Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2019, 19:43   #16

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Looking to buy used large ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassgow22 View Post
Yes I'm looking at those too, thanks! Do you recommend any good websites or sources to find a good deal? I want to be able to take it down to Rio Dulce to liveaboard would I be able to get there on a houseboat or barge? I'm thinking they wouldn't be able to make the journey! Please correct me if I'm wrong!
No, not the boat for that journey, but you could build one there for way less than $100K.

Or buy a boat there. Mostly sailing vessels for sale, but sometimes the odd house boat. Lots of boats for well under $100K:

https://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...gId=79765&No=0
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 20:01   #17

Boat: 1987 Ericson 38-200

I vote for the SS United States! Maybe they'll take 100k, never know!
drewm3i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 20:10   #18

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
No, not the boat for that journey, but you could build one there for way less than $100K.

Or buy a boat there. Mostly sailing vessels for sale, but sometimes the odd house boat. Lots of boats for well under $100K:

https://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...gId=79765&No=0
I like the KP44 !!! Maybe get it for less now. 60k/70k....... There was a KP46 sold recently in Qld for not much $$$ too. Market must be really down and still falling.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 20:40   #19

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

To recap, you want something that can't go anywhere, that's why it's cheap. And you want it to go somewhere?

I'm not sure you understand the cost of boat ownership.

Is this a joke?
Old 28-08-2019, 21:31   #20

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
To recap, you want something that can't go anywhere, that's why it's cheap. And you want it to go somewhere?

I'm not sure you understand the cost of boat ownership.

Is this a joke?
That was my initial response Then I wondered if it was school holidays somewhere.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 08:35   #21

Before you buy anything, I suggest you know where you’re going to moor/anchor it and make sure you have permission to do so and what the cost is. This is especially critical if the vessel lacks propulsion — for whatever reason. Check insurance, too, and waste removal.
MikeHedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 08:47   #22

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Have you tried looking at government auction sites or bankruptcy sales? For your use a power boat would make most sense but as some others have said living on a none-functional boat (classed as a hulk) has potential problems. A sensible option is to look at something with bad engines but plan to replace them with new SMALL engines. A semi-displacement power boat will usually have engines in the hundreds of Hp but will likely only need 1/10 of that to be perfectly capable of putting to sea. For example a 50ft power boat would likely make 7kn with around a 50hp. This could be 2 25hp outboards.
There are places where you can moor a houseboat, barge boat or float home but there are hard to find otherwise you do need to be prepared and equiped to put to sea.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 08:54   #23

Boat: Pearson 367

http://riodulcechisme.com/index.php?...=1422&Itemid=5

Me thinks you want something like this.

Here's the listings for the only yacht broker in Rio Dulce.
https://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...roker&lineonly
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 08:59   #24

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

Scruton Marine knows of a lot of old boats/ ships that might work...
SVTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 09:09   #25

Boat: KP 46

I had a friend who bought a small ship, 200’ ex navy 2 hatch freight ship. (sistership to Mr. Roberts).

She was a good vessel, (I took her from Astoria down to La Paz for a year, then out to Tahiti and on to Fiji). She was in fairly good condition when he bought her but even so she took a lot of continual work. She was expensive to run, even at the dock. Had old Cleveland mains and gen sets. Lots of power required just keep the ship lit and pumps running. We put a Cat genset on her, rigged twin headsails for downwind. It was a fun project and a nice sail west but she took a lot of care and money just in the day to day upkeep and maintenance. Fairly complex switchgear, batteries, boiler for hot water, heating, plumbing etc. Even getting the windlass running was complex. Also, lots of regs for vessels over 500 tons. IOPP certificate, etc, load line cert, (not to mention Black water treatment plant etc.)

Lots of work, and I had a crew of 6 working for over two years. You may wish to do a bit more research into this.
M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 09:39   #26

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklesandjesse View Post
I like the KP44 !!! Maybe get it for less now. 60k/70k....... There was a KP46 sold recently in Qld for not much $$$ too. Market must be really down and still falling.
I agree that the KP is a great boat for somebody to sail, but for the OPs purposes, he should consider the Allmand pilothouse might be a better solution, at less than half the price. Nice to have good visibility in that locale...
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 09:48   #27

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Quote:
Hi Jim thanks for your input! I'm looking for a boat that can just float since I plan to just anchor it and use it as a live board and not do any cruising. So I'm hoping to find a good deal on boats that are otherwise very hard to sell since they may have bad engines, other issues that might render it useless for cruising but would still be fine for liveaboard. Does that make sense? If it doesn't please let me know any potential issues!!
You've walked into a bit of a conundrum here man. You see, the live aboards on here are under constant pressure from authorities trying to rid the anchorages of the world of people like you. PLEASE do not buy an old hulk that you cannot afford to maintain or live on and anchor it in some bay only to allow it to slowly sink and cause both an environmental and navigational hazard. You will give the honest hard working live aboards a bad name.
Old 29-08-2019, 09:52   #28

I plan to maintain the boat in good condition. I'm looking to liveaboard in sheltered locations like rio dulce on the hook. I don't plan to do much cruising, which is why I would consider boats with older or even broken engines (that i could fix or replace with smaller engines) as long as the price is right. I'm just looking for places to look to buy the largest boats possible for the lowest price. Thank you for all the replies so far, very helpful and informative!
Glassgow22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 10:17   #29

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

Quote:
Hi guys I have a budget of about $100k and I'm looking to buy the largest used boat as possible. Old luxury yachts, used old cruise ships that may not be functioning well would be perfect. I'm not really looking to cruise but as a liveaboard so I don't mind problem boats or boats that need major repair. I've been looking through Craigslist, boats.com,boat trader, ebay but does anyone have recommendations of other avenues to expand my search? Are there special boat auctions or online source I'm not aware of? Thanks for any advice!!!

I have an Irwin43 Sail Boat with a large interior under your budget,
ph, 904-887-6221 lets discuss,

Alan.
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 10:19   #30

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

https://www.boats-and-harbors.com