Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2017, 18:55   #1

Beginners help

Hi I'm josh I've sailed only twice and the first was the beneteu first sail it was like 20 mins in class and about an hour on the water this was down in Annapolis. I got to do various parts. The second time I was at the helm on a forty plus for a few minutes. I love sailing obviously and need any advice I can get. The process of becoming a coast guard liscenced captain seems like a long hard process especially if you aren't connected well. I'd really prefer to get into delivery but here's where the advice comes in. I'd be fine to start out unpaid because I obviously need experience but don't know what to do. I currently live a good distance from any coast (West pa) so I guess I'm asking how to go from where I am to all the different places I could. Advice ver appreciated
mrredhat23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2017, 20:00   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Beginners help

If not too far from Lake Erie, join a sailing club and get as much time on the water as possible. Sailing is the easy part it's also going to take some serious study of marine systems, diesels, electrical and mechanicals before someone trusts you to deliver their boat. Take a look at Marine Survey 101 to see what you are up against.
Old 28-09-2017, 20:21   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

The path you take will depend on a number of factors. A quick easy way is to take classes but that costs money. If that's a problem then the cheaper option is to volunteer as unpaid crew for deliveries, races, whatever. However, the more you can bring to the table the better chance you have of getting a berth.

Since you don't have boating and sailing skills then other skills can help. Can you repaid engines, do electrical work, plumbing, woodwork, refrigeration, cook? Expertise in any of these areas will make you a more desirable crew member. Of course all this will require at some point that you are where the boats are. If you're stuck in PA the options are limited.

If you're really dedicated to this path and can't afford classes then learn on your own. I'm sure your local library has plenty of books on boats, boating, sailing, navigation, repair, etc. If they don't have them almost all libraries can get almost any book through inter-library loans. This is how I learned when I started out. Of course at some point the books and theory need real world practice but if you have a solid foundation in the theory the hands on learning comes much, much faster.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 03:46   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Josh.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 15:14   #5
Marine Service Provider

If you decide to go with the sailing school option - check out our website. We offer American Sailing Association courses in the Caribbean. Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions (Chris@LTDsailing.com).

Beam winds!
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 15:18   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

get some sea miles www.crewseekers.co.uk
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 15:50   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
The path you take will depend on a number of factors. A quick easy way is to take classes but that costs money. If that's a problem then the cheaper option is to volunteer as unpaid crew for deliveries, races, whatever. However, the more you can bring to the table the better chance you have of getting a berth.

Since you don't have boating and sailing skills then other skills can help. Can you repaid engines, do electrical work, plumbing, woodwork, refrigeration, cook? Expertise in any of these areas will make you a more desirable crew member. Of course all this will require at some point that you are where the boats are. If you're stuck in PA the options are limited.

If you're really dedicated to this path and can't afford classes then learn on your own. I'm sure your local library has plenty of books on boats, boating, sailing, navigation, repair, etc. If they don't have them almost all libraries can get almost any book through inter-library loans. This is how I learned when I started out. Of course at some point the books and theory need real world practice but if you have a solid foundation in the theory the hands on learning comes much, much faster.
Thanks for the advice id like to go with the having some useful skills option I am interested in diesel engine and maintenance/repair but I can build sea miles for free if I do d the right opportunity but I don't know how to get diesel experience that would be useful without paying lots of money for schools. So I feel like this is kind of a catch 22. I want the diesel experience but can't affords the schools especially since long term is to sail delivery and the time it would take for diesel training doesn't seem worth it. I dont know what to do here.
Old 01-10-2017, 15:51   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Josh.
Thanks GordMay
Old 01-10-2017, 16:11   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Welcome aboard CF, mrredhat23,

Well, forget the concept that it will be easy. Straight talk coming up. It will take short term goal setting steps to get to the long term goal.

Whatever kind of work it is that you do now, could you do it in any large sailing venue? If so, relocate to where there is water and sailing opportunity. Then you can sail OPBs (Other People's Boats) and learn, and document your sea hours. Or get your own trailer sailer and sail most weekends during the season. Some places, like southern and east coasts of the US, you can sail most of the year, and help other skippers do maintenance during the off season. (for free, but you will learn if you keep an open mind.)

Seek out books for novices. You can read them in your spare time. If any.

You might consider going as unpaid crew on a few deliveries. Be an eager helper to the skipper, and try to bring something extra to the table.

Start getting your financial ducks in order. Pay off your debts. Life is easier when you don't pay 20% interest. Boats are expensive, not only do you have to buy them, but boat bits are expensive, as insurance and berthing.

Ann
Old 01-10-2017, 16:48   #10

Boat: Laguna, windrose 25

mrredhat23 welcome, Ann is right on the money . I am a fair weather trailer sailor here in Michigan. And am learning as I go. also read this forum. A lot of threads are way over my head, but I am starting to pick things up as I go. Good luck, and don't give up.

joel
Joel E Felt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 14:17   #11

Hi, a few ideas on how to get started:

- Learn to sail dinghies (cheap, fun, and you learn a lot about sailing)
- Sailing holidays (not that cheap, but comparable to many people’s holiday budget)
- Sailing courses (a starter investment, but then you will need to carry on and get a lot of experience)
- Volunteer to crew other people’s boats (there are a few websites with crewing opportunities)
- Read good introductory books (and online available tips) on sailing and learn the essentials
- Join a sailing club
- Buy an old boat and get into trouble.

Hope this helps. Enjoy!
Old 15-10-2017, 07:16   #12

Boat: Still looking

Great info on this thread. I am new, too (ditched the idea of a motor yacht for sail).
Carat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2017, 07:31   #13

Boat: Leopard 39

Hi Josh, and welcome to CF. If a delivery business is your dream, a captain's license would a great asset. Getting one requires demonstrated written knowledge and documented practical experience on the water. Boating seasons in the north are abbreviated, and will retard your progress toward your goals. If you're able, relocate to a warmer coastal area, and join a cost-sharing-type sailing club with a fleet of boats. Crewing is a great way to go too. Fair winds, and following seas.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote