Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2009, 15:48   #121

regarding copper coating a bronze prop.... doesnt a bronze prop already have a higher copper content than bottom paint?
I once had a fixed 3 blade coated with aircraft teflon coating (used in the sliding anti icing componants of the wing) just like the frying pan stuff but tan in color. It worked pretty good for 6 months then I sold the boat... was coming off on the tips though...
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 23:38   #122

Boat: Lotus 10.6
boat has just been hauled and not too bad a growth using the lanocate.
Have cleaned the prop up and forked out $100 for the prop speed. Be interesting to see how that goes.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:37   #123

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser
just had 2x 12" props, shafts & P bracket done with propspeed $290.00

checked about the yard & results seemed good.

Bill
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:49   #124

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
- - Because it is expensive, wears off and sets up a wonderful battery condition to the other parts of your engine system. You might want to isolate your prop shaft from the engine with a "drivesaver" Drivesaver Marine Couplers
- - I have heard good results from folks with the hyper expensive "Prop-speed" paint system. But I have tried everything but that and nothing has worked except totally polluted harbors like Chagaraumas Bay when nothing can live in those waters.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 07:54   #125

Boat: Albin 27 Donna Lynne
If I'm going to be anchored for over a week or so, I dive down and tie a plastic garbage bag over the prop. When I take it off, the prop is clean. It's a lot quicker and easier than scraping.
Hzale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 08:40   #126

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hzale View Post
If I'm going to be anchored for over a week or so, I dive down and tie a plastic garbage bag over the prop. When I take it off, the prop is clean. It's a lot quicker and easier than scraping.
I have done the same for many years - works particularly well for folding/feathering props...

Sailndive
Sailndive345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 09:40   #127

Boat: csy 37
that magic marker stuff appears to have worked - at least for the past four months.

i live in an area where barnacles on props are a serious problem - east central florida. i used to dive on the prop once a month, as do most other boat owners around here. when i did the bottom four months ago i decided to try that magic marker stuff.

i used a 'sharpie magnum' black marker. one for each of the three blades on a 17x12 bronze prop. the boat has been in the water for four months now and i've only had to scrape four barnacles off it.

like the man who jumped off the empire state building said as he passed the 86th floor, 'so far, so good'......
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 09:45   #128

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
anybody had their prop coated with teflon...Yeah I nonw your bacon does not stick to it now because you do not cook on your prop, but I heard of coating with teflon somewhere and upon running it just slings barnicales off.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 15:40   #129

Boat: GibSea 472
Hzale
, your trick is very smart, and original in my opinion. A question though: If you need to depart in a hurry, or forget the plastic bag while starting to move what would happen?
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 16:20   #130

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elie View Post
Hzale
, your trick is very smart, and original in my opinion. A question though: If you need to depart in a hurry, or forget the plastic bag while starting to move what would happen?
I do the same thing particularly when we're not cruising. I always put a piece of tape over the ignition switches and write "bags" on the tapes so I don't try to start engine without the bags coming off.

I tried a new trick this year that works well. I have saildrives with folding props and if I use 2 plastic sandbags, I can cover the prop and saildrive at the same time. When I want to use the boat, it's much quicker to take off the bags than scrape 2 props and 2 saildrives.
Old 18-10-2009, 16:30   #131

Boat: Portobello - a Walter Knoop designed "DOVEN 30"
For what it is worth - I was involved in the selling of a Hartley 32 RORC that had been untouched in the water for 3 years. (Owner bought a bigger boat and headed out into the Pacific) The growth was phenomenal - weed, mussels, barnacles - you name it. The prop had been heated at the last slipping and plain lanolin grease (from the chemist) applied. When I slipped the boat there was no, repeat no, growth on the prop at all. I was very impressed. I do the same to my prop now - I don't get growth - but then I slip twice a year once to antifoul - once to scrub.
Old 19-10-2009, 09:10   #132

I like that bag trick! I once had a fixed 3 blade coated with teflon (left over aerospace variety teflon) Unfortunatly it didnt get a real good test as I was in the PacNW, which is pretty barnakle neutral. I noticed the teflon disappeared from the outer edge 3/8" of the blades due to cavitation no doubt. I tried rubbing lanolin on my Catamaran props in Trinidad. It seemed to work as well as bottom paint does. I sprayed a whole can of silicone spray on a prop once also, it seemed to work about as well as bottom paint also.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2009, 04:43   #133

Boat: Beneteau First 38
Post I have to try the Egg White!

The YOT is on the hard now getting a new bottom. I applied bottom paint on last haul 5 years ago and prop wasn't to bad, but I generally give it quick scrub a couple of times a month.

I've removed all the paint from the bronze prop an will coat it with egg whites and report back.

It has to be done!

Cheers
I'm fighting currents to get back to you, listening to the flow of your liquid language as you beckon me, "Come Play"
Mariners Cove, CI. Anonymous.
Caribsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2009, 09:01   #134

we recommend you and the cost is very fair PropArmor is a new foul release product for propellers and more., we are selling this in panama with very good results from our customers.
Alejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2009, 10:30   #135

Boat: Columbia 27
Egg white is also a "fowl" release product.....cheeper too!
Monka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anti-fouling