Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2013, 09:19   #1

Powerboat Cuisers with Kids?

I tried posting this somewhere else with no luck.

Wondering if there are motor cruisers out there with kids? It seems that everyone is on a sailboat. Can you please share the ages of your kids, family and boat size.

We are currently trying to choose a motorboat for our family including 5 kids. trying to see what size others are comfortable in. Thanks.
Old 31-05-2013, 18:40   #2

Re: Powerboat cruisers with kids?

That sucks. I guess there are none.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:38   #3

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Zip response might just be because of the audience here.

There's "Cruising" (long distance passages, etc.) and then there's "cruising" (e.g., occasionally wandering down the Chesapeake to visit a pleasant nearby town... and then returning home after the weekend). Given the membership here -- leaning toward sail and Cruising (the former) -- it might simply be there aren't so many folks on this particular forum who can speak to powerboating, Cruising, and kids in the same sentence.

Doesn't mean there aren't folks out there doing it...

FWIW, we often see boatloads of kids on powerboats that seem to be cruising (the latter) around here. Can't speak to whether they might be liveaboards or not, although I'd usually guess "not."

-Chris
Old 01-06-2013, 05:59   #4

Kids on sailboats have more to do than kids on powerboats (unless they are fishing boats!!). I think that once you get the kids away from the TV/internet/game console they will get bored quite quickly of "being at sea". Add to that most marina environments are not that interesting to kids. Some may have pools. They are usually walking distance (could be a long way!!) to a bar and burger joint. Seems to me that most marinas and places you get to tie up are somewhat the same. Anchoring out is more interesting but you need to bring your own entertainment. Unlike with kids, to adults the "boating experience" is largely about the "doing" not about "are we there yet??".
chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:12   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Don't give up. There are people with powerboats on this forum, many of which have kids.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 20:26   #6

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy
If you have five kids you are going to need at least 3 staterooms and 4 would be minimum in my book. Its not going to be easy to find a powerboat or any boat with 4 staterooms. They will probably be small staterooms too. You will need a large kitchen and adequate refrigeration.
Whether your children will be bored or not depends on their personalities, where you are, and whether you can keep them engaged.
Old 02-06-2013, 21:36   #7

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy
With 5 kids, nothing less than 80 feet.

There is an 80 foot Hatteras on yacht world for $389000. Three staterooms plus crew quarters. Unless you get something oddball like a converted shrimp boat, best to look for an older Hatteras, Burger or Stephens that needs a remodel. You will get a lot of room for your money and the old boats are built solid. Just avoid ones with major issues
Old 04-06-2013, 19:35   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohenyboy View Post
With 5 kids, nothing less than 80 feet.

There is an 80 foot Hatteras on yacht world for $389000. Three staterooms plus crew quarters. Unless you get something oddball like a converted shrimp boat, best to look for an older Hatteras, Burger or Stephens that needs a remodel. You will get a lot of room for your money and the old boats are built solid. Just avoid ones with major issues
80' might be a little long. Trying to keep it under 70', but preferably 60-65'. Your right, 4 staterooms would be ideal, that's what I'm shooting for.
Old 04-06-2013, 19:37   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Don't give up. There are people with powerboats on this forum, many of which have kids.
okeedokee, I wonder where they are hiding?
Old 05-06-2013, 16:07   #10

Boat: 1965 TollyCraft Voyager

My wife and I use our boat each weekend from May thru October on Puget Sound. Last June we welcomed a baby girl who just celebrated her 1st birthday upon our 28' 1965 TollyCraft Voyager. We indeed cruise each weekend, and either anchor out, grab a mooring buoy at a State Park, grab space at a State Park Dock, or if we head north to Seattle, we may stay at a marina. We met many families "cruising" this way before we had our daughter. What we noticed was the kids loving the time spent with parents, playing outside, catching fish, going crabbing, splashing about in kayaks, using the dinghy, beach combing etc.
We met a very nice family with twin 18 month sons and a very active 4 year old daughter and this family was all together for Labor Day on a 26 foot sailboat. We have seen families with 4 kids from kindergarten to 16 years on a 34 foot aft cabin power boat. It depends on the parents, the kids, the values the parents have taught the kids and a host of other factors including ability to buy and run a bigger boat.
Take a look at this website:
The Curve of Time
It is an amazing story of a widowed mother and her 5 kids cruising Vancouver Island on a 25 foot power boat long before there were out-drives or v-drives to open up cabin space for sleeping.
MVNoPlans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 14:11   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVNoPlans View Post
My wife and I use our boat each weekend from May thru October on Puget Sound. Last June we welcomed a baby girl who just celebrated her 1st birthday upon our 28' 1965 TollyCraft Voyager. We indeed cruise each weekend, and either anchor out, grab a mooring buoy at a State Park, grab space at a State Park Dock, or if we head north to Seattle, we may stay at a marina. We met many families "cruising" this way before we had our daughter. What we noticed was the kids loving the time spent with parents, playing outside, catching fish, going crabbing, splashing about in kayaks, using the dinghy, beach combing etc.
We met a very nice family with twin 18 month sons and a very active 4 year old daughter and this family was all together for Labor Day on a 26 foot sailboat. We have seen families with 4 kids from kindergarten to 16 years on a 34 foot aft cabin power boat. It depends on the parents, the kids, the values the parents have taught the kids and a host of other factors including ability to buy and run a bigger boat.
Take a look at this website:
The Curve of Time
It is an amazing story of a widowed mother and her 5 kids cruising Vancouver Island on a 25 foot power boat long before there were out-drives or v-drives to open up cabin space for sleeping.
New baby, congrats, that must be fun for you guys.
Thanks for sharing the link. I knew that I wouldn't have been the only one to take 5 kids on a boat
Old 14-06-2013, 10:13   #12

Boat: CL52

Hi Galaxy Girl, I was reading your post and decided i should register to chime in on your post.
I grew up cruising with my dad and his friends on a 24ft sailboat in the pacific north-west. At times we had up to 7 people on that boat for 2 week long trips. Kids and boats go together, whether it is power or sail. We take our (2) kids cruising on a 42' power boat in the pacific northwest as well.. We take kayaks, crab pots, shrimp pots, dinghies, tents, fishing gear, etc. They are never bored. We dont turn the TV on. Sailboats seem to sleep more people in their stock form. Sailing catamarans hold tons of people, have lots of room inside and out, are stable at see, sail at a pretty good clip and are pretty easy to handle even for novice sailors. They also motor around at a good clip as well.That being said, If you want a power boat to sleep , say seven people, consider buying a new one and having one of the state rooms made into a cabin with 4 bunks instead of one queen. Or maybe buy a used one and have one cabin converted. I have seen a few tug style trawlers with this conversion for the same reason- lots of kids or family members.
Being introduced to boating by my dad is one of the most sacred gifts he gave to me. Your kids will really thank you for it later, whether it is on a power or sail boat.
Captain Bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 20:17   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bligh View Post
Hi Galaxy Girl, I was reading your post and decided i should register to chime in on your post.
I grew up cruising with my dad and his friends on a 24ft sailboat in the pacific north-west. At times we had up to 7 people on that boat for 2 week long trips. Kids and boats go together, whether it is power or sail. We take our (2) kids cruising on a 42' power boat in the pacific northwest as well.. We take kayaks, crab pots, shrimp pots, dinghies, tents, fishing gear, etc. They are never bored. We dont turn the TV on. Sailboats seem to sleep more people in their stock form. Sailing catamarans hold tons of people, have lots of room inside and out, are stable at see, sail at a pretty good clip and are pretty easy to handle even for novice sailors. They also motor around at a good clip as well.That being said, If you want a power boat to sleep , say seven people, consider buying a new one and having one of the state rooms made into a cabin with 4 bunks instead of one queen. Or maybe buy a used one and have one cabin converted. I have seen a few tug style trawlers with this conversion for the same reason- lots of kids or family members.
Being introduced to boating by my dad is one of the most sacred gifts he gave to me. Your kids will really thank you for it later, whether it is on a power or sail boat.
Thanks Captain for registering to give me feedback. I appreciate the kind words and support. We are very excited to begin and I'll be glad when everything is sorted out.
Old 19-06-2013, 04:25   #14

Boat: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Re: Powerboat Cuisers with Kids?

Greetings from another powerboater. My family used to spend weeks at a time on our beamy 28 foot aft cabin cruiser with no problems at all, but then there were only 4 of us.

Are you going to be living aboard? What sort of cruising do you plan on doing? Are you thinking of something with a bit of speed, or more of a slow and steady trawler?
Dave0549jv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 04:35   #15

Boat: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Re: Powerboat Cuisers with Kids?

Fleming makes some really lovely yachts under 70' that sleep 6 comfortably, as do Grand Banks.
Dave0549jv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kids