Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2016, 00:48   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45
Re: 6-pack sea time questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFS View Post
I'm now working through a very large "do-it-yourself' study book with about 2000 of the USCG's 20,000 questions, and it is kicking my butt. I suppose one difference besides the actual subject matter is my age (57 vs. 25), but this one will be tougher than flying. Hope this helps some.
I was told that each maritime school has a pool of questions that they are approved by the CG to use. It's a subset of the 20,000 questions the CG uses. If you take a course rather than go to a CG testing center you have a somewhat narrower scope of possible questions and therefore a somewhat narrower scope of material to study.
SteveInMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 05:21   #2

Boat: bare boat charter world wide
Re: 6-pack sea time questions

Steve is correct. The reason that I did not mention how much help the prep classes were, that prep schools and instructors might possibly vary across the nation. The course that I attended all those years long ago, was fantastic.

However, with some due dilligence and investigation I would strongly suggest a highly recommended prep class. We had seven instructors in our prep class and every of us one passed and received his USCG license.

In our prep class there was a wide range of applicants, maybe 15. They ranged from the newport beach harbor patrol who were orange county sheriffs, to professional crew on large fishing boats to those who just wanted the license and gain the knowledge acquired in the course.

The written test at the USCG testing facility took me one day for the different separate sections. Some sections required a 90 % to pass, others a 70%. You passed what ever section, or you went home.

I passed them all, and then came back for the navigation section the next day that took me about three hours. You needed a 90% to pass.

After that, right there in the USCG office, I received the license. I still have all of the 5 issues of the different license certificates in my files.

Now, on that first day, lets say that I did not pass the third section. I think there was a total of six sections. You stop, no further testing. You go home and can read up on that particular section, and return the next day or whenever, to continue. If you dont pass that section it on the second attempt, you need more study, and they require 30 days before you can re test.

And you have to re new every five years with documented time or written testing. Today, things may have changed, but that was my experience over a 25 year period.

Obtaining the USCG captains license , for me, was a serious endeavor, and I had the documented sea time.

I turned in a long list of the sail and motor vessels that I sailed , with the name, LOA, CF or documentation numbers, and area of operation including international .

Tip.. When I presented myself before the USCG LT., I was 15 minutes early, well groomed, clean shaven, and dressed nice, but comfortably. All my paperwork was in order. I handed my paper work to the LT. he looked it over, looked me over , and said, " Do you want to go for the 100 ton ? " My answer was " Yes, sir."

I had a military back ground and as a viet nam vet, I was aware of military bearing and promptness, and respect. The USCG is a military service.

Another applicant strolled in late, unshaven, hair not combed and in dirty clothes. The LT. looked at him and his paperwork very briefly, handed it back to him and told him he was late and to call back for another test date.

Lastly, as to testing, I would tell my students as to sailing club exams or or vessel check outs or going up for their USCG license, or anything in life.

Should they not pass, they did not fail.

YOU DO NOT FAIL UNTIL YOU GIVE UP !!!
bvisailing32 is offline   Reply With Quote