Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2014, 13:59   #1

Undocument

We purchased a 45 hunter at an auction, we received all the paperwork and it is a documented boat. We were going to document it again but found out the state we live in requires the boat to be registered even though it's documented. So we decided to just register the boat and get rid of the documentation. I can't seem to find a form to send in. Has anyone undocumented their boat? I guess we can't register it until we undocument it.
Thanks for your help!
tinamaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 14:06   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: undocument

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinamaher View Post
We purchased a 45 hunter at an auction, we received all the paperwork and it is a documented boat. We were going to document it again but found out the state we live in requires the boat to be registered even though it's documented. So we decided to just register the boat and get rid of the documentation. I can't seem to find a form to send in. Has anyone undocumented their boat? I guess we can't register it until we undocument it.
Thanks for your help!
I'm pretty sure all that it takes is to NOT send in the renewal.

And registration and documentation have nothing to do with each other.
Old 03-03-2014, 14:12   #3

We were told we need to undocument the boat so we can get our title. Some states you don't have to register the boat if it's documented but not in RI
Old 03-03-2014, 14:49   #4

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27
Re: Undocument

Documentation is good to have if you want to do international travel, whether to Canada or Bahamas. It can be used in place of a state issued title. Many states still require registration for Documented boats but mostly just a registration sticker is needed and not the numbers on the bow of the boat. From what I've read, state registration is a way for the authorities to make sure relevant taxes have been paid and current.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 14:53   #5

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Tina

The USCG does want to be notified when a Documented Vessel changes hands.

Technically the boats previous owner should have filed the paperwork with the USCG, indicating that they sold the vessel using the USCG Billing of Sale (Form CG-1340), either the owner of the auction house, if it was repossessed.

You would then re-apply for documentation in your name on a USCG Form (CG-1258)

Since you purchased the boat at auction, I would guess you do not have a lien on the vessel. Many banks will require USCG Documentation over State Registration to secure the loan. Basically it makes it easier for the Bank to track and repossess the vessel., especially if it is out of country.

If you are considering traveling outside the USA with the boat, I would highly recommend Documenting it with the USCG, which currently is a one time fee and free renewals, although that may change soon. Foreign Ports recognize USCG paperwork, but may not recognize State Registration forms.

Here is a link to the USCG Vessel Documentation Center's FAQ page, which should answer any further questions.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 15:41   #6

Boat: Krogen 58' Xiao Xiu
Send a message via MSN to JayCall

Tina-to "undocument" a vessel, you need you obtain a "Letter of Deletion" from the USCG. the first thing you have to show is that that there are no encumbrances, i.e. mortgages, against the vessel.

You can find the info (and contact info) here:

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/eg5/nvdc

That should give you all the info you need and they are pretty helpful either via phone or email.

Good Luck!
JayCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:18   #7

Thank you everyone for all the info. I will call uscg today.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:26   #8

Boat: Morgan 383

USCG documentation provides universal proof of ownership and I think represents value to both the owner and prospective new owner. I suspect it is a PITA to get a boat documented. I recommend keeping up the documentation. If your state requires registration, do that too.
I wonder if the state rules really trump the federal documentation. I do believe it's about sales tax collection.
Please, please don't start banging on about states' rights vs federalism. Not my intent to open that subject.
Dale Hedtke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:09   #9

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

Quote:
We were told we need to undocument the boat so we can get our title. Some states you don't have to register the boat if it's documented but not in RI
I live in RI, my boat is documented and I have an RI sticker. Documented vessels do not get registration numbers, but in RI (and several other states) you still have to pay for a sticker. I don't have a Rhode Island title for my boat, because I have the USCG documentation, which is the title, and is a far better quality title than the state title anyway.

There is no state sales tax issue in RI, as they don't charge sales tax for boats. They definitely want the sticker fee, though!
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:31   #10

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Thank you everyone for all the info. I will call uscg today.
What was the USCG's answer???

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men