Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2014, 20:31   #1

Boat: Ericson 35 Mk III
Bilge Pumps

I have Rule 500 and 800 pumps in my bilge with a float switch, both about 3 years old. The whole system seems to have gone all at once. The float switch doesn't respond at all and the motors run when turned on manually but don't move any water. Seems like they should have lasted longer than that. Is that typical in other peoples' experiences, and is there something out there that might last longer than Rule?
SVMorningStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 20:39   #2

Boat: Spencer 42 hull 17
Send a message via Skype™ to Chasing Summer
Re: Bilge pumps

When's the last time you had them out and cleaned and serviced them? Are any of the electrical connections below a would-be water line? It's electro/mechanical and it's a boat ... everything need constant maintenance. I hope also have a couple mounted manual pumps as well. You know, just in case of total electrical failure.
Old 27-05-2014, 21:50   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Since the pump motors run but don't move water, there is a good chance that something has gotten into the pump and caused the impeller to strip it self off the shaft. It will drive you crazy trying to figure that out because when you look at the impeller out of the water it will spin like it should. Put it in water where there is a load on it and the impeller will slip on the shaft. This can be an issue with all submersible pumps.

If you want to try something different, take a look at the Whale Supersub. I've heard good things about it but I haven't tried one my self yet.
Whale Supersub Bilge Pump 12V 650GPH
Old 28-05-2014, 14:07   #4

Boat: Ericson 35 Mk III

Not sure how to clean/service one of these. They seem to be pretty much all one piece except for the blue screen on the bottom.
SVMorningStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 14:34   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVMorningStar View Post
Not sure how to clean/service one of these. They seem to be pretty much all one piece except for the blue screen on the bottom.
My 1500 Rule has two clips on the side and the whole body lifts off to clean the impeller. Replaced the float switch with a Water Witch electronic switch last year too.
Old 28-05-2014, 14:41   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

About all you can do with those pumps is remove the base (blue screen) and clean them. If the impeller has spun on the shaft, buy a new one.

Rule has pretty good customer service and even though these lasted three times longer than the warranty, if you tell them you're disappointed in how long they lasted, they may do something for you.
Old 28-05-2014, 14:47   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
If you want to try something different, take a look at the Whale Supersub. I've heard good things about it but I haven't tried one my self yet.
Whale Supersub Bilge Pump 12V 650GPH
We have two of those on board, one waiting for a TUIT, ie me getting round to it. The other is an auto, rigged under the engine which is the most likely location for a leak on our boat. Pumps water out into the cockpit so the crew get wet feet if there is a leak and hopefully investigate. However, since we have dry dusty bilges it hasn't ever been called upon in 5 years.

On previous boats (mostly Ribs) cheap rule/Johnson pumps only last a few years when mounted on an open deck. However, have heard good things about the "Gold" range which are a little more bomb proof all be it at a price.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, bilge pump