Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2010, 03:54   #1

Rope is Wrapped Around the SD40

hello to all, during a navigation a rope is wrapped around the SD40 of my boat. the rope is wrapped around the propellar too, breaking both the clutch on the engine sprocket.

Has anyone had an experience like mine? the cost for repair is about Euro 5000 in my opinion very expensive. thank you all. hello

Any information to request.

Thanks in advance!
Shippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:45   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Where did the "rope"/line come from? Onboard your vessel? It is one of the most important aspects of being in command of a vessel to make sure nothing is hanging over the side into the water.
- - Physicists claim that there are five "forces" in this world/universe but there really are six. The sixth being the attraction between rope/line/hose for anything metallic like a propeller or shaft.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:03   #3

The line/rope cames from the sea.... not cames from on board...
Old 08-09-2010, 06:40   #4

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
It sounds like a lot but it somewhat depends on what it includes. I blew an oil seal on one of mine and it cost me nearly $3000, but that included hauling the boat, 10 days of Yard fees, replacing the hull seals, replacing the pilot shaft which was damaged by the failed seal and of course the seal itself. That repair lasted less than 100 hours but more than the 90 day warranty. I fixed it the second time for $25 and about 3 hours of my time. This time I did not haul the boat or replace the hull seals and of course my labor was free. Some parts are very expensive and if the boat needs hauled to get the rope off, that price is probably correct. I guess you should ask how much a new SD50 would cost.

What type of propeller do you have? My propellers have a rubber hub that is suppose to spin to prevent damage to the drive should the prop become jammed.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:18   #5

Especially in the northern Caribbean floating debris and drift nets are a major hazard. Fishermen from poverty stricken nations are out setting drift nets off the shores of other countries trying to catch fish that are no longer available in their home waters. The nets are buoyed by black empty plastic oil jugs which are very difficult to see in the daytime and impossible at night. Almost worse is they use cheap polyprop line which does not sink.
- - I snagged one such net on the way from Mayaguana to Provo and luckily I had my trusty Spurrs link cutter, freshly sharpened to save the day. It cut loose the net and lines but a significant amount got caught by the rudder. That knocked my speed in half for the remainder of the voyage to Provo.
- - Talking to the government clearance officer the next morning, he went on about how these nets are raping the fish from their prize diving sites and ruining their tourist business. So it seems that such floating hazards are increasing these days. A good line cutter like the Spurrs system can help save your day.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:35   #6

cost $ 5000 includes:
- Hauling and launching
- Pause for 4 days on site
- Replacement of the whole clutch assy
- Work shop. but said me it is very difficult (1500 euros)
- Replacement of the sprocket. How do I see that the spring drive is broken? turn hand springs ....

thanks for the help
Old 08-09-2010, 07:48   #7

Symptoms "... Suddenly it stopped the propeller and the engine died. Restarting, the march is not geared only in neutral and turned more ..."
Old 10-09-2010, 10:39   #8

Boat: jeanneau Gin Fizz-38'
You are very lucky....If the line in question was fixed at the other end and you were at high RPM, the line will wrap around the prop and shaft and act like a wheel puller with a lot of force. (depends on line diameter) It could pull out a stern tube.....
redhead78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 14:23   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shippo View Post
cost $ 5000 includes:
- Hauling and launching
- Pause for 4 days on site
- Replacement of the whole clutch assy
- Work shop. but said me it is very difficult (1500 euros)
- Replacement of the sprocket. How do I see that the spring drive is broken? turn hand springs ....

thanks for the help
You might consider installing a "line cutter" on each prop since you will have the boat out of the water anyway. Here is a link to the Spurrs System:
Spurs Marine - Line & Net Cutter

Tags
sd40