Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2018, 09:11   #1

Boat: Beneteau 323
Ok to spray paint Kiwi Prop?

I just had my 2007 Beneteau 323 bottom painted and my Kiwi prop lubricated and painted. I noticed that they spray painted the prop with a non ablative grey paint. I had not had the prop spray painted before. I took the boat out the next day and found that at rpms above 2000, the shaft starts shuddering a lot. Before the boat was hauled out it never did this. I'm wondering if the shuddering is a result of spray painting the prop. Each of the blades can freely rotate and if the paint on one of the blades is preventing movement, then I think this might be causing the problem (or paint drips on one blade). Has anyone else had this problem with a Kiwi prop?

Thanks

Paul
Paul8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 19:06   #2

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40
Re: Ok to spray paint Kiwi Prop?

I have, on PYI recommendation, spray painted my MaxProp (using zinc-paint) very successfully. Never had the issues you suggest. I find it hard to believe that reasonably applied spray paint could interfere with proper swiveling, but it is possible if one got very overly ambitious.

Did you do any other work on the drivetrain (including zincs)?
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 20:43   #3

Boat: 50ft Kelsall Tonga Catamaran

I prop speed our two kiwi props on our cat and have never had that problem, but you may be able to full deflect the blades by hand but under operating conditions maybe, just maybe under running conditions one blade pulls up short, just a thought.

Cheers Rod Lewis
doublebubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 21:12   #4

Boat: Armstrong 42' Catamaran

Hi
I also use propspeed on the 2 Kiwi Props. I just brush on the topcoat.
I wonder if you picked up something on one of the blades once in the water - a piece of rope or something that is not falling off.
Kiwi Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2018, 09:47   #5

I don't think the spray painting would have this effect. I've a Kiwi on a Tartan 37 Yanmar 4JHE and think that it's great. The prop came with replacement delrin bushings for each prop blade: I wonder if when greasing a bushing was forced out of its' perch? Perhaps that would cause some vibration.
boatman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2018, 11:22   #6

I’m hauling the boat out on Monday to check the Kiwi prop. I’ll let you know what I find out. Thanks for all of the advice.
Paul
Old 19-05-2018, 13:21   #7

Boat: Casacde 36

I sprayed mine with Petit Barnacle Blocker last haul. No problems.
I did, however, talk to a fellow who claimed to have had a problem and the cause was too much paint around the blade root area, which had resulted in the prop not performing properly.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 09:47   #8

Boat: Marples 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01kiwijohn View Post
I did, however, talk to a fellow who claimed to have had a problem and the cause was too much paint around the blade root area, which had resulted in the prop not performing properly.
How did the antifoul perform? I'm thinking of using the same paint on our Kiwiprop.
CGirvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 18:43   #9

I had the diver inspect it in November and it was perfect, then. We logged about 800 nm last year. I've scheduled another inspection, in the next 2 weeks, before we head up your way (You're in BC, but where?). I'll try to remember to let you know. If I forget, don't be afraid to remind me.
Old 21-05-2018, 16:34   #10

Quote:
I had the boat hauled today. It turns out that all three blades rotated freely, but the pitch on one of the blades was way off. Kiwi blades feather independently and there is an allen screw to adjust each blade separately. The screw on the problem blade was backed almost entirely out (pitch may have been close to 15 degrees on that blade). The pitch on the other two blades was set correctly to 22 degrees. The technician adjusted the pitch on the problem blade to 22 degrees. The severe vibration is now gone! There is almost no vibration up to full throttle. The marina did not charge for the haul out because they figured it was their fault. They are not that familiar with Kiwiprops. They also can't figure out which technician changed the pitch on the problem blade. Oh well, I'm just happy that the vibration is gone! Note: if you paint a Kiwiprop I think it is important to watch out for buildup of paint at the root of the blade so that they rotate freely.
Old 29-05-2018, 08:09   #11

Thumbs up Re: Ok to spray paint Kiwi Prop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGirvan View Post
How did the antifoul perform? I'm thinking of using the same paint on our Kiwiprop.
To answer your question: Just had it dived on and the Barnacle Blocker is performing wonderfully. Boat has been in its slip for a couple of months but there were only 2 very small barnacles on it, which the diver claims were just "flicked off with my finger". I'd coated the shaft and strut too and they're also clean.
I have a zinc saver and it must be working well. The 2 zincs were replaced in November and he could still read the stamped brand/size on one of them.
Hope that helps.
Old 29-05-2018, 08:34   #12

Boat: Marples 37

Quote:
To answer your question: Just had it dived on and the Barnacle Blocker is performing wonderfully. Boat has been in its slip for a couple of months but there were only 2 very small barnacles on it, which the diver claims were just "flicked off with my finger". I'd coated the shaft and strut too and they're also clean.
I have a zinc saver and it must be working well. The 2 zincs were replaced in November and he could still read the stamped brand/size on one of them.
Hope that helps.

Just googled Barnacle Blocker and it's made by Sea Hawk and is a zinc free coating. The Pettit product is Barnacle Barrier and is pretty much 100% zinc. Could you confirm that it's the Pettit product your using and not the Sea Hawk one.
Interestingly it's possible to get basic zinc aerosol paint at the hardware store for much less than the marine product. I wonder if this is one of those times where "Marine" is added to the title and the price doubles.
CGirvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 10:09   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGirvan View Post
Interestingly it's possible to get basic zinc aerosol paint at the hardware store for much less than the marine product. I wonder if this is one of those times where "Marine" is added to the title and the price doubles.

My prop was painted with the Petit product for its first time last haul out, before that it was just bare metal.
I’ve not seen much difference, maybe the barnacles come off easier, maybe.
What I had been doing when it was bare metal was scraping and applying a lanolin grease product that definitely made the barnacles easy to scrape off, but was a greasy mess to apply underwater.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 10:13   #14

My mistake. It's the Petit product.

Tags
paint