Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 16-02-2008, 07:17   #211

MY FINAL PIC AUTOPROP READY FOR CHECK

Dear sailors

After one month of works ready for seatrials

Jose
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	completed pro1view.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	351.7 KB
ID:	2713  
jose r vigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2008, 07:31   #212

Dear yachts66

Yachts 66

Fist I would like to thank you as it seems you have started this thread,

as know I have had a nightmare that started with AB marine the US rep of AUTOPROP misleading me enough to trash 10,000 USD in doing absurd things.

Later I had to invest 500 USD in books because nobody seems to know what was next.

Finally I have designed the solution and I have spent one year to find a yard professional enough to understand my project and follow my guides.

The yard bill was 25000 EUROS to refit "bumper to bumper" a poorly designed shaft of my HANSE 531.

The first trial was positive but very short as we have had a problem with the new aquadrive due to a washer misplacement probably.

I can offer you my seatrials to be performed soon.

But I cant say you are not getting a blade sinking in the sea.

My experience

In my opinion feathering or folding props are essential on a modern cruiser.

Dont ever think to buy a GORI prop. My opinion was expressed in the AUTOPROP thread and in my own thread ¨refitting shaft......

I dont like MAXprop. Blades are flat and prone to cavitation.

I have never tried FLEX O FOLD but that is my next buy if I cant put the AUTOPROP back to work.

With thanks

jose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachts66 View Post
I'm surely in no position to defend anyone, and don't intend to....but it was explained earlier the problem of the blades falling off was one of poor maintenance, was it not? It seems unfair to me to blame a manufacturers product when the owner has failed to follow the maintenance procedures published by the manufacturer, don't you think?

I have no interest in Autoprop, don't work for them and don't own one, but I'm considering re-proping my boat and have followed this link closely as I've narrowed my search down to the Autoprop and the Maxiprop. If there is a better alternative, I'd sure like to hear about it.

Regards,

TJ
Old 16-02-2008, 12:16   #213
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Jose, can you take one more phot please, standing further back so I can see the relationship of size of prop and hull. The close up shots make that prop seem huge and "ship like".

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2008, 13:09   #214

AUTOPROP SIZE

Hello Allan

I have checked my pics. Yes you are right they are close pics to check details but gear look out of proportion.

I have had a bad time trying to cut the size of the pics to the 1600 max size allowed by the site without losing detail. croping make shots apear closer.

The boat is in the water so I can not take more pics.

The prop is the original AUTOPROP H 540 i.e, that is milimiters. That is slightly larger than 21 inch Diameter. I didnt ship back the AUTOPROP to BRUNTONS before a second chance although I have got an authorization return by Engineer Dave at BRUNTONS UK.

The size was recommended by AB the US rep , I have found the size to be OK per my reading of the Propeller handbook by Dave Gerr.

The Gori prop I brought under Gori recommendations is undersized IMHO. That is one of the reasons I cant reach hull speed.

Some funny happened going aft med style while berthing nearby the yard, yesterday evenuning. I use to stop the boat with a short burst ahead. the prop was so fast and powerful in the burst ahead the boat went out of the berth!. So i have to repeat the manouver again. With the GORI I need to put full ahead to stop the boat. With the AUTOPROP I will have to train again.

I´m enclosing some pics where you can compare size with the SSB porous plate and a Mcduffin round zinc.

Thanks for your interest.

You opinions are always welcomed

Jose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
Jose, can you take one more phot please, standing further back so I can see the relationship of size of prop and hull. The close up shots make that prop seem huge and "ship like".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	prop faraway.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	2715   Click image for larger version

Name:	more shots.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	282.5 KB
ID:	2716  

Old 16-02-2008, 13:16   #215

Dear Allan

I ´ve forgot to say I have e mailed Dave at Bruntons UK with a couple of pics and invite him to see the other pics and explantions in this forum.

I dont know if will keep the AUTOPROP as that depends on an extensive seatrial after the missing or misplaced washer of the AQUADRIVE problem is fixed so we can make a real check.

I have a positive feeling anyhow.

Jose
Old 16-02-2008, 15:57   #216

TJ,

Not sure if you want to hear this? Last summer in the Sea of Cortez, we saw 2 boats loose their Autoprop. In both cases it was due to loosing a blade. In both cases, the replacement meant sending the remaining prop back to Europe for a new blade and balancing. Read that as HIGH$$$$.

Greg
Delezynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2008, 16:15   #217

hummmmm

Dear Cruiser

Thanks for your feedback

i have read similar stories in this site.

Not sure if it is a maintenace issue or a defective design.

I will ask for BRUNTONS before deciding to hold that prop,

thanks agin

Jose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delezynski View Post
TJ,

Not sure if you want to hear this? Last summer in the Sea of Cortez, we saw 2 boats loose their Autoprop. In both cases it was due to loosing a blade. In both cases, the replacement meant sending the remaining prop back to Europe for a new blade and balancing. Read that as HIGH$$$$.

Greg
Old 10-03-2008, 14:53   #218

Boat: Hunter 40.5 and C+C36
Autoprop

I changed from a 2 B Martec folding prop to a 3B Autoprop. The big problem with the Autoprop was that a blade fell off. I hit nothing. The Autopriop was used and seemed OK. The cost of repair is over $2000! I have asked Bruntons for the cost of a 2B Autoprop hub. I have not received a reply since October.
I don't want to spend $200 for repair because the prop had too high a pitch even though the Autoprop web site specified it. Furthermore it was not quieter than the 2B and it fouled more easily. Reverse was good.
I am now looking for a feathering 3B. Anyone have any feedback on the Autostream? I like the ability to adjust pitch underwater.
j.g.evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 15:05   #219
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.g.evans View Post
I changed from a 2 B Martec folding prop to a 3B Autoprop. The big problem with the Autoprop was that a blade fell off. I hit nothing. The Autopriop was used and seemed OK. The cost of repair is over $2000! I have asked Bruntons for the cost of a 2B Autoprop hub. I have not received a reply since October.
Another lost Autoprop blade? What a surprise. Still some here that vigorously defend this prop, too. Friggin' ponderous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.g.evans View Post
I am now looking for a feathering 3B. Anyone have any feedback on the Autostream? I like the ability to adjust pitch underwater.
Autostream is a good prop but nothing is easier to adjust underwater than a Max Prop VP 3-blade feathering prop.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 15:10   #220

Boat: Westsail - CC - 42
Call them

I had almost the best response by calling them in England. Yes expensive but then I felt I got a much better response. Seems that in the 21st century they still haven't gotten the hang of email....except when they want your money.

Was there anything in the hub that showed damage?

I felt like I was really overproped too. You can see my logs of dealing with them in this thread.

Good luck !
dkall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 16:58   #221

There is no damage to the hub. I have not removed the other 2 blades to see if something is amiss.
Old 08-04-2008, 14:37   #222

database

anybody else notice the Autoprop website contains a searchable database for prop recommendations..........with only one boat and engine listed?
my1972ih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 13:23   #223

Quote:
Originally Posted by my1972ih View Post
anybody else notice the Autoprop website contains a searchable database for prop recommendations..........with only one boat and engine listed?
When I bought my Autoprop there was a suggestion for my engine and for similar boats. I don't think either was good. I have not been at the site lately. Autoprop should give an equivalent pitch for their propellers so you can check on the match. My prop had 2" too much pitch.
I was surprise at finding a linear boat speed versus engine RPM relationship just like my folding prop. I expected more boat speed at lower RPM.
I still have not heard from Autoprop about putting my 2 remaining blades on a 2 blade hub. Some customer support.
Old 25-04-2008, 10:59   #224

Boat: Catalina C-42
FWIW, There was a recall by Brunton's for Autoprops made between certain years. The recall was to modify the prop fix the possibility of a blade being thrown. The communication from Brunton's was to the original purchaser of the prop. My prop was one of the recalled props. It was shipped to Brunton's, modified, and returned to me over about a 3 week period back in late 2002 or early 2003. The prop was shipped and returned via Fedex at their cost.

Wonder how many thrown blades as reported on this thread are in non-modified props? Manufacturers do have a tough time getting in touch with 2nd, 3rd, and maybe even 4th owners of boats.

I have an H6 autoprop on my boat. No problems in the 6 years I've owned the boat, no vibration, and I motor at the same speed as my friend in a sistership with a flex-o-fold at 300 less RPM. I get zincs at KKMI here in SF Bay. I've also ordered them from Boatzincs.com.
rodney_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2008, 02:58   #225
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodney_k View Post
FWIW, There was a recall by Brunton's for Autoprops made between certain years...
Follows the text of Brunton’s Propellers 2002 recall letter:

<quote> "The recall is necessary because of a small number of instances where, through lack of maintenance or poor assembly, blades on early propellers have become loose. Premature wear to the blade mechanism may, in an exceptional circumstance, result in the blade working loose. Using the Autoprop under such conditions over long periods of time may lead to potential breakdown of the locking washer securing the blade to the hub. This situation will only occur on certain size Autoprops with a serial number between AP2902 and AP5299, purchased between 9/9/98 and 1/1/02.

"Please check whether your Autoprop falls within this range. The number appears on the palm of the blade. If it does, contact your local dealer or the autoprop office in England. We can confirm whether your Autoprop is affected or not.

"As part of our ongoing product development plan, to enhance performance and ease maintenance, a new blade locking mechanism has been introduced. This mechanism is now being fitted to all roller bearing style Autoprops.

"Brunton's Propellers intends to take the following steps to address this situation:

1. Modification of the bearing retaining and locking mechanism. 2. Free upgrade to new style locking mechanism for all Autoprop user covered under our warranty policy. 3. New generation lip seal fitted free of charge with all upgrades. 4. Worldwide support network of dealers and service agents for local assistance and advice.

"We appreciate the difficulty in assessing this situation, particularly if your yacht is afloat. If your Autoprop does need technical attention related to this recall, we will endeavour to make arrangements to upgrade it with minimum disruption to your sailing schedule."

If you would like further clarification, or to talk about how any of the above points may affect you, please contact our head office on 44(0) 1225 427511, service@bruntons.com, or your local Autoprop dealer.

Yours sincerely,

David Sheppard
Products Manager" <end quote>

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote