Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2019, 17:35   #1

Looking to buy used large ship

Hi guys I have a budget of about $100k and I'm looking to buy the largest used boat as possible. Old luxury yachts, used old cruise ships that may not be functioning well would be perfect. I'm not really looking to cruise but as a liveaboard so I don't mind problem boats or boats that need major repair. I've been looking through Craigslist, boats.com,boat trader, ebay but does anyone have recommendations of other avenues to expand my search? Are there special boat auctions or online source I'm not aware of? Thanks for any advice!!!
Glassgow22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 17:37   #2

Re: Looking to buy used large ship

How much is your monthly budget?
Shenandoah52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 17:44   #3

Monthly expense is not an issue (paid for by work
Old 28-08-2019, 17:47   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Are you serious: "used old cruise ships that may not be functioning well would be perfect."?

I hope that there is a miscommunication here, for the idea of using a cruise ship of any age as a live aboard is a bit OTT, even for CF!

Tell us that you were joking... or explain how you rationalize your budget and this idea.

Jim
Old 28-08-2019, 17:47   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

If you only want it as a liveaboard platform then look for houseboats and barges. If its just going to sit most of the time all stuff related to boat propulsion is just an unecessary maintenance problem.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 17:52   #6

Hi Jim thanks for your input! I'm looking for a boat that can just float since I plan to just anchor it and use it as a live board and not do any cruising. So I'm hoping to find a good deal on boats that are otherwise very hard to sell since they may have bad engines, other issues that might render it useless for cruising but would still be fine for liveaboard. Does that make sense? If it doesn't please let me know any potential issues!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Are you serious: "used old cruise ships that may not be functioning well would be perfect."?

I hope that there is a miscommunication here, for the idea of using a cruise ship of any age as a live aboard is a bit OTT, even for CF!

Tell us that you were joking... or explain how you rationalize your budget and this idea.

Jim
Old 28-08-2019, 17:54   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
If you only want it as a liveaboard platform then look for houseboats and barges. If its just going to sit most of the time all stuff related to boat propulsion is just an unecessary maintenance problem.
Yes I'm looking at those too, thanks! Do you recommend any good websites or sources to find a good deal? I want to be able to take it down to Rio Dulce to liveaboard would I be able to get there on a houseboat or barge? I'm thinking they wouldn't be able to make the journey! Please correct me if I'm wrong!
Old 28-08-2019, 18:05   #8

Where are you located? There is a hundred foot steel boat here in Key West they could be perfect for you the owner wants to move to Ecuador
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 18:07   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
Where are you located? There is a hundred foot steel boat here in Key West they could be perfect for you the owner wants to move to Ecuador
Yes that would be perfect! Do you know where I can get photos and price and more information?
Old 28-08-2019, 18:09   #10

I am anchor 400 yards from him in Key West Harbor. Tomorrow I will get you contact information
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 18:16   #11

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassgow22 View Post
Hi Jim thanks for your input! I'm looking for a boat that can just float since I plan to just anchor it and use it as a live board and not do any cruising. So I'm hoping to find a good deal on boats that are otherwise very hard to sell since they may have bad engines, other issues that might render it useless for cruising but would still be fine for liveaboard. Does that make sense? If it doesn't please let me know any potential issues!!
Glassgow, your thread title said "used LARGE SHIP" and your post said "OLD CRUISE SHIPS". These terms usually are applied to vessels of thousands of tons displacement, and that seems at odds with your budget (and with your purported usage).

So, it appears that what you really meant was some sort of normal cruising sailboat or powerboat that was inexpensive due to some defect that prevented it's being used normally.

If that is the case, I'd not recommend your scheme, for it is exactly this mindset that leads to derelict boats clogging anchorages and infuriating the local householders and constabulary. There are plenty of threads here on CF bemoaning exactly what you are proposing to do, for it leaves a dirty wake for all the regular cruisers who pass through the area.

And the idea of deliberately establishing a residence on an anchored vessel that is not operable or seaworthy raises sharp safety issues, both for yourself and for any neighboring vessels. And nowadays, many (most?) marinas require that residents' boats must be operable, and prove it by demonstration periodically.

Please reconsider your plan in light of these factors.

Jim
Old 28-08-2019, 18:22   #12

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

I don't think anything with draft over 7 feet can cross the bar into the Rio.....I saw no large boats when I was there, have two coffees and think it through.......plus the Rio is full of liveaboard boats for sale many really cheap as its a place dreams go to die......
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 18:33   #13

The irony here is that a quick look on Craigslist shows a 58' Bertram for $99K in Panama that would make a great live aboard and get to Rio Dulce on it's own bottom. I was a live aboard on a sportfisher for 8 years and it wasn't anywhere near 58'. It was awesome and boy did it attract the ladies... )

Why would you want to live on an old steel boat with the discomforts that would bring? Space? You might want to rethink that.

(No offense to steel boats well taken care of.)
Shenandoah52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 19:04   #14
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Fool's errand, "old cruise ships" LOL.

Increase your experience and knowledge level first.

Have a spot where you know you can keep it, before you buy it.

If it can't travel far, then by definition look for available boats near where you're going to park it.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 19:27   #15
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

“Old Cruise Ships”

You are in luck, here is a web page with your choice of vessels for sale:

Cruise Ships for Sale

Browsing though the list you may notice the SS United States: Technically not a Cruise Ship, but rather an ocean liner from the golden ages of trans Atlantic voyaging, that being said, she may serve your needs: A tiny bit of refurbishment needed perhaps, but still a bargain @ $15,000,000.00.
Good Luck and hat of to you Sir/Madam.