Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2009, 06:16   #16

Hey guys One thing I liked about being skiper (sailing instructor)was to yell a them
and that yell was such a yell taht the one they show in the army yell is short from the real thing and to OUR ! amezement @#$%^&* this thing proved to work i dont know how and so but it actualy came out sweet :-) (swell?) they all pased their exam (costal skiper) ( never good at navigation)- I was just a vesel that caried the transmision of intuitional sensing of the moment that is one of the only moments that is the right moment to make the manouver to moor aproach the buy and so
Clear ether
lokas0506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 18:21   #17

Boat: Irwin Citation 34 - Mystery
I figure that they are either crew, movable ballast or deck fluff. And all have there place.
RikHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 05:53   #18

Still to forget the thrill of high seas is imposible and you (once sailed) once tasted the bread of deep sea voyage the miracle of visiting new ports ........ want to come back
lokas0506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 06:22   #19

Boat: a sailing boat
Aggression solves nothing. It is not the way to go. Just think of it - if you get 'more' aggressive - will it likely lead to what you want to achieve?

Try these -
1) (have the crew) sail towards marks on a small course (like the olympic triangle, etc.),
2) put your crew in a Laser and sail alongside tutoring them (they will see the immediate differences in boat's speed),
3) since 1) above only temporarily patches the real issue (sailing in the grove of the apparent wind, with correctly trimmed sails to achieve best speed/heading) you may consider trying to give each crew the job slot that they are best at right now, then temporarily swap the tasks (including yours) so that the other crew understand the limitations (like not being able to take in the main fast enough when jibing, etc.).

Exercise, improvise, improve. It will work in the end.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 08:20   #20
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
there are many different kinds of individuals and many different styles of learning. the ones who learned in dinks do not always have the best handle on the keel boats---i learned in gaff rigging on a 1903 racing sloop---built by herreschoff yard and is national historic treasure--i feel the ones who learned in dinks with all the yelling being done at them donot have the ability to FEEL the boat as well as those who apprenticed to tallshipmen and sailed REAL sailboats of yore---so who is right and who is wrong?? no one is right no one is wrong--it all depends on the individual who does the learning. it also depends on the skipper of the boat----and the situations under which one sails--is possible to understand wind and currents and not understand sailing--i have been in those situations--also the opposite is true....btdt also----if someone ENJOYS the feel of the boat , that one will understand the feel of boats despite having been deprived of the joys of getting wet instead of sailing. we SAILED....the tallshipman who taught us was awesome and sooooo much a part of the sea..i am sooo fortunate to have been able to have learned sailing from the likes of him----to be able to feel the wind and the water and how they move and where the boat is in relation to those factors--and to see what is coming and react to it before it hits is an individual thing--not all sailors have that understanding of their surroundings----gotta have some flexibility when having others on board---those others do not have the same sensations as do you-----not all sailors race---many despise racing--is an oxymoronic behaviour-----sailing is not a stressfull place unless one practices racing sailing---is a relaxing method of being at one with sea and air....so the course is off a bit--are you having fun?? are you enjoying the environment?? why are you in a hurry?? sailing is not for those in a hurry!!!!!
sit back and enjoy the stuff around you and donot worry about the +-20 of the wind factor----is just a daysail anyway!!!!--you can always practice the tightass parts of the racing stuff whenye are solo!! let your guests have a relaxing moment--unless they get into a tight spot and you and boat are in trouble--what is the hurry!!???
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 09:09   #21
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
There's no way an inexperienced sailor is quickly going to develop feel on a keelboat boat with five tons of balast, especially if they haven't got a clue what the wind's doing. I give newbies a compass heading and ask them to steer that course. Get fewer "snake wakes" that way. Biggest thing to teach them on my boat is to sit on the windward side, grasp the wheel with two fingers, and make very small corrections to keep her on course. Turn the wheel three inches, and wait for the boat to respond. They all want to stand directly behind the wheel, of course, but I tell them that they're no good to me back there.