Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2020, 14:42   #1

Anti-fouling for prop and bow thruster

I am using copper based antifouling on my hull, obviously it doesn't work on prop.
I read there are silicon based coating like Propspeed and ceramic based like Glidecoat.
Does anyone have any experience with the type of product and if it work as well?
Wckoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2020, 15:59   #2

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran
Re: Anti-fouling for prop and bow thruster

we use propspeed

works ok...not great, but better than the alternatives

cheers,
Old 13-09-2020, 16:18   #3

A search should turn up plenty of previous threads on this topic.

I have used propspeed but results didn’t warrant $500.00CDN cost. Am currently using Petit Barnacle Buster spray paint. About $40.00

Somewhere I read that coatings like Propspeed work by creating a very hard slick surface that barnacles can’t adhere strongly to and in theory get sloughed off when the motor is run at high rpm. In practice though, if you only run the engine once a week or less, and it is a slow rpm sailboat auxiliary, the barnacles get a good enough grip that they don’t come off and you have wasted your money. OTOH, if you use the engine daily and at high revs, it will work great. I don’t know how much truth there is to this theory, but I am saving my money for now.
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2020, 16:23   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by osprey877 View Post

I have used propspeed but results didn’t warrant $500.00CDN cost. Am currently using Petit Barnacle Buster spray paint. About $40.00

Somewhere I read that coatings like Propspeed work by creating a very hard slick surface that barnacles can’t adhere strongly to and in theory get sloughed off when the motor is run at high rpm. In practice though, if you only run the engine once a week or less, and it is a slow rpm sailboat auxiliary, the barnacles get a good enough grip that they don’t come off and you have wasted your money. OTOH, if you use the engine daily and at high revs, it will work great. I don’t know how much truth there is to this theory, but I am saving my money for now.
Yeah, I can't say I can run engine every single week though, I will look at the Petit spray.

How about Glidecoat for those who have experience using?
Old 13-09-2020, 16:40   #5

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Have used Rustoleum "cold-galvanizing" (zinc-rich) paint for years, mostly in the warmer climates of Mexico and the Sea of Cortez. I find it easily lasts a good year with little to no hard growth, a second year of some easily dislodged small hard stuff. The third year (when I haul for new bottom paint) its pretty gone. Either I or a diver clean the bottom every other month during the season (Oct-may/June), and occasionally during summer.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2020, 17:37   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:

Re Propspeed (and its imitators):

They do NOT "create a very hard slick surface". Rather it is a soft and rubbery surface, and in practice barnies don't stick well to the product. If the prop is not turned for a while, they may in fact stick well enough to not be dislodged from regular motoring, but will wipe off with your hand or a sponge.

We have used such products for a couple of decades or so and find it to be effective for around two years, after which the surface looses its "rubbery" nature and things will stick as to an unprotected prop.

And 500 bucks, Canadian or otherwise, seems wildly overpriced unless you have a tugboat-sized prop. Enough material for a typical yacht prop can be had here in (expensive) Oz for around 30 AUD, and DIY application is easy.

Jim
Old 13-09-2020, 20:03   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

And 500 bucks, Canadian or otherwise, seems wildly overpriced unless you have a tugboat-sized prop. Enough material for a typical yacht prop can be had here in (expensive) Oz for around 30 AUD, and DIY application is easy.

Jim
Defender.com sells 200 ml kit for $215US plus shipping. $326US plus shipping for 500 ml. , which is what you need for shaft and three bladed prop. Does not ship to Canada because I think the primer or catalyst is prohibited ( we can’t buy interlux two part paint either). Propspeed recommends “professional applicators” only on their website. The yard where my boat was hauled quoted me $500CDN this spring for them to apply it. Few people use it here because of the price. At $30AUD I would certainly use it. 😀😀
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2020, 20:26   #8

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Defender.com sells 200 ml kit for $215US plus shipping. $326US plus shipping for 500 ml. , which is what you need for shaft and three bladed prop. Does not ship to Canada because I think the primer or catalyst is prohibited ( we can’t buy interlux two part paint either). Propspeed recommends “professional applicators” only on their website. The yard where my boat was hauled quoted me $500CDN this spring for them to apply it. Few people use it here because of the price. At $30AUD I would certainly use it. 😀😀
Yep - that was how much we paid for prop speed - its very expensive.

We ended up going with what works for us after that waste of money.... a bunch of layers of zinc spray and then apply a copper-free hydrocoat eco or Ultima Eco. We lose paint at the tips of the blades but the rest of the paint stays intact for two seasons.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2020, 20:58   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Defender.com sells 200 ml kit for $215US plus shipping. $326US plus shipping for 500 ml. , which is what you need for shaft and three bladed prop.
Dunno why you think you need a half liter of propspeed for a yacht sized thee blade prop. That's a bit silly...

How we do it: Local yard buys a large kit (not sure of exact contents) which the painter says is enough for about ten typical props. Costs him 300 AUD. He's willing to pour enough for my prop (17 inch Flex-o-fold three blade) into three small jars that I supply... one each for primer, hardener and the silicone goo. I've never measured the volumes involved, but estimate about 20-30 ml of primer and goo, less of hardener. Charges me 300/10=30 AUD. With some effort

Application only by pros? Ridiculous! If you can follow simple written instructions there is no problem. For reading impaired folks there are several detailed videos covering the process. It ain't rocket science, just cleanliness and timing.

But if you don't want to go to this much effort, it's ok by me. I've found it worthwhile.

Jim

PS I've tried it on my shaft and strut, but it isn't particularly effective there. I think that it needs the higher surface velocities of the prop to self-clean much. Barnies are easy to pop off t he shaft, but do seem to grow on it.
Old 13-09-2020, 21:20   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Re Propspeed (and its imitators):
We have used such products for a couple of decades or so and find it to be effective for around two years, after which the surface looses its "rubbery" nature and things will stick as to an unprotected prop.
About 3 years is good enough, it is about the lifespan of my antifouling as well, can do it altogether once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Yep - that was how much we paid for prop speed - its very expensive.

We ended up going with what works for us after that waste of money.... a bunch of layers of zinc spray and then apply a copper-free hydrocoat eco or Ultima Eco. We lose paint at the tips of the blades but the rest of the paint stays intact for two seasons.
How long does zinc spray like Petit or what you use last though?
Old 14-09-2020, 02:12   #11

Boat: Volkscruiser

Bloody hell Jim you better post this legends name. I am in the industry and the best price I get is $150 for my prop and shaft.
Propspeed works for us.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 09:43   #12

Boat: Robertson & Caine Leopard 40

I had used prop speed on my 1979 Post sport fish and found it was expensive and did not last more than maybe 6 months.

Now we own a 40ft leopard catamaran. We run the 2 Yanmars with folding props about 150 hours per year here in south Florida so much less

I switched to using rustoleum galvanized spray paint on the saildrive and props. Then I cover that with surf board wax (sex wax) and then I cover that with a nice coat of lanolin grease

Seems to last just as long and after a few months I can dive the boat and just reapply the sex wax

Much cheaper and probably better for the environment.
cat-keys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 10:28   #13

I use this for the past couple years. Have to scrape in the 3rd year. Not bad for around $30.
https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=157662

Good luck.

Ed
Old 14-09-2020, 10:42   #14

Boat: Morgan 34

I've had great results using Lano-cote on the bare prop. I warm the prop with a small torch and rub on a thick coat. After 4 months in south Florida and 2 months in the Bahamas there was still a bit of lanolin on the prop and no barnies. And they say you can re-apply while it's in the water if you need to, although I bet it's tricky keeping the torch lit. The old timers in Chesapeake Bay used to use STP with great success back when nobody gave a darn about pollution.
chriswheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 10:42   #15

Boat: Beneteau 423

Put PropSpeed on our Beneteau 423 last November. This year we haven't moved from the marina much as is to be expected. So far all I do it wipe off the bio growth, no barnacles as yet.
wfetter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anti-fouling