the solenoid on the 12 volt motor to run the high pressure pump. I was then able to get water to flow through and produce fresh water by pressing a knob/button on the side of a box behind the pressure control knob on the dessalator panel. I’ve included a pic of the knob I pressed with a red probe pointing to it. I believe it is some sort of bypass button....pretty cool to find.

I can still regulate pressure via the pressure adjustment knob. I just need to remember to monitor the quality of my product water before sending to my tanks.

I’ll troubleshoot the real problem later but for now I’m making water.

Hopefully this is helpful for someone in the future.
Old 19-11-2018, 10:32   #8

I think they are busy with the METS show in Amsterdam. Good job finding a work around. Can you post the picture you mentioned?
So, what you did is not mentioned in the manual? If you can figure out what you bypassed, you'll determine your problem.
I just came from the Amel factory and I saw my Dessalator on the floor next to my boat ready to be installed...
Old 19-11-2018, 15:13   #9

Here is a pic showcasing the knob/button. In the pic I’m pointing a red probe at the knob/button.

I’m not convinced that this is actually my problem item. I think this is designed to open when everything is operating properly. Me forcing by it open could be addressing the symptom, not the problem.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8740.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	180922
Old 01-08-2022, 08:59   #10

Hello Swift Drift, did you update the forum on what was the cause of your problem? thank you
Jason 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alarm