Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2011, 10:15   #1

Boat: 1973 Hughes 25
Send a message via Yahoo to nosinglesource Send a message via Skype™ to nosinglesource
Possibly Having My Skipper's Ticket Paid For ...

So...I'll be leaving government service sometime in the coming year or so and, if I can come up with a plan, the reasons for, etc, I may be able to get my Skipper's ticket paid for on the government dime. Only thing is, they want to see "return" for their investment, which means proof that I can use that training to make at least 60-80% of my pre-'retirement' income.

I'm not sure how to go about proving that, but that's another kettle of fish, I suppose.

I'm near to Ottawa, Ontario...would anyone have any recommendations as to schools or courses that could train me from a flat-out landlubber to getting certification that would qualify me to, say, deliver yachts coastally (I wasn't sure if "coastally" was a word, but it must be now because I used it! )? If I can find businesses where Captains are hired to do just that, and give the gov't a dollar amount these folks tend to be paid, this may help my argument. I'm imagining that, at some point during my training, the St. Lawrence will no longer suffice and I'll likely end up having to take the show to one coast or another, although I have no experience to back that up with.

Thank you for entertaining my n00b-ness..

Cindi
nosinglesource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 10:41   #2

Re: Possibly having my Skipper's ticket paid for...

Cindi:

Here in the states there is no licensing requirement to deliver yachts. The only reason you need a master's license (commonly although incorrectly referred to as a "captain's license") is to carry passengers. It will be restricted to whatever tonnage and distance from shore you have experience on.

That being said, it's a lot easier to be taken seriously as a yacht delivery captain if you have your master's license and in general if you plan on making a living on the water you'll need it the first time you apply for a job running even a small water taxi.

I'm not at all familiar with the Canadian merchant marine system; all of my knowledge is towards US and to some extent international context (such as STCW).

You may want to look up some options that are available to you; I did some googling around and found this. From there, start talking to some folks over the phone.

Training of Seafarers - Transport Canada
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote