Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2017, 05:38   #1
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
$1,500 watermaker

Does anyone have any experience with these watermakers? 21gph and will run of a Honda 2000
https://seawaterpro.com/
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:53   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: $1,500 watermaker

I don't have a watermaker, but have read all the various boat wm sites I could find the past 10 years and I have experience in industrial RO systems. This one is by far the least expensive I've ever seen and it gives the reason pretty straight. It's the high pressure pump, which I find is the cost driver in pretty much all these "home grown" type of systems. So if you are handy and don't mind the risk of having to replace the HP pump I think they make sense.

I'm sure the normal players will be along soon to give the "ain't so" spin.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:57   #3
cruiser

This statement from the company website explains some of the cost savings:

"1. I own a machine shop where I manufacture as many parts as it makes financial sense, the rest I import from China bypassing the middle man."
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 06:23   #4

Boat: Jeanneau SO 34.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
It's the high pressure pump, which I find is the cost driver in pretty much all these "home grown" type of systems. So if you are handy and don't mind the risk of having to replace the HP pump I think they make sense.
Cheap enough to have a spare HP pump or two along from day one and still be ahead of the game on cost. Anyone cost-conscious enough to consider this system wouldn't have gotten this far in life without being able to switch out a pump, surely.
steffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 06:28   #5
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffan View Post
Cheap enough to have a spare HP pump or two along from day one and still be ahead of the game on cost. Anyone cost-conscious enough to consider this system wouldn't have gotten this far in life without being able to switch out a pump, surely.

My thoughts exactly. And when installing the system make the HP pump easily accessible!
Old 01-08-2017, 06:46   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

We already have a cruiser here on the forum who made his own wm using a cheap Kärcher high pressure washer.

The only expensive parts in a "marine" wm system normally are the high pressure pump, membrane(s), and pressure vessel(s). The shop above is using a pressure washer pump also. I think the price should be lower, below 1000 bucks easy.
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 06:56   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

The diagram which shows what is included says the high pressure pump is a pressure washer. So how long will that withstand salt water rather than the domestic tap water it was designed for?

Wonder how noisy it is?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:04   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

not long. The Kärcher guy always had a spare washer aboard. about 70-80usd each I recall.
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:04   #9
cruiser

Most of the people interested in this watermaker would more likely be less concerned with noise, and attracted primarily by price. 'Just a hunch. That Honda generator will also make some noise.

BTW, how much does the Honda generator cost and how much is the extra pump you'll need? I'd assume this needs to be added to the "cost to aquire." Then how does the cost savings compare to the more proven units available with this factored in? Remembering that a unit like a Spectra doesn't require a generator and can be run off solar.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:11   #10

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
how much is the extra pump you'll need? I'd assume this needs to be added to the "cost to aquire."
The site says he buys the pumps on Amazon for about $100 ea. You can buy a lot of pumps for the price difference.

This can run off 12v with an inverter.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:25   #11

Boat: center console

You install it with a Y valve in the seawater inlet and a few feet of hose. After filling your tanks with freshwater, you fill a 5 gallon bucket & flush the system with freshwater at no pressure.
1affiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:42   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Most of the people interested in this watermaker would more likely be less concerned with noise, and attracted primarily by price. 'Just a hunch. That Honda generator will also make some noise.

BTW, how much does the Honda generator cost and how much is the extra pump you'll need? I'd assume this needs to be added to the "cost to aquire." Then how does the cost savings compare to the more proven units available with this factored in? Remembering that a unit like a Spectra doesn't require a generator and can be run off solar.
VAT paid about a £1000 to you. Actually the honda isn't that noisy compared to the cheap ones and positively silent next to our pressure washer which I wouldn't want to run in a nice quiet anchorage for several hours a day.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:44   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1affiah View Post
You install it with a Y valve in the seawater inlet and a few feet of hose. After filling your tanks with freshwater, you fill a 5 gallon bucket & flush the system with freshwater at no pressure.
Still got saltwater going through it. Still they do sell a better quality pump for another £1200, but a total of $2500 buys a lot of water.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:57   #14
smj

Quote:

Either way you have to own or purchase either solar or a Honda. The Honda 2000 runs about $1,000 and the pumps $87.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:01   #15

Boat: Freedom, Mull 30

Performing a fresh water flush on the HP after each use will lengthen the life of the HP pump considerably.
toodleoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, watermaker