Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2013, 13:45   #76

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Passagemaking question???

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
Chris,
This boat is amazing. But, the size, I figured it was probably a stretch for me jumping into a 65' with no experience. On the other hand, I suppose it doesn't make much differnce. I can't take either out without first having many lessons. But, wonder if I would need a crew (other than my teens)? Price is real nice, too.

Yeah, it's a bit bigger, but then again the difference between 65' and 82' would probably to seem like much less of a jump than say, 30' to 65'. And as you say, since you'll need training anyway...

You and Mom and comptetent teens -- remembering all those if/assuming statements I usually add -- could to it.

The portions we could see of that boat looked as good as the pictures, and we we seeing it at the same place those pics were taken. Just happened to be in the same marina as a local restaurant we went to one day for lunch.

My Admiral was a bit impressed too. Although not quite enough to ask whether her little grand piano might fit aboard...

You'd have to examine and consider the interior layout, though. Obviously.

-Chris
Old 12-02-2013, 20:05   #77

Quote:
Hello all,
For several months I have been researching and flipping through Yachtworld trying to figure out what boat I need and will possibly purchase this Spring. I think that I may have narrowed it down. I need a comfortable liveaboard with 4 or 5 staterooms (kids). I would like to be at 65' as to be manageable. I definitely need a boat that I can one day cross oceans in. I do not want to upgrade later when my kids are off to college and I'm ready to travel the world. I need something affordable. I think that a 65' Hat or a 66' Choey Lee might be the way to go for me.

My question is: What exactly makes a boat a LRC. I noticed that the LRC's have a greater fuel capacity and water capacity. Is that it?

Also, can I refit a larger tank in a motor yacht to make it long range?

Does one actually need a "LRC" for world travel or is the larger holding tank just a convenience while purchasing and storing fuel at a good price?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
at first glance i would say you don't need a LRC you need a houseboat cause with that many kids they will need access to institutions of learning, friends, activities, they cant access in the middle of the ocean. I'm assuming you don't have the resources to own a mega yatch with helo deck and a helocopter. If you wish something more grass roots there are lots of more modest very seaworthy vessels to choose from. If your thinking sail for fuel savings then you are forgetting all the added upkeep for tackle rigging and sails which are not cheap. Sail or power neither comes cheap in a LRC
Good luck and God bless

Britt
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 06:12   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
at first glance i would say you don't need a LRC you need a houseboat cause with that many kids they will need access to institutions of learning, friends, activities, they cant access in the middle of the ocean. I'm assuming you don't have the resources to own a mega yatch with helo deck and a helocopter. If you wish something more grass roots there are lots of more modest very seaworthy vessels to choose from. If your thinking sail for fuel savings then you are forgetting all the added upkeep for tackle rigging and sails which are not cheap. Sail or power neither comes cheap in a LRC
Good luck and God bless

Britt
Thanks for the reply Britt. This thread is actually a bit outdated now. Houseboats arn't my thing as they don't really move, but thanks for the suggestion.
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 15:33   #79

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Britt. This thread is actually a bit outdated now. Houseboats arn't my thing as they don't really move, but thanks for the suggestion.
But then neither do trawlers cept at 7-9knt's

Your welcome Galaxy Girl. Houseboats are clunky, I agree, trawlers are beautiful and well made ones fit to the water like they were one. I love boats that sail like they and the water were one. My first boat like that was a 250 searay sundancer and that boat loved the water. Since 1989 I've had many boats with few of them meeting the above standard. A couple of DeFever designs and Willard I've experianced seem to. So, did you get your trawler?

God bless
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote