Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2018, 14:19   #16

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Re: Need Info regarding Tornados

I don't believe that Huck Finn and Jim had any trouble with tornadoes but there were other considerations. Think being innundated by jumping cat fish would be easy? Then there's always Beaufort T. Justice to consider..
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 17:48   #17

Boat: Adams 31 aft cockpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
However, I dont think water spouts have anywhere near the force of fully developed tornados ashore.Attachment 171723
I had the most fun as a youngster board-sailing between three waterspouts which came ashore locally while everyone else was taking refuge - wish I'd been wearing a mask or goggles so I could have kept my eyes open more, but what a blast! Yes they can be quite mild.

I have also had the alarming experience of apparently being chased by a proper one off Sydney one calm summer morning - solid wall of greenwater a hundred metres astern for what seemed like ages, but was probably more like 3 minutes. Nearly killed the old diesel trying to get away, and every time we turned it seemed to follow us, until we got within a hundred metres or so of the shore, whereupon it took a sudden 90 degree turn to the left and went ashore, to the deafening tune of thousands of tons of water pouring back down onto the rock platform nearby. What a sight!

Not long after that another "real one" went up North harbour and ripped a large (80 tons sticks in my head) trawler AND the jetty it was attached to (whole lot more than 80 tons) into the sky, and threw it down in a carpark across the esplanade.

So I wouldn't be underestimating the potential of waterspouts. They don't have the intense ground heat to feed off, but its mostly about what is going on upstairs...
mowerandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 10:08   #18

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat

Have you looked into the risk of down-slope winds in the PNW? What about lettuce fruit and now boxed dry cereal some of these products have nasty bacteria with repeated outbreaks. Then there is North Korea and there nuclear arsenal which( lying Trump) has not neutralized except in a publicity stunt. Life is full of risk and I know from many years on the front line as an MD. Best you don't obsess over the rare birds and think positively. Yes boating in the Caribbean during hurricane season should be avoided, but tornadoes in the Midwest pushes your worries too far. I am soon to be 80 and am still driving in PNW maybe on same roads you drive on. What if I have a stroke at 65 MPH and your car is near mine?
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote