Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2012, 18:13   #76

Boat: 46' Seiner
Re: Composting Toilet - Nature's Head

We Love our Natures head...my wife never complains...the girl anatomy seems to find the pee area of the toilet just fine...so peeing and pooing go in different places automatically...fellas have to sit down to pee but in a rolling 4/6 foot seas the like we have around here you can't stand up to pee anyway...we avaerage 50 poops before I have to turn the night soil into a trash bag then refill with 2 gallons of peat moss...Now we can't put grey water into the harbour or for that matter many harbours since the shipping act changed May 12 of this year...you can't wash your hands and let the bubbles trail out the hull...I am in the process of changing our black water holding tank to a grey water holder...just for the sensitive anchor spots. "Oh" the pee water ...the two gallon built in holding removable tank goes with me up to the service hut and I put it down the city sewer....did I say we have been living aboard 24/7 for the past 4 years and the natures head has been in place for two months...sure don't miss that Jabasco horid pump noise at three am reverberating accross the harbour.
Tony_Owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 18:47   #77

Couldn't have put it better myself
EighthWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 18:52   #78

Boat: Cal 2-27

I have used the c head all summer and really like it. No complaints here
Old 24-10-2012, 19:59   #79

Boat: 320 Catalina and a 16ft Scruffie " Oma Martha"

Good to see more and more people get the message. We installed a Airhead 10 month ago and no more smell. We have two pee bottles and swap them over when we go home. At home we have a septic tank so nothing goes back in the Ocean.
Good gear

Reiner
reiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 20:00   #80

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We have an Airhead. We are on the Great Lakes so the entire watershed is No Discharge. The composting head makes it possible to cruise remote areas where pump-outs are few and far apart. We may anchor out far from people in the North Channel for example fror weeks at a time. I keep a small folding spade on board and bury the contents periodically in remote wooded places. Use dry leaves as the composting media. The liquid is sterile as noted. We follow the advice of the park service for colorado river rafters - dilute the liquid and bury the solids. Admit it - we guys do check the depth from time to time, no difference. If a marina is convenient the liquids are easy to handle. An extra pee pot is essential. We used a solar vent to the tank ventillation. This is OK most of the time but the standard batteries are inadequate. I am looking for AGM or Lithium to replace the NiCads.

The Air Head people are great to work with and we cut a nice deal with the saleman at the Chicago All Sail boat show. I preferred their product to Nature's Head due to a few geometric issues and the ease with which the AH pee pot can be removed without disturbing the main unit. The design also places the blower remote from the pot which I think is better engineering.

The suggested procedure of "use a coffee filter over the rear door to reduce the cleaning up later" is too messy and adds paper to the pot. We find that careful aim and opening the bomb-bay door at the right time avoids any need for post use cleaning.

The boat also has a direct out (and locked out) Vac-U-Flush and a second Vac-U-Flush to a Y valve out (locked) or to an 18 gal holding tank. With the 18 gal holding tank, the Air Head is essential.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0343.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	367.7 KB
ID:	48758   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0347.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	384.6 KB
ID:	48759  

Click image for larger version

Name:	SOLAR VENT 3.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	403.3 KB
ID:	48760  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 06:51   #81

The only thing that I have had a problem with is tiny fungus gnats...I use store bought peat moss? The toilet has all the proper air filters in place...anyone else have any bug problems...just cleaned out the big chamber and there was a few extra flies in the cabin, now this am all is fine...I am wondering if the eggs are in the peat moss?
Old 25-10-2012, 06:58   #82

I haven't had that problem at all. I've heard it can result from waiting too long to change up the peat, but I'm not sure. I add a touch of cedar mulch to mine, which I find adds a nice cedar scent and I believe cedar keeps bugs down naturally. I Actually now have two Natures Heads. I can now go much longer between changes.
Old 25-10-2012, 07:07   #83

I am going to buy some coir mulch next time and try that.
Old 25-10-2012, 08:33   #84
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Rebel Heart had a problem one time with bugs that seemed to come from the peat moss he was using. He removed his because of it.

I like the Coir as it is renewable, cheap and compact to store. And I have not had any bugs. The coir seems pretty sterile to me.

To be extra careful you could bake it in a hot oven I suppose. That seems like a lot of bother.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 12:36   #85

Unfortunately where i am im Canada the bag of Peat I buy is $6.99. The same size bag of coir is $70 and I have to pay for shipping.
Old 25-10-2012, 13:26   #86

Boat: Ohlson 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Owen View Post
The only thing that I have had a problem with is tiny fungus gnats...I use store bought peat moss? The toilet has all the proper air filters in place...anyone else have any bug problems...just cleaned out the big chamber and there was a few extra flies in the cabin, now this am all is fine...I am wondering if the eggs are in the peat moss?
Ive been using my airhead for the past couple months with coir. I had a few gnats initially, but not since I began regularly spraying bug spray inside the solids bin.

Fwiw: I'm much happier with the airhead than my previous setup. It's not perfect, but it doesn't smell and it can't break down.
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 14:08   #87

Boat: FP Athena 38 - Breakaway

I also had a probalme with bugs, but they were not gnats. Mmine were VERY tiny and I reserached and learned that they are grain mites. They would bunch up on teh lid and look like fungus. They came form the peat moss I was using. I fixed the problem by mixing in some diatomaceous earth with the peat moss in teh bin,a nd I have not seen them since....
mtnsapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 18:33   #88

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Owen View Post
Just getting used to this blog...I reposted in the wrong spot and hit the wrong button...I try again...

The only thing that I have had a problem with is tiny fungus gnats...I use store bought peat moss? The toilet has all the proper air filters in place...anyone else have any bug problems...just cleaned out the big chamber and there was a few extra flies in the cabin, now this am all is fine...I am wondering if the eggs are in the peat moss? Anyone else have any bug problems with theirs?
Bugs have not been a problem but - short squirt of Raid and close the lid - open the trap door and waid a few minutes.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 19:30   #89

Just recieved an email from the head office of Natures Head...they are such great folks...I emailed them about my bug problem...

...this is what they said in their words..." Tony, yes there is a solution. There is a product called Diatomaceous Earth that kills and prevents them. This can be bought at a swimming pool supply store, Lowes, etc. Add approx. 3 cups to the compost. Also add that when you empty and change the peat moss.
Please feel free to call or email with any questions.
Regards, Larry

We don't have a "Lowes" here on Vancouver Island but I will check out the pool supply shop on the W/E...
Old 28-10-2012, 06:51   #90
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by EighthWonder View Post
Unfortunately where i am im Canada the bag of Peat I buy is $6.99. The same size bag of coir is $70 and I have to pay for shipping.
Bustan - Toronto Hydroponics Grow Lights Nutrients Hydroponic Supplies Canada

Coir Bricks | Buy from Gardener's Supply

Most garden suppliers will have it ; -)

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head