Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2018, 06:37   #46

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada
Re: Bilge water flowing back to bilge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sky View Post
Try a WaterWitch bilge pump switch. They’ll run the pump 15 seconds after it stops detecting water, solved the problem for me.
+1 on this pump switch.

We had the same problem of pump cycling when we bought our boat. We did two things - replaced the original centrifugal pump with a diaphragm pump and installed this switch. Completely solved the problem of water flowing back into the bilge and cycling the original pump. Two much larger bilge pumps with separate float switches are mounted higher in the bilge.

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 07:29   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

The "Water Witch" 217, 230, 101, 230-24, 101-24 submersible electronic bilge pump switches have a Delay On of 6-8 Seconds, and a Delay Off of14-16 Seconds, which helps prevent rapid pump cycling.
However, in some cases (where there is a lot of rain water entering the bilge), the water may be too clean for the sensor to see.
The Water Witch uses a field effect detector cell to sense the presence of water in the bilge. The switch activates the bilge pump when the rising water level reaches a depth of approximately two inches. The pump will continue to run until the water level drops to 3/4 of an inch. The switch consumes power from the battery when in standby mode, however the current drain, 20 milliamps is far too low to be of concern.
An alternate approach is based on sensing the electrical capacitance of water is used in the "Oil Smart" switch made by See Water Inc.

See also ➥ http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ews-22262.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 08:41   #48

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
The pump will continue to run until the water level drops to 3/4 of an inch.
Gord - I believe there is one very minor correction to your excellent post. The water witch will not stop the pump at 3/4" of water, but this is the point where the time delay will kick in to keep the pump running for 6-8 seconds after the 3/4" level is reached.

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 08:55   #49

Raise the pump so the amount of water in pipe does not set it off when comes back in...
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 09:55   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
Gord - I believe there is one very minor correction to your excellent post. The water witch will not stop the pump at 3/4" of water, but this is the point where the time delay will kick in to keep the pump running for 6-8 seconds after the 3/4" level is reached.
Cheers!
Steve
Indeed.
Thanks, Steve.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 10:19   #51
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd002e View Post
Thank you all for the replies. I put an inline check valve in there and observing what it will do.

However, I noticed some behavior from the RULE 500 automatic bilge pump that I am not sure is normal. When I dunk the pump in a container full of water it does not turn on. The pump turns on for a brief period every 2.5 minutes, it stops immediately if there is no water but if there is water it goes on until the water is pumped out.

Is this normal?!
These Rule automatic bilge pumps cycle to see if there is water above a certain level. If water is high enough it pumps it out, if not high enough it doesn't so some water will always remain at that lowest level. That's normal.

That said, I have one of these automatic pumps on my boat and it seems to run excessively even with an inline check valve at the pump level. I believe this is due to my large bilge area and nature of these vane pumps. So, I do not leave it on automatic as I have my main 3700GPM pump on automatic. I use the smaller pump only on manual.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:21   #52

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord 12.3m

Fit a one way valve in the pipe
Old 04-01-2019, 12:42   #53

Boat: Swanson

very common problem , where the bilge is narrow and deep
strict rule to follow
1/ bilge pump must be alway primed
2/ non return valve , always primed
3/ float switch positioned above all

this is very critical , if there is air between the pump and valve
waight of water in the pipe hold the valves shut,
the centrifugal pump will not pump.
It will run until burn itself/ kills the battery or boat sank.
Tikka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:19   #54

Boat: Morgan 383

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd002e View Post
When the bilge pump kicks in, it pumps about a quart of water out and when it stops that water flows back into the bilge. The users manual does not recommend using a check valve but the re-flow is just enoughto trigger the sensor (fully automatic bilge pump) so the pump goes into a futile cycle (every 20 minutes or so).

Aside from cleaning out the remainder manually, how does one deal with this?
Sounds as though you're dealing with line size vs head pressure. If this is a large diameter line i.e. 1.5 Inches the head pressure is to great to overcome the vertical distance to discharge the water. The answer is a second pump with a lower GPH and smaller hose diameter i.e. half inch at the lowest point in the bilge. More water can be discharged because the head pressure is much lower.
PutSon IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 14:12   #55

Boat: Dudley Dix aluminum 43'

As mentioned by someone in another post, we us an Arid Bilge Arid Bilge Home system that completely removes the pool of water left by the the flow back from the hose of main Rule centrifugal pump. The Arid Bilge is a very low capacity pumping system so is supplementary to centrifugal and diaphram pumps but does eliminate all the water left behind by those pump types resulting in a dry boat.

Tried a check valve but the Rule pump did not produce enough pressure to operate it.

The Arid Bilge is probably the most expensive, lowest capacity bilge pump one can buy but it has worked very well for the past 5+ years. The pump is located centrally and has 1/8" hoses to the main bilge and the bilge under the engine. Actually installed it to eliminate water from the latter compartment which was a problem due inaccessibility.

Anyway, it runs automatically every 20 minutes or so and sucks out every last drop.
Namoian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 14:22   #56

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namoian View Post
As mentioned by someone in another post, we us an Arid Bilge Arid Bilge Home system that completely removes the pool of water left by the the flow back from the hose of main Rule centrifugal pump. The Arid Bilge is a very low capacity pumping system so is supplementary to centrifugal and diaphram pumps but does eliminate all the water left behind by those pump types resulting in a dry boat.

Tried a check valve but the Rule pump did not produce enough pressure to operate it.

The Arid Bilge is probably the most expensive, lowest capacity bilge pump one can buy but it has worked very well for the past 5+ years. The pump is located centrally and has 1/8" hoses to the main bilge and the bilge under the engine. Actually installed it to eliminate water from the latter compartment which was a problem due inaccessibility.

Anyway, it runs automatically every 20 minutes or so and sucks out every last drop.

I couldn't find a price on Arid. Please tell us what you paid for it.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 19:35   #57

Boat: Dudley Dix aluminum 43'

Hi Stormalong, We purchased the Arid Bilge system seven years ago so it would be good to inquire directly but it was approximately $1,500 for the two zone "Nano" unit.
Namoian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 19:56   #58

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namoian View Post
Hi Stormalong, We purchased the Arid Bilge system seven years ago so it would be good to inquire directly but it was approximately $1,500 for the two zone "Nano" unit.
Namoian thanks for the info. Pricey little devils. I can see that with an aluminum hull you would want your bilge to be dry.

While I like the design they are out of my price range but they give me some design ideas for water pickups and maybe an Arduino based pump controller.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 20:56   #59

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
Namoian thanks for the info. Pricey little devils. I can see that with an aluminum hull you would want your bilge to be dry.

While I like the design they are out of my price range but they give me some design ideas for water pickups and maybe an Arduino based pump controller.

There’s info I saw a couple days ago online about how to build a similar system, but with a timer rather than water sensor and with a sponge to soak up water that is then sucked up by tubes leading to a diaphragm pump, all supposedly for about $100.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:42   #60

Boat: Tayana 47

https://www.google.com/amp/s/lifeemp...ge-system/amp/

Here’s the link to the DIY system I referenced above. For $100 it seems like it might be worthwhile to give it a try to me.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, water