Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2018, 13:20   #1

Learning to Sail - Greece vs. Gibraltar vs. Britain

I am a solo traveller looking to learn how to sail. I've decided on taking a Competent Crew Practical, a Day Skipper Theory course, and a Day Skipper practical. I am looking to take this courses in late August and early September.

Right now, I am looking at a variety of locations including the Ionian Sea based out of Greece, Gibraltar, or somewhere in Great Britain. Are there particular recommendations for which might be the best learning opportunity?

I think Greece would be really enjoyable but am a little worried about a lack of tidal experience.

From what I've seen, prices for this grouping of courses run anywhere from 1,500 to 2,100. Are these the sort of prices I should expect?

Thoughts? Suggestions or Recommendations?

Thanks so much!
NCSailStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 06:53   #2

Re: Learning to Sail - Greece vs. Gibraltar vs. Britain

I can not comment on Greece, I did a number of courses in the UK and Gibraltar. Some schools had been excellent others not so good and one was very poor.

I did my Coastal Skipper in Gibraltar and found the location was interesting and despite sailing in stormy conditions I did not find it as challenging as the UK. I did enjoy myself a lot.

But, I did find that I learnt so much more doing courses in the UK if you can try and do courses in as many different locations as possible rather than the same location as it will prepare you more when you are sailing/crewing on your own.

http://snappdragon23.blogspot.co.uk
ianmkent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Gibraltar, Greece, learning, sail