Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2016, 11:46   #31

Boat: Allied Princess 36
Re: How necessary is ASA

Regarding the International Proficiency Certificate (which I applied for after completing all the ASA courses up to Coastal Navigation), the place we were chartering a 42 footer from in Greece wanted to see the paper BEFORE they would book us. I had to email a copy to them beforehand. This is the only place I've used it. There were no questions about sea time or experience...all they wanted to see was the paper.
Old 03-08-2016, 15:11   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailingketch View Post
Regarding the International Proficiency Certificate (which I applied for after completing all the ASA courses up to Coastal Navigation), the place we were chartering a 42 footer from in Greece wanted to see the paper BEFORE they would book us. I had to email a copy to them beforehand. This is the only place I've used it. There were no questions about sea time or experience...all they wanted to see was the paper.
Exactly...I don't know why anybody would try to discourage a person from obtaining an IPC.

There are places one cannot charter without a certificate. And didn't I read that Montenegro requires cruisers to show paper? Maybe there's more. And who's to say that there won't be more countries that may eventually adopt a certificate/license policy.
Old 03-08-2016, 15:24   #33

Boat: Mirage 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearts Content View Post
there are those that need to be led and those that can find their own way.
And there are those who believe that they can advance more quickly by learning from the experience of others. The courses I took (Sail Canada, equivalent to ASA) took me through a lot of practical exercises that I would not necessarily have learned or practiced on my own. But that's the way I learn, not everyone is the same.

So - necessary - no. Useful - for me, yes.
Old 05-10-2016, 22:45   #34

Taken asa 101 and 103. Just need to take the test for 103 now. Planning on taking 104 and 114 combo class. Why take so many classes, cause it's cheap. Comparing the cost to charter to classes is insanely cheap. By taking classes I spent more time on the water. And of course learned a lot.

I would recommend it.
mindwip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 00:27   #35

How does the ICP compare to the ICC which his the govt certificate of competence? One problem Americans have is the USA hasn't got an ICC. As far as I'm aware only the RYA is authorized to issue an ICC to Americans.

Also, it's worth the time to talk to and vet the teacher. We had a miserable SOB who thought he was a salty sailor and almost drove the wife away from sailing by doing stupid things (ie: berating her for calling a fender as a "bumper" and making her hold course 100' from shore when she was clearly getting panicky.). Unfortunately, I get the impression many are part time hobbyists, so it probably varies greatly.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 02:46   #36
Marine Service Provider

In my experience the ICP is recognized as equivalent to the ICC. So for Americans wishing to charter in areas which require the ICC, such as certain areas of the Med, the ICP will work just fine.

As a side note, I just chartered for a week in Greece and they didn't ask me for anything more than my ASA log book. I have my USCG 100 Ton Masters license and had the ICP ready, but once they took a look at my ASA log book they were satisfied. I would not recommend booking an expensive charter and not be ready with either your ICC or ICP. I just found it interesting that they didn't ask for mine.
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 01:37   #37

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingrid75 View Post
I have been cruising full time for 21 years and visited over 40 countries. No one has ever asked to see an ASA certificate. And I doubt that any official, anywhere would have any idea what an ASA certificate was. (Of course I suppose that if you were ever in a really bad storm or dragging onto a lee shore, you could whip out your ASA super-sailor certificate and show it to the ocean and all would be okay again)

Interesting -- we have probably sailed to 35-40 over the past 9 years and have had to show captain papers in Montenegro, (not Croatia as we sailed in from Montenegro and Croatia knew we had been checked - someone behind us had to) Russia, Romania numerous times, one port in Turkey on the Black Sea, Turkish Coast Guard on a sea stop, one or two ports in Greece and I think that is all.
All accepted our ASA book with the stamps.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 16:41   #38

ASA will fill in a lot of gaps and does provide a baseline of knowledge. It's like having a high school diploma or college degree.

There is a great ASA study website where you can review the three primary levels of certification and there are chalk board explanations (videos) and lots of study questions. It will give you a good idea of all the areas of study and you can compare notes.
pacificcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:54   #39

Boat: Between boats--currently shopping

I just finished ASA 101,103, 104 (fast track) with Marina Sailing in Long Beach. Like many here, I have pretty extensive power boat experience and I grew up sailing boats up to 25 feet. I've owned 2 powerboats and 2 sailboats.

I really appreciated my 5 day class. I stayed on the boat (Beneteau 423) and got to experience what it would be like to take my family on an extended sailing vacation. Our instructor shared his experience in a fun but structured environment. I appreciated our hands on work fixing the bilge pump, clearing some jammed lines while sailing, and checking the batteries/motor before setting sail.

We had a minor emergency when the windlass failed and we were pushed toward a lee shore while trying to pull the anchor. We worked as a team, fixed the windlass and stayed safe.

All of these were "real life" events that could easily happen on a bareboat charter.

Finally, I appreciated the excellent boar handling instruction we received. Our teacher gives lectures and classes on tight quarters manuevering all over LA. By the end of the week, all of us had successfully positioned the boat in many tight docking situations. To me, this practice was worth the price of the class itself!

I am PRO ASA!
AZ Parothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 03:08   #40
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Parothead View Post
I just finished ASA 101,103, 104 (fast track) with Marina Sailing in Long Beach. Like many here, I have pretty extensive power boat experience and I grew up sailing boats up to 25 feet. I've owned 2 powerboats and 2 sailboats.

I really appreciated my 5 day class. I stayed on the boat (Beneteau 423) and got to experience what it would be like to take my family on an extended sailing vacation. Our instructor shared his experience in a fun but structured environment. I appreciated our hands on work fixing the bilge pump, clearing some jammed lines while sailing, and checking the batteries/motor before setting sail.

We had a minor emergency when the windlass failed and we were pushed toward a lee shore while trying to pull the anchor. We worked as a team, fixed the windlass and stayed safe.

All of these were "real life" events that could easily happen on a bareboat charter.

Finally, I appreciated the excellent boar handling instruction we received. Our teacher gives lectures and classes on tight quarters manuevering all over LA. By the end of the week, all of us had successfully positioned the boat in many tight docking situations. To me, this practice was worth the price of the class itself!

I am PRO ASA!
Great review of your sailing course! Glad to hear you had such a positive experience with your ASA course and instructor!
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 18:43   #41

ASA Required? No definitely not.
Recommended? Depends on past experience.

I would certainly recommend a practical sailing course of some kind to anyone who has never sailed before.
Other wise I would recommend power squadron with a good book.
Lots of people get by just fine without instruction.

My personal experience was power based to start with. Went on a sail training vessel and caught the bug. "learned" to sail and sailed with others as opportunities came my way along with a couple of charters.
My first formal sailing course was a basic instructor course. Just doing the basic course I learned quite a few things I had missed just picking it up. I learned quite a few more things on both intermediate and advanced courses.
You never stop learning, the advantage of an organised course is the hands on practical experience. The more different boats the better.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa