Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2016, 09:48   #31

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: V-drive Versus Stern Drive

[QUOTE=Cheechako;2083180]a) the boat the OP is looking at has twin engines. At 30 ft they could even be twin 454's.
b) Hi stated size range is 30 ft. My 32 ft trawler burned 1.25-1.5 gal per hour.
c) Gas wont be cheap for too much longer.
d) That's all I know! [/QUOTE

My father bought one,48 ft., with twin Grays. at 17.5Gal/Hr.. they came out fast in lieu of 671? Gas is great with deep pockets and a bunch of safety.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 11:20   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
a) the boat the OP is looking at has twin engines. At 30 ft they could even be twin 454's.
b) Hi stated size range is 30 ft. My 32 ft trawler burned 1.25-1.5 gal per hour.
c) Gas wont be cheap for too much longer.
d) That's all I know!
I'm very familiar with the boats the OP is looking at. My example was based on a similar boat (silverton not searay) with a pair of V8's. The only way for your example to work is if you compare those 454's firewalled against a single engine trawler limited to 6kts. If you are talking economy, you have to use MPG not GPH as the boats he is looking at will cover 3 times the distance in an hour so to get to the same destination, it's a lot fewer hours.

A single engine trawler will still likely win on fuel economy but not by a lot and you will have a greatly reduced range if you don't have unlimited time. I'm guessing the OP is weekend cruising which means you drop from say a 100 mile weekend radius to a 20-30mile radius.

Sure gas will get more expensive. Lots of people with dire warnings when it was running $4/gal...oddly, I paid less than $2/gal last time I filled up my truck.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 11:36   #33

Boat: Cuddles 30ft Motor Sailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang6 View Post
The boat I am looking at is a Sea Ray 310 /320. I am told that for maneuverability in tight areas like a marina, the V drive is much better than a stern drive, making it more suitable for beginners like myself.
I would question that advice. There is no difference between a shaft drive and a fee drive in manoeuvrability. Both are a little challenging for a beginner in tight situations. Both are fixed props which rely on prop wash over the rudder to manoeuver. Only the gearbox is different.

If easy manoeuvreability in a marina is your only priority, go for a stern drive. (and/or a bow thruster).

But - A shaft drive (straight or vee) will handle just as well, with enough practice.
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote