Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2009, 04:56   #1

Boat: 36' Carver Aft Cabin---River Rats
Send a message via AIM to USFREIGHT
Owens Concorde

Does anyone know anything about Owens boats? I know some were plywood but I have seen a listing of a 40ft Concorde with twin power that says it's fiberglass......Is it just over the plywood and if it's a decent boat at all? It is a 70 model....Thanks
USFREIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2009, 14:41   #2
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
I can't answer your questions definitely, but here's my impression of the Owens Concorde. It was a budget boat when it was built. The late 60's I do think they were fiberglass over plywood. Main problem is I have never seen one with diesels.

Don't confuse these with the Concorde brand of boat which was a battleship and is sought after by people with limited budgets looking for an older cruiser. The Owens (brand) Concorde (model) will go for around $30-40k (I see two for sale under $20k), where the same size boat in the Concorde brand will be $50-70k.

The Concorde (brand) was on my short list when I was looking (none available at the time cheap enough for me), but I crossed the Owens off the list early on.

I don't know how you plan to use a boat, but unless you mainly intend to use it for short weekend jaunts, I wouldn't consider gas power for anything over about 30'.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2009, 07:40   #3

Boat: 36' Carver Aft Cabin---River Rats
Send a message via AIM to USFREIGHT
Thank you
USFREIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 08:13   #4

Boat: 33Owens Concorde-Kokomo North
I just joined the forum so this is my first post-on any forum for that matter. I've had a 33 Owens Brigantine for 2 years now and this is one tough boat-very solid. I've had several other boats before including Chris Craft and Carver and none were built better than this one. It has gone through 6 footers in northern Lake Michigan and in my home area on Lake Huron's North Channel without a whimper. This one is all fiberglass so I can't comment on the wood models.
goin2slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 08:15   #5

Boat: 33Owens Concorde-Kokomo North
Forgot to add: this is the Owens Concorde
goin2slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 10:36   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacust View Post
... Don't confuse these with the Concorde brand of boat which was a battleship and is sought after by people with limited budgets looking for an older cruiser. The Owens (brand) Concorde (model) will go for around $30-40k (I see two for sale under $20k), where the same size boat in the Concorde brand will be $50-70k...
I'm confused.

From History of the Owens Yacht Company
Owens Yacht Marque Club - History

“... By the 1960s the Owens brothers had retired and no longer took an active part in the business. The Owens Company became a division of the Brunswick Corporation which operated the business for ten years before selling the boat building division to Test Concorde Inc. The division was renamed Concorde Yacht Division - Brunswick Corp., but still retained the Owens name for the boats. In the early 1970s the Concorde Yacht Division ran into financial difficulties and liquidated the entire production facility eliminating almost all historical material from the original Owens Company...”

From ➥ Concorde Yachts History and Boats for Sale - New and Used Concorde for Sale - BoatQuest.com

“Concorde Yachts can lay claim to what would be considered a divided history. In the 1960’s, the Owens Yacht Company of Annapolis and Baltimore, Maryland became a division of the Brunswick Corporation, and then Brunswick sold the business unit to Test Concorde Incorporated. The Concorde Yacht Division of Brunswick made yachts under the name Owens Concorde until 1974, when Concorde ran into financial trouble and ceased production. These yachts, some flybridges, were built in sizes such as 35 feet and 47 feet long in both sail and motor styles. In 1988, a company named Concorde Yachts began luxury mega sailing yachts production in Chonburi, Thailand. Famous Concorde yacht build projects include “Philanderer,” at 131 feet, and the “Mirabella” I and III (131 feet to 137 feet), all designed by Bruce Farr.”

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 00:02   #7
Obsfucator, Second Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I'm confused.

From History of the Owens Yacht Company
Owens Yacht Marque Club - History

“... By the 1960s the Owens brothers had retired and no longer took an active part in the business. The Owens Company became a division of the Brunswick Corporation which operated the business for ten years before selling the boat building division to Test Concorde Inc. The division was renamed Concorde Yacht Division - Brunswick Corp., but still retained the Owens name for the boats. In the early 1970s the Concorde Yacht Division ran into financial difficulties and liquidated the entire production facility eliminating almost all historical material from the original Owens Company...”

From ➥ Concorde Yachts History and Boats for Sale - New and Used Concorde for Sale - BoatQuest.com

“Concorde Yachts can lay claim to what would be considered a divided history. In the 1960’s, the Owens Yacht Company of Annapolis and Baltimore, Maryland became a division of the Brunswick Corporation, and then Brunswick sold the business unit to Test Concorde Incorporated. The Concorde Yacht Division of Brunswick made yachts under the name Owens Concorde until 1974, when Concorde ran into financial trouble and ceased production. These yachts, some flybridges, were built in sizes such as 35 feet and 47 feet long in both sail and motor styles. In 1988, a company named Concorde Yachts began luxury mega sailing yachts production in Chonburi, Thailand. Famous Concorde yacht build projects include “Philanderer,” at 131 feet, and the “Mirabella” I and III (131 feet to 137 feet), all designed by Bruce Farr.”
When I was looking at the actual boats, the ones advertised as Concorde were the ones that were well built tanks. The one I looked at that was advertised as an Owens Concorde was older and did not impress me at all. But I did not see that one in person, as the surveyors preliminary visit saved me the plane fare.

So maybe it's year and/or model dependent. Or maybe I am just totally off-base.

Whatever the case, from what you post it looks like I was mistaken in thinking they were different manufacturers.

-dan
Old 25-10-2011, 14:11   #8

Boat: 1970 Concorde 35 MY
Re: Owens Concorde

Greetings.

Having recently acquired a 1970 Concorde 35, I starting doing some research on the vessel. There is not much info online, as the people participating in this thread seem to know.

I've not been able to confirm the existence of two kinds of Concorde motor yachts, only that the Concorde brand changed hands through twice between 1960 and 1970 - first from the Owens Yacht Corporation to the Brunswick Corporation in a stock-for-stock transaction, then Brunswick sold the division to the Test Corporation out of Florida, approximately 1969. Brunswick originally used the "Owens Concorde" name before transitioning to just "Concorde" some years later. The Test Corporation only used Concorde (and as a footnote, Test Corporation went bankrupt in the early 1970's and all assets including construction documentation, engineering literature and design specifications were liquidated at that time. Such a pity!)

I have seen references to Owens Concordes as "budget" boats of fiberglass over plywood, and Concordes as "well built tanks" but the available information is sketchy. I do know Owens built wooden motor yachts for a number of years. I do not know that there were ever transitional models that were fiberglass over plywood and don't think they built any yachts with that construction (although they did build smaller boats - less than 30’ - that had plywood hulls and mahogany superstructures and larger boats were double planked wood hulls with many mahogany appointments. The boats at that time were branded as “Owens.”)

So, what does this all mean?

In my opinion, there likely are not two 1960's - 1970's built "Concordes", but simply a lineage of vessels constructed over about a ten year or so period. Earlier boats were "Owens Concordes" and in sometime in the latter portion of the 1960's, they dropped the Owens moniker to become "Concordes".

Based on my boat, a 1970 Concorde 35 is a grand motor yacht featuring solid fiberglass hull construction and balsa cored decks. It is indeed a tank of a yacht, and has beautiful lines. I switched out of a 1975 Chris Craft Catalina 35 Dual Cabin - a great MY - and the Concorde is every bit of what the Chris was and, I believe more. Time will, of course, tell on that...

I would be very interested in hearing from any other fiberglass Concorde owners.

Calm seas and blue skies, all...

Cheers,
Capt. Willy
Rochester, NY
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1970 Concorde 35 MY.jpg
Views:	6711
Size:	246.8 KB
ID:	32960  
Capt. Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 14:25   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Capt. Willy.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 15:17   #10

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
There is a 47' fiberglass Concorde aft cabin with Detroit Diesel power in our marina. Very nice looking boat, the owner put it up for sale awhile back. To many steps to get on to the boat for me.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 15:28   #11

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

A friend had an Owens Concorde 33ft sportfisherman in the middle 60s IIRC.
Solid glass hull, plywood cored decks.
Sheerline came back flat to about mid cabin side, and quickly curved down. Flat around cockpit. Unusual color scheme, white hull with kind of orange sherbet deck.
Twin gas V8s
Old 26-10-2011, 10:36   #12
Obsfucator, Second Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Willy View Post
Greetings.

Having recently acquired a 1970 Concorde 35, I starting doing some research on the vessel. There is not much info online, as the people participating in this thread seem to know.

Cheers,
Capt. Willy
Rochester, NY
Thanks for posting. It's a little clearer, now.

And, that's a mighty good looking boat you got there.

-dan
Old 27-10-2011, 08:52   #13

I'm pleased to see my post stirred up some activity on this topic! I hope we can keep each other apprised of any new or relevant info as we come upon it.

I'd love to see any pictures and learn about problems, improvements, modifications, repairs, etc. on your Concordes.

And Dan, thank for your compliment. I agree with you - she is a mighty good looking boat!

Cheers,
Capt. Willy
Rochester, NY
Old 10-11-2011, 10:43   #14

just came upon this website, glad to see other concorde owners! i have been living aboard a 1970 concorde 47 aft cabin for about twelve years. this one has no flybridge[great for going under bridges] and the 871n twin detroits. do a lot of river traveling in ct. and trips to block island and the long island area. been a great boat, built like a battleship! been on bigger chris-crafts and hatteras flush decks, and they still don't have the room this one does. have added an espar diesel furnace, keeps the boat nice and toasty on the coldest winter day. all glass boat with balsa core decks, gets lots of compliments. was inside last winter for $11,000 bottom job, and this winter for a $20,000 awlgrip paint job on cabin top and hull. will never get back whats been put into it $ wise, but absolutely love the boat. i had read that concorde was owens first leap into fiberglass boats. the division was sold to brunswick and then to test concorde, whose ceo had irons in the fire on some island, and neglected to pay the taxes on the company. it was taken over by the government in1968-9, and every year, a few of the hulls that had been laid up were completed and sold. so whether you have a 1968 or a 1975, they were all laid up in1968 or 9. i believe i got this out of soundings quite a few years ago, enjoy you're concordes, they're getting rare! river queen
river queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 13:44   #15

Greetings.

River Queen - glad to hear from you. Interesting info about the hulls. Sounds like you have a great boat. Post a pic or two if you can. I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like to see her!

Joehamfrazer - hi there. Not sure what your comment was about. Can you give us a little more to go on?

Thanks all!

Cheers,
Capt. Willy
Rochester, NY