Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2014, 06:53   #1

Boat: Dufour 36 Classic
Volvo MS25S-A Saildrive replacement

Hi,

Anyone else have some corrosion on your MS25 saildrive?

I thought about seeing if it would be possible to replace just the lower gear housing, but find that for some reason, you can only buy the entire assembly...

Surely that cant be right?

The website shows the exploaded diagram, which would suggest the whole thing can be taken apart, so I could take the inards out of my corroded lower gear and put them in to the new housing, next time it is out the boat (ie when the leg seal needs changing)

Any views?

Alternatively, if I was to remove the housing, does anyone know anything that could be done to 'repair' the existing leg? Eg stripping the part and having it professionally powder coated for instance?

Kind regards

Jason
lone_viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 07:16   #2

Boat: grampian 26
Re: Volvo MS25S-A Saildrive replacement

If the case is bad enough to warrant replacement you might be able to find used ones in good condition. Internal parts are relatively easy to come by but cases not so much.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 15:39   #3

Boat: 45 ft aluminium sailboat
Re: Volvo MS25S-A Saildrive replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_viper View Post
Hi,

Anyone else have some corrosion on your MS25 saildrive?

I thought about seeing if it would be possible to replace just the lower gear housing, but find that for some reason, you can only buy the entire assembly...

Surely that cant be right?

The website shows the exploaded diagram, which would suggest the whole thing can be taken apart, so I could take the inards out of my corroded lower gear and put them in to the new housing, next time it is out the boat (ie when the leg seal needs changing)

Any views?

Alternatively, if I was to remove the housing, does anyone know anything that could be done to 'repair' the existing leg? Eg stripping the part and having it professionally powder coated for instance?

Kind regards

Jason
Hi Jason,
No (yet) corrosion on my MS25, fitted on an aluminium boat. But the engine is totally isolated regarding th DC current.
I got some corrosion in a locker. Two very famous shipyards for aluminium boat told me that for minor cracks they use an epoxy compound from Belzona; Maybe to could have a look on their website. This is a costly material but with pretty good results.
regards
Gael
gael is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, sail, saildrive, volvo